Sponsored

Best Exhaust Choices

icemang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
I got my '17 GT a few months ago, listened to so many videos and after trying to figure it out for a while I went with Solo Performance Mach Thunder. I am really happy with it, nice deep tone, it can be loud above ~3000 RPM. It gets a little raspy when in the high RPMs but I think this motor just does that anyway. I have yet to hear anything on this motor that gets rid of any rasp.

My buddy has a Corsa Extreme which a lot of people like (and I do too, but it has more of an exotic and somewhat raspy sound...) We rode in his for a bit and then rode in mine, after listening and talking with him about it we determined a few things...

With the Corsa Extreme (Auto)- the mufflers are at the back just before the tips -- This, in our opinion lowers the 'in cabin' volume of the Corsa because its piped straight back towards the backend and then muffles it, etc.
With the Solo Performance (Manual)- the muffler is right in the center - under the gearbox (roughly) --- This, in our opinion causes a bit more cabin noise since it's right under you. While in cabin, I get deeper tones throughout the gears from about 1500RPM and up, not bad, but noticibly louder in cabin than the Corsa Extreme.

-edit- I added a note for mine is Manual and his is Auto, this also should be considered as with his auto he had to stomp on it to make it loud (if not in sport mode, paddle shift mode) -- But for me, in a manual, I can vary the volume at will much easier. I did not think about this at all when I purchased, just wanted to throw it out there. -edit-

So, for me, I am very happy with the Mach Thunder. For me, it's perfect as I can keep it mostly quiet but it also can be pretty loud in the higher RPMs. After reading your description - I would probably recommend the Mach XV - Also, something with Solo I like is that if I want to change loudness, I can just swap the middle part for XPipe or 11"/18" muffler. So if you got the Mach XV and wanted to go louder you could just change the middle part so is should be a lot cheaper.

My friend that has the Corsa Extreme is a mechanic, so I trusted him to be the judge of "drone". He said mine didn't have any drone, but was loud while accelerating in certain situations (I mistook it for drone). It has a deep tone in the car while accelerating at certain RPM's - But I think this is somewhat due to the loudness of the exhaust and my inexperience with these things. (This is my first sports car, have driven SUV's for the past 15ish years)

Hopefully this helped a bit, let me know if you have questions, I will try to answer.
I am in the Phoenix area if you want to hear the Mach Thunder in person.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It really has a great rumble stop light to stop light. No real drone that I can tell. Like most exhaust you don't get its final sound until you put some miles on it. I only driven about 50 so far. It has a sharper bass tone which I perceive as more aggressive sounding than some of the deeper exhausts. MRT is the only one withstanding or the full ARH exhaust w/headers...

When I added my exhaust on my other Mustang it took a few hundred miles to settle in on volume and tone. Tone is not dramatically changed but usually rounds off a bit so to speak.
Appreciate your post, would love to hear your input as you break it in and any changes thereafter. I just don't want to be obnoxious from stop light to stop light, and your post helps ease that fear. The Mach XV is a strong option for me right now.

OP
OP

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I got my '17 GT a few months ago, listened to so many videos and after trying to figure it out for a while I went with Solo Performance Mach Thunder. I am really happy with it, nice deep tone, it can be loud above ~3000 RPM. It gets a little raspy when in the high RPMs but I think this motor just does that anyway. I have yet to hear anything on this motor that gets rid of any rasp.

My buddy has a Corsa Extreme which a lot of people like (and I do too, but it has more of an exotic and somewhat raspy sound...) We rode in his for a bit and then rode in mine, after listening and talking with him about it we determined a few things...

With the Corsa Extreme (Auto)- the mufflers are at the back just before the tips -- This, in our opinion lowers the 'in cabin' volume of the Corsa because its piped straight back towards the backend and then muffles it, etc.
With the Solo Performance (Manual)- the muffler is right in the center - under the gearbox (roughly) --- This, in our opinion causes a bit more cabin noise since it's right under you. While in cabin, I get deeper tones throughout the gears from about 1500RPM and up, not bad, but noticibly louder in cabin than the Corsa Extreme.

-edit- I added a note for mine is Manual and his is Auto, this also should be considered as with his auto he had to stomp on it to make it loud (if not in sport mode, paddle shift mode) -- But for me, in a manual, I can vary the volume at will much easier. I did not think about this at all when I purchased, just wanted to throw it out there. -edit-

So, for me, I am very happy with the Mach Thunder. For me, it's perfect as I can keep it mostly quiet but it also can be pretty loud in the higher RPMs. After reading your description - I would probably recommend the Mach XV - Also, something with Solo I like is that if I want to change loudness, I can just swap the middle part for XPipe or 11"/18" muffler. So if you got the Mach XV and wanted to go louder you could just change the middle part so is should be a lot cheaper.

My friend that has the Corsa Extreme is a mechanic, so I trusted him to be the judge of "drone". He said mine didn't have any drone, but was loud while accelerating in certain situations (I mistook it for drone). It has a deep tone in the car while accelerating at certain RPM's - But I think this is somewhat due to the loudness of the exhaust and my inexperience with these things. (This is my first sports car, have driven SUV's for the past 15ish years)

Hopefully this helped a bit, let me know if you have questions, I will try to answer.
I am in the Phoenix area if you want to hear the Mach Thunder in person.
Awesome post, thanks! I do drive an automatic as well. Definitely considering the Mach XV the most right now. Main things were of course drone, the deep rumble, and not being obnoxious from stop light to stop light. If the drivability of the Thunder is okay, I would assume I wouldnt have any issues with the volume of the Mach XV during daily driving.

Appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed post.

icemang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
Awesome post, thanks! I do drive an automatic as well. Definitely considering the Mach XV the most right now. Main things were of course drone, the deep rumble, and not being obnoxious from stop light to stop light. If the drivability of the Thunder is okay, I would assume I wouldnt have any issues with the volume of the Mach XV during daily driving.

Appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed post.
No problem, glad to help out as I know it can be tedious finding something that suits each persons specific needs. I did want to clarify that if I floor it each gear and push the RPMs above 3000 it can be obnoxious and it will scream above 5000. But... I don't mind that occasionally, that was what I was going for. With an auto transmission, I would keep an eye on where your shift points are throughout your different driving styles. It could help gauge where your volume would be (for my car, manual 3.73 gears)...

0-2500: louder than stock but a nice deep tone
2500-3500: clear that you have aftermarket exhaust, gets louder tone, not really any rasp yet
3500-and up: progressively gets louder, more rasp, annoy the neighbors, :headbang: , etc

If your below 3500rpm for the most part, I think a Mach XV would be perfect.

Also, forgot to note that it does grumble a bit when taking the foot off the gas, especially in lower gears, slight popping, but not loud.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
I'll just leave these here. No drone, hearty tone, screaming WOT, fits like a glove and the quality is top notch. Massive 4.5" tips too ;)
Matt from Krona is also a badass dude in general. He's worked on everything from R8 exhausts to Saab to the Eco and now GT.
Shoot me a DM and I can see about hooking you up.

[ame]

[ame]

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I'll just leave these here. No drone, hearty tone, screaming WOT, fits like a glove and the quality is top notch. Massive 4.5" tips too ;)
Matt from Krona is also a badass dude in general. He's worked on everything from R8 exhausts to Saab to the Eco and now GT.
Shoot me a DM and I can see about hooking you up.

Sounds nice. Too bad there is no videos of it under load

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The XV seems like a good catback. I've not heard it in person but there's lots of favorable reviews. Because its axle-back section is straight through and no mufflers, even with their mid muffler that replaces the resonator, it's going to be loud. Certainly not crazy by any means, but definitely louder than many catbacks available. I've not heard it to compare drone or cruising sound levels, but what I can tell you is that the Borla systems have no drone, but still a deep humming tone at highway speed. The corsa systems are silent on the highway.

I have the Sport axleback with the factory resonator. I think it's great but could still be a touch loud for some. It's pretty throaty when you get on it, and has an aggressive bark. It's very similar to the Xtreme except deeper and significantly quieter. The Borla S-type catback is louder inside and out, but similarly aggressive. Corsa's are known for having a bit higher pitch than some, but I feel they let the Coyote sing as it's meant to. Their Touring axleback is the best bet for the Corsa tone without a big jump in volume (still a healthy increase over stock though...7 dB per Corsa). I gave some video in the Corsa Sport Axle-Back thread of mine.
The cat backs from Solo use the same pipes as the axleback. The difference is the stock resonator vs the mid-mufflers for XV and Thunder, or resonator-less x-pipe for Street. From what I've read, the axleback is slightly louder than the XV catback, but I've not heard the axleback in person to confirm.

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
How loud is the XV, something that would blend well with a daily driver? Regarding the rattle, is that something they wouldn't cover and exchange for you? Thanks
The XV is perfect for a daily driver. It's got enough volume and tone while accelerating that you know it's there without being obnoxious, and at cruising speed (highway or even around town), it's barely audible with absolutely no drone.

I honestly believe the rattle had something to do with the exhaust shop welding the clamps on at the back where the mid-pipe comes to the tailpipes. I bought the thunder midsection to replace the XV, so I can't confirm that. I've been thinking about grinding the welds off and using the clamps from the thunder mid section and reinstalling the XV mid, I just haven't had time to do it. I might do it while I'm off work the week between Christmas and new year. I'll try to report back if I can remember to.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Sounds nice. Too bad there is no videos of it under load
Ask and ye shall receive. Sorry for the quality. This was from the file that IG saved to my phone. Somehow deleted the original.

[ame]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The XV is perfect for a daily driver. It's got enough volume and tone while accelerating that you know it's there without being obnoxious, and at cruising speed (highway or even around town), it's barely audible with absolutely no drone.

I honestly believe the rattle had something to do with the exhaust shop welding the clamps on at the back where the mid-pipe comes to the tailpipes. I bought the thunder midsection to replace the XV, so I can't confirm that. I've been thinking about grinding the welds off and using the clamps from the thunder mid section and reinstalling the XV mid, I just haven't had time to do it. I might do it while I'm off work the week between Christmas and new year. I'll try to report back if I can remember to.
How do you purchase the Mach XV or Thunder midsections by themselves?

Sponsored

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
How do you purchase the Mach XV or Thunder midsections by themselves?
I called Solo and ordered direct from them.

Do you have one you are looking for in particular? I am about to replace my thunder with the XV again to see if the clamps were the cause of the rattle. If they were, and the rattle is gone, I will probably be willing to part with the Thunder mid section.

I say "about to", but it could be between Christmas/new year before I have the opportunity.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I called Solo and ordered direct from them.

Do you have one you are looking for in particular? I am about to replace my thunder with the XV again to see if the clamps were the cause of the rattle. If they were, and the rattle is gone, I will probably be willing to part with the Thunder mid section.

I say "about to", but it could be between Christmas/new year before I have the opportunity.
I'm considering replacing my stock resonator with a resonated X-pipe/X-muffler. What I'm not sure is of the two Solo offerings, which one would be similar to the resonator in volume. I'm thinking it might be the Thunder one.

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I'm considering replacing my stock resonator with a resonated X-pipe/X-muffler. What I'm not sure is of the two Solo offerings, which one would be similar to the resonator in volume. I'm thinking it might be the Thunder one.
If I had to guess, I would say the Mach XV would be closest because it is the quietest of the two. The Mach XV has the X pipe encased in an 18" muffler whereas the Thunder is 11".

From what you have stated before, the stock resonator does a lot to keep the volume in check so I would lean towards the Mach XV.