N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Like I've always said.. with E85 cut yer change interval to 50% of normal.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Highly recommended to go with the heavier oil...of course they are going to push their oil.

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
Interesting. I assumed that any fuel in the engine oil would be evaporated once the oil maintains full operating temperature for enough time. In other words, it wouldn't continue to dilute the oil and thereby reduce its viscosity.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
My thoughts, that’s one of the worst car articles I’ve read in some time…I think you should use a good quality full synthetic and change it every 3-4k miles.

There is no way in hell that e85 dilutes the oil on a modern direct injection engine more than an older carbed engine would. The same logic would hold that more fuel = more dilution, so a fuel thirsty V8 would dilute the oil more than a 4 cylinder just because it needs more gas.

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Also the punchline of the article is that fuel dilution turns your oil from a 40w to a 30w. Ummm no? Alcohol isn’t a lubricant. It turns your oil into contaminated 40w. Meaning it needs to be changed sooner, not have the oil be thicker to start out with 🤦

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Also the punchline of the article is that fuel dilution turns your oil from a 40w to a 30w. Ummm no? Alcohol isn’t a lubricant. It turns your oil into contaminated 40w. Meaning it needs to be changed sooner, not have the oil be thicker to start out with 🤦
I was just typing this basically. If you're changing oil after a very few thousand miles like most of us are doing, then how does a heavier weight oil even break down to a thinner viscosity by running high burning fuel? I've never heard any of this before, not even Coyote engine builders say this.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
IMO, the article is poorly written, interchanging several words and definitions incorrectly.

E85 is less energy dense than gasoline, so you use more of it, increasing the amount of or potential for greater fuel dilution/contamination. "Dilution" to mean a greater amount of unspent fuel, contaminants and by-products left in the oil.

E85 doesn't change the viscosity of the oil and many modern oils are E85 compatible. Unless there's another change to the engine (boosted application for example), increased oil change intervals without a viscosity change are all that's necessary.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The punchline of the article is "buy Driven racing oil".
Sponsored