stangyota

stangyota

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
thank you everyone, this was a great read. great points and input. to clarify what i meant about " i am not subjecting my investment to winter elements" is that i have invested alot of time and money to mod the car. I have done all the mods on the car, CAI, LTH, Barton short throw shifter, Bear sport rotors, 20 inch rims with 305r 255f, SW exhaust, BMR lowering springs, Alfarex head lights, euro style brake lights smoked, to name a few. So for me i prefer not to drive in winter weather, plus i think the 305's would be horible in the snow. So as some said " why wouldn't you" is perhaps a beter thed. Thanks everyone!!!!
Sponsored

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I live in WA. It rains almost every week. Our icy roads donā€™t get salted, they pour a special mixture of some sort. Because it rains so much, it washes away any salt that may be on the roads and thrown up under the car.

Thatā€™s why I still drive my GT in the winter instead of putting it away. Except when it dumps snow and I physically canā€™t drive out of my driveway.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I live in WA. It rains almost every week. Our icy roads donā€™t get salted, they pour a special mixture of some sort. Because it rains so much, it washes away any salt that may be on the roads and thrown up under the car.

Thatā€™s why I still drive my GT in the winter instead of putting it away. Except when it dumps snow and I physically canā€™t drive out of my driveway.
The gravel sure does suck though. Didn't see as much this year, don't know if they took it easy on us or if they're over budget again.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Sure I'll play. This is the most expensive 85 to 93 GT in the country today:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b010d9d7-f435-4ce7-bcd0-a2aa0ca0e150/

$42,500 in today's money is worth roughly $17,600 in 1990. The MSRP of 1990 convertible GT was $19,864.

So after storing the car for 33 years (which includes maintenance and insurance to the tunes of thousands of dollars) the original owner would have turned $20k into $17k. That's what I would call a dumb investment strategy.

Or if you want to talk in today's money, he turned the equivalent of $47k into $42k.
It's only taken my lifetime for that investment to mature, once you subtract storage and maintenance you'd have been much better off with even a basic mutual fund. I love cool cars at least as much as the next guy but you have to be realistic about them. Besides, if I had a mint LX or GT you know I'd be off doing burnouts in it. There's no amount of discipline in the world that'll scratch that itch.
My exact statement: "Apparently you haven't looked for a mint Fox GT lately." At no point did I say they were a good investment. That's what, um, actual investments are for.

However, in the case of many of these mystical Fox GTs, the proverbial original owner probably had fun with the car the whole time and wrote off any and all maintenance and such as part of the game, and eventually selling the car for well over what was originally paid for the car ain't all bad.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
...original owner probably had fun with the car the whole time and wrote off any and all maintenance and such...
That's the one that was usually on the market back when I was looking for them! If you'll recall their reputation back then, you'd usually get at least one trade offer for a few broken down quads whenever you put one up for sale.

Sponsored

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
I drive mine in winter. I've got winter tires on now, but if there is a lot of salt and slush on the road like last week, I might use the Durango for running errands to keep the Mustang clean a little longer. But mostly aesthetics of having a black car and having to wait for a warm snap to wash the car off than 'protecting the investment'. So far handles fine on light snow and ice when I've had it out, pretty much like my last car which was a RWD G37.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
For me, it depends on which car/cars are available to drive. I lived in Germany for over 20 years, and owned only car at a time, so yep those new BMWs, Audis, and one Porsche were driven during the winter. Now I live in 2 different states with different vehicles. I don't have a need to drive the Mustang in bad/winter weather because I have other cars that are more fitted for that ( tires, not lowered, etc).

Bob Lob Law

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT Premium
Mine is a DD. I really like this car, but, they are nothing special.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
When I was younger, I would drive anything I had in the winter; Viper, Vette, Mustang, Camaro, it didn't matter. But, I don't drive much any more (2500 miles a year) and my reflexes and coordination are not as good as they once were. So, when I drive, it's usually the wife's SUV, which I hate driving.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
My Mustang has never seen rain or snow, going on six years now. My wife and I actually have seven vehicles between the two of us. The snow beater is usually the ā€˜05 4Runner or one of the Grand Cherokees.
Same here. In the snow with ice underneath, my FWD Honda with snow tires already slip where the VSC kicks in (with under 120 HP) so can you imagine what trying to drive a RWD with almost 4 times the HP feel like? Nope, it stays in the garage until the roads clear up.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Same here. In the snow with ice underneath, my FWD Honda with snow tires already slip where the VSC kicks in (with under 120 HP) so can you imagine what trying to drive a RWD with almost 4 times the HP feel like? Nope, it stays in the garage until the roads clear up.
I understand your point, but when ice is involved it doesnā€™t matter how many wheel drive you have unless you run studded tires (theyā€™re not allowed here in IL except for certain government vehicles and mail cars). Mine does just fine in snow be it heavy wet snow or light powdery stuff. I grew up driving a boat, 1988 Caprice Classic station wagon that was RWD, so driving my Mustang is a piece of cake compared to that car.

Not saying everyone should drive their Mustangs in the snow either, your car your choice. Itā€™s just not as difficult to drive in snow as many may think it is (with proper tires of course).

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Driving in the winter has nothing to do with how much power the vehicle makes. Throttles are not ON/OFF switches.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I won't drive in the winter or very cold due to my tires, but I have no issue driving my Snek in rain for simple point A to point B šŸ„³

My Explorer and GTI handle the real adverse Minnesota winter conditions šŸ„¶

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
In my experience, most accidents in the winter are caused by people not realizing they can't stop in time and AWD vehicles are usually involved.

The last car I drove regularly in the winter was a Lexus 430SC coupe. A decent set of snow tires on the narrowest and smallest rims that will fit, work great in snow. The Lexus with 16" Toyota wheels looked like a NASCAR racer, but it worked fine. I thought it looked cool.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Mine came with a variable throttle that can be used to vary the engines output considerably down from 460. It also came with traction control should the driver not come equiped with a linear analog foot.
Sponsored