Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Would be great if it's only $550..
The Tomtop unit, from November 2015 and on, has fixed its clock issue. The only real remaining flaw of that system is that it displays temperature in Celsius only (just add 32 in your head). I certainly wouldn't pay $300 more for just that...

To my knowledge only one person has actually received a defective Tomtop unit. A few others noted blue screens rather than the reverse camera, but were resolved after checking connections.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Every single head unit you can buy for your car in the aftermarket is made in China.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I see. Well, without divulging too much, I can tell you that both Rosen and Advent (Audiovox) both create the user interface with strong attention to the end user. So... they make it for an American, English speaker. This costs more money. Worth it? Well... if the Chinese pulled off a cheaper one to your satisfaction, then no. With Rosen and Advent, you're also paying for finishing touches, sometimes a better screen (since they have to warranty it for real), and customer/dealer support, which is beneficial come the need to use a warranty or for firmware updates, etc., etc. Worth it? Only you can decide (and usually the screens are same/similar). I'm not advocating either... just stating there is some additional value in the "branded" units... to some.

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback
I see. Well, without divulging too much, I can tell you that both Rosen and Advent (Audiovox) both create the user interface with strong attention to the end user. So... they make it for an American, English speaker. This costs more money. Worth it? Well... if the Chinese pulled off a cheaper one to your satisfaction, then no. With Rosen and Advent, you're also paying for finishing touches, sometimes a better screen (since they have to warranty it for real), and customer/dealer support, which is beneficial come the need to use a warranty or for firmware updates, etc., etc. Worth it? Only you can decide (and usually the screens are same/similar). I'm not advocating either... just stating there is some additional value in the "branded" units... to some.

Dude. Of course the branded units would have additional value. You're reading into my posts too much. I simply pointed out that the $299 Tomtop is a better purchase than the $550 unit mentioned above from Alibaba. I've seen both units installed and they are mirror copies of each other. My comments have absolutely nothing to do with branded units. Especially because, so far, no one has mass produced any. I'm referring to the Chinese "celsius display" models. That's what I was referring to when I said "made in China." Hopefully that clears up the message I was trying to get across.

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback

Sponsored

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
In think the bezel looks a lot better than the TomTop. Also, does it include the toggle switches that are in the pic?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can't believe anyone would pay good money for any of this cheap off brand Chinese crap. $300 maybe, but still a crappy deal, double that, no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoffyH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Conv. Magnetic 051A Group Leather Seats
Well that's your opinion, & have of course you've got an alternative USA built unit for $300 ??

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well that's your opinion, & have of course you've got an alternative USA built unit for $300 ??

Nope no good options out there, but shitty options don't make it any better. I just keep thinking its gold mine when it seems like everyone is chomping at the bit to spend money on crap products. Yep, just my opinion.

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Can't believe anyone would pay good money for any of this cheap off brand Chinese crap. $300 maybe, but still a crappy deal, double that, no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You probably forgot 80% of what you probably own is made in China...LOL
Sponsored