Why no Naturally Aspirated 3.5L?

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
  • Banned
With the announcement of the new 2015 F-150 replacing the 3.7L V6 with the 3.5L, I'm wondering why Ford didn't also do this with the Mustang? It would leave more room to make the Ecoboost a more premium engine choice.

Any thoughts as to why Ford is sticking with the 3.7 for the Mustang and switching to the 3.5 for the F-150? :shrug:
Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
With the announcement of the new 2015 F-150 replacing the 3.7L V6 with the 3.5L, I'm wondering why Ford didn't also do this with the Mustang? It would leave more room to make the Ecoboost a more premium engine choice.

Any thoughts as to why Ford is sticking with the 3.7 for the Mustang and switching to the 3.5 for the F-150? :shrug:
It was communicated that this lowers the entry price for the new car.

OP
OP

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
  • Banned
^Lowers the entry price on the Mustang or F-150?

I would think the 3.5L would be cheaper to produce than the 3.7L?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^Lowers the entry price on the Mustang or F-150?

I would think the 3.5L would be cheaper to produce than the 3.7L?
Mustang...the engine already is a known entity and works with the 2 transmissions being used. Perhaps there are fitment considerations, engine production volumes, or other reasons, but that definitely was what was mentioned.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
So which decision came first, the carryover engine or the carryover transmission? Mutual decision to stick it out until refresh '18 when both get upgraded?

Sponsored

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
Ford had no plans of keeping a v6 in the new Mustang. The place was the i4 and the v8. Then the rental companies cried so they threw the v6 in last second. They probably can get rid of whatever left over 3.7s then they will drop it.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then the rental companies cried so they threw the v6 in last second.
An interesting thought...where did you hear this? Or are you just supposing?

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
An interesting thought...where did you hear this? Or are you just supposing?
This hasn't been a secret at all. Only reason there is a v6 in the US mustangs are cuz of the rental companies and fleet models. They were crying cuz of the extra cost even when Ford told it wouldn't be much more. I have said this the whole time who in the right mind will buy a v6 as long as there isn't a huge price difference? Which I'd guess 1-2k engine option to get the i4. Normal people will buy it for the gas mileage and other guys will buy it for the better performance. The i4 will be lighter faster get better mpg has more potential and it will sound better with the turbo spool and bov. Ford must have had a surplus of 3.7s sitting around so the decided to please the rental companies. Personally i would have just dumped it in the US like they did everywhere else.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This hasn't been a secret at all. Only reason there is a v6 in the US mustangs are cuz of the rental companies and fleet models.
That might be part of the reason, but not all.

They were crying cuz of the extra cost even when Ford told it wouldn't be much more.
Do you work for a rental car agency, which is why you say this? Or are you just guessing?

I have said this the whole time who in the right mind will buy a v6 as long as there isn't a huge price difference?
Some people might not like the idea of a 4-cylinder.

Which I'd guess 1-2k engine option to get the i4. Normal people will buy it for the gas mileage and other guys will buy it for the better performance. The i4 will be lighter faster get better mpg has more potential and it will sound better with the turbo spool and bov. Ford must have had a surplus of 3.7s sitting around so the decided to please the rental companies. Personally i would have just dumped it in the US like they did everywhere else.
It is possible there are extra engines out there in the supply chain, but since this engine is used in other Ford vehicles, I would conclude there is planning to determine how many to produce.

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Since 1989, I have owned eight new vehicles including four V6 models of two each from GM & Ford...I adore V6 engines and will continue to favor the purchase of them in the future, including a 2015 Mustang this year.

If Ford is monitoring, I support the continued offering of a V6 in the Mustang, be it a 3.5, 3.7, or 2.7. I was disappointed when V6 engines were dropped from the Fusion line. The 3.0, while outdated, was a 240 HP jewel.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Right now, cost... The 3.5 Ecoboost is the most expensive 6 Ford has I believe.

Later on down the road maybe.

In the future, I see a 2.0, 3.5 and 5.0 as the lineup. I would also like to see a PTWA 5.0... Out to a 5.3-5.5?

OP
OP

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
I never said the 3.5 Ecoboost. The F-150 is replacing the NA 3.7 with the NA 3.5. I'm wondering why Ford did not also do this with the new Mustang, downsize the NA 3.7 to the NA 3.5? If it makes sense for the F-150, shouldn't it make sense for the Mustang considering the F-150 will still weigh more even switching to aluminum.

Edit: I changed title to avoid confusion.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
It's a very sound assumption that fleet owners would prefer a V6 over a turbo-4. The turbo engine might be lighter, faster, more fun to drive and more economical, but it's also a lot less durable and more costly to repair. The NA V6 is basically indestructable and that is exactly what fleetwoners need, given the insane abuse their cars get from their customers.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It's a very sound assumption that fleet owners would prefer a V6 over a turbo-4. The turbo engine might be lighter, faster, more fun to drive and more economical, but it's also a lot less durable and more costly to repair. The NA V6 is basically indestructable and that is exactly what fleetwoners need, given the insane abuse their cars get from their customers.
Good points.

The V6 may lack power (just) and torque (a fair bit) over the ecoboost 4, but as well as the good reasons above, a V6 is usually smoother and sounds a lot nicer than a 4-pot.

I'd bet, in real world driving, the V6 will offer better MPG than the turbo 4, especially if the driver is a lead foot :)

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Good points.
I'd bet, in real world driving, the V6 will offer better MPG than the turbo 4, especially if the driver is a lead foot :)
Yeah turbo-4's are hailed for their high MPG and low CO2 output in the testing cycles but in reality daily driving that usually turns out to be a load of crap.
Sponsored