Winter Rubber

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
If you go down that route, can you drop down a wheel size to say 18" rims? Would they fit over the discs and calipers? Looking on eBay there are some good deals for 18" rims with winter tyres, nothing for 19" wheels that I can see.(
They’ll fit yours, but not a GT.
Sponsored

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
I've just had Nokian WRA4s fitted. Load rating of 100 and speed rating V (149mph) About £170 a corner.
Probably the tyres I’d go for had WRA3s on my Jag XF, they were great.

Just asked Ford for clarification as the advice they’re giving doesn’t make sense. They must have guidance on Winter Tyres as they sell the car in Austria where Winters are mandatory.

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
The manual says:
USING SUMMER TIRES
Summer tires provide superior performance on wet and dry roads. Summer tires do not have the Mud and Snow (M+S or M/S) tire traction rating on the tire side wall. Since summer tires do not have the same traction performance as All-season or Snow tires, we do not recommend using summer tires when temperatures drop to about 7°C (45°F) or below (depending on tire wear and environmental conditions) or in snow and ice conditions. Like any tire, summer tire performance is affected by tire wear and environmental conditions. If you must drive in those conditions, we recommend using Mud and Snow (M+S, M/S), All-season or Snow tires.
It goes on to say
USING WINTER TIRES
If winter tires are used you must inflate them to the same tire pressures as those listed in the tire pressure table. See Technical Specifications (page 196).
And then
Snow tires must be the same size, load index, speed rating as those originally provided by Ford. Use of any tire or wheel not recommended by Ford can affect the safety and performance of your vehicle, which could result in an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal injury and death. Additionally, the use of non-recommended tires and wheels could cause steering, suspension, axle, transfer case or power transfer unit failure.
It seems like Ford and their dealers won't recommend a particular brand of winter tyre, but the manual does recommend the use of winter tyres. Slight paradox there. So think we are on our own. Certainly, I'm not going to wait for them; hence fitting reasonable tyres (ie not random Chinese tyres that nobody has ever heard of). For liability reasons and CYA warranty wise, it wouldn't surprise me for them to recommend anything - certainly the manual doesn't mention any brand of tyre.

Wonder if Ford US or Canada recommend anything in particular?

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

I’m having the discussion with Ford customer relationship centre!!

Even went as far as checking the Austrian version of the user manual using google translate. Austria mandates the use of winter tyres but no guidance available.

On balance better with Winter tyres than not, Yokohama’s have been recommended by the local tyre guy

Paul

Last edited:

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
I guess it's a bit academic in the end of the day. Ford recommend the same rating, size and rating. But then, all the decent winter tyres that I can see online available to the UK are all V-rated, so we will never be able to match precisely.

Unless their customer centre reckon that a lower rated winter tyre is acceptable.

Anyway, I think this particular horse has been flogged to death. Buried. Then dug up for a further beating. :) Let us know what they say :)

Sponsored

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

I've now had a answer from Ford Customer Relationship Centre

Ford Mustang ‐ 2.3 Ecoboost
Michelin front & rear 255/40 R19 100V PILOT ALPIN PA4 XL 2554019VALPPA4XL
Continental front & rear 255/40 R19 100V Winter Contact TS 850 P XL 2554019VWTS850XL

Ford Mustang ‐ 5.0 GT
Michelin front 255/40 R19 100V PILOT ALPIN PA4 XL 2554019VALPPA4XL
Michelin rear 275/40 R19 105W PILOT ALPIN PA4 XL 2754019WPA4XL

So it looks OK to have lower speed rated winter tyres . . .

Regards

Paul;

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang ‐ 5.0 GT
Michelin front 255/40 R19 100V PILOT ALPIN PA4 XL 2554019VALPPA4XL
Michelin rear 275/40 R19 105W PILOT ALPIN PA4 XL 2754019WPA4XL

So it looks OK to have lower speed rated winter tyres . . .

Regards

Paul;
And OK to mix speed and load ratings? I suppose that's ok, guess a little bit surprised. Higher rated on the rear than the front, probs better that way round :)

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Having had a set of Nokian WR A4s fitted for just over a week (and around 200 miles), I have to say that despite glowing reviews, I am disappointed. Obviously, I haven't tried them in snow yet, so have to reserve full judgement until then but in current conditions the inspire much less confidence in me than the previously fitted Goodyear Eagle F1s. In cold (below 7 degrees C) and conditions ranging from 'moist' to 'damp' they have offered considerably less grip than the Goodyears. They seem, at best, on a par with the factory fitted Pzeros.

With the Goodyears (admittedly only fitted since last February, the wet/snow mode button has been all but redundant except for in the most extreme wet conditions. I have driven with the Goodyears in conditions at least as cold as current climate and the felt largely unaffected by temperature.

I did drive once in the snow with the factory Pzeros as they were nearing the end of their life and, with a sympathetic left foot, felt they were adequate for the job.

Verdict: probably not worth the financial layout and hassle of having the Nokians fitted. I might chance it year round with the Goodyears next time. I really think the Goodyears are a superb tyre for everyday driving. Though the dry grip may not be as excellent as some higher priced alternatives, they are more than adequate and in some ways safer as lateral grip gives way more progressively than the Pzeros.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
*Sympathetic RIGHT foot (I must have 2 left feet!)

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Have to say after fitting the Kumho tyres to the rear I am impressed. With the weather as it is I’m not getting as much sliding and wheel spin as I previously did with the Pirelli’s.

Would reccommend the Kumhos.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Summer tyres, RWD Mustang and snow - the perfect combination.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The Nokians need about 300-400 miles to fully bed in. Also check your tyres pressures. I run them at 2.2bar cold.

Have to say my experience of them is fantastic. Out and about today, getting the job done.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Up the hill close to where I live.... theres no chance im going anywhere near this on summers.... a friend with a GT got stuck trying to get out of a petrol station yesterday!!!

No drama at all.... it only slid now and then as I provoked it to see where the limit of grip was.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Nokians need about 300-400 miles to fully bed in. Also check your tyres pressures. I run them at 2.2bar cold.

Have to say my experience of them is fantastic. Out and about today, getting the job done.
That's good to know. I hope they're at 2.2 bar cold, that is what the gauge on my compressor is telling me. Ford fitted the tyres and the TPMS was reading at more like 2.4 - 2.5 cold, but I'm thinking now that the TPMS is inaccurate as when the tyres all read 2.2 on the compressor, there is some variance in TPMS readings.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual

I agree the Nokians do the job, much better than the P Zero but I have no experience of the Eagles. Any tyre needs running in, keep below 50mph for first 50 miles. Dont expect to get accurate tyre pressures using the petrol station gauge. Their gauges are unlikely to be accurate & your tyres have warmed up getting there.
Sponsored