Why No Adaptive Cruise on Mach1?

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I think ACC is great. I have bursitis, and a bad right knee and to be able to take my foot off the gas is a Godsend. And nobody is forcing anyone to buy it, keep it as an option and let customers decide. Maybe one of you that's a customer of Zach could ask him to ask Ford?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There’s mechanical and there’s mechanical.
Speaking of which, maybe someone can MacIver one of these onto a Mach 1.

CD68D705-188F-43D8-981A-C9AA9ECF32E5.jpeg
Pfft, I have the original from before the lawsuits... :)
I think a 30" cane would suffice for the automotive use case. If I put a twist grip on the steering wheel I might start pressing (countersteer) to initiate lean and wonder why the Mustang wasn't arching into the corner.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The first time I noticed that the Bullitt would stay in cruise if I shifted gears it was a surprise.
So today, while driving my old Mister 2, and curious after all the talk in this thread, I shifted while in cruise to see what would happen and, as I expected, cruise cancelled as soon as I pressed the clutch.
The programming required to keep cruise control functioning while shifting a manual is probably beyond what was possible 30 years ago, I suppose.
Which leads me to wonder: Are older cruise control systems essentially “mechanical”?
I was actually surprised by this too, when I shifted gears on the highway from 6 to 4 to pass (since 5th gear in the Bullitt is virtually useless), it didn't cancel it.

The 2021 Mustang OM says "Note: For vehicles with manual transmission, if you press the clutch pedal for an extended period, this action also cancels the set speed." (page 188).
"extended period" on a clutch.... Hm, I wonder how long that period is? And who rides clutch long enough to cancel a cruise? I get coming to a stop, but at speeds you use CC you probably don't stand on the clutch very long. Must be a safety thing.

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
Reading 15 pages this, it is clear nobody knows why and some appear to be paid by Ford to obfuscate the issue, challenge those that ask critical questions like this and sometimes attack people. The bootlicking that goes on this forum by some is too funny.

Folks have a legit ask why an industry standard safety item isn't included without being labeled as a whiner or a Mach 1 basher. There have been more than a few of head scratching issues with the rollout of a vehicle derivative that has been in production 7+ years.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Reading 15 pages this, it is clear nobody knows why and some appear to be paid by Ford to obfuscate the issue, challenge those that ask critical questions like this and sometimes attack people. The bootlicking that goes on this forum by some is too funny.

Folks have a legit ask why an industry standard safety item isn't included without being labeled as a whiner or a Mach 1 basher. There have been more than a few of head scratching issues with the rollout of a vehicle derivative that has been in production 7+ years.
You're right. Still waiting for a Mach 1 owner to chime in after speaking to their dealer. Or Zack from Granger. Someone out there has the answer.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
You're right. Still waiting for a Mach 1 owner to chime in after speaking to their dealer. Or Zack from Granger. Someone out there has the answer.
I'd recommend writing to Ford engineering but last time I tried sending a compliment to corporate, I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply. :-(

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Reading 15 pages this, it is clear nobody knows why
If anybody here does know, they're probably under a NDA about it.

Folks have a legit ask why an industry standard safety item
Calling ACC a safety item is a bit of a stretch, even if all you do is read any of the cautions/warnings about using it.

It's not bashing the Mach 1 (or any other car) to disagree with it being overloaded with standard or even optional "features" when it's inherently a pretty darn good car without them.

Norm

OP
OP
Madtel4

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
All I wanted to know (15pages back) is why no ACC on the Mach 1. However this has been a fun read. I love ACC, I bought a Mach 1 even thought my 18 GT had ACC and now I don't. As far as safety is concerned, I don't know. I do know every airline pilot uses a form of ACC ever day when they fly. Auto throttle and auto pilot make us all much safer.
Lee

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
All I wanted to know (15pages back) is why no ACC on the Mach 1. However this has been a fun read. I love ACC, I bought a Mach 1 even thought my 18 GT had ACC and now I don't. As for safety is concerned, I don't know. I do know every airline pilot uses a form of ACC ever day when they fly. Auto throttle and auto pilot make us all much safer.
Lee
And 15 pages later we still do not have a definitive answer. I asked Zack at Granger Ford but nothing concrete from him either. So until someone puts their car in a lift (hint, hint) or hears directly from Ford it will remain a mystery.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
All I wanted to know (15pages back) is why no ACC on the Mach 1. However this has been a fun read. I love ACC, I bought a Mach 1 even thought my 18 GT had ACC and now I don't. As for safety is concerned, I don't know. I do know every airline pilot uses a form of ACC ever day when they fly. Auto throttle and auto pilot make us all much safer.
Lee
Be careful. Be very careful.

From just one of many links that come up on a search on "pilots and reliance on automated flight assist systems"

How Pilots Interact With Automation : NPR

Air travel is much safer today because of an increased reliance on automation. But experts say it's harder for pilots to take over when something goes wrong.
Think about it, don't just blindly swallow "it's safer because it's computerized/automated" like somebody was feeding you baby food.

Normn

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
don't just blindly swallow "it's safer because it's computerized/automated"
and just think back to all the wonderfully bug-free software you've used over the course of your lifetime. If you read the ERRATA sheet for even just a single flight module your blood would curdle. Automation to 'paper over' a deliberately introduced 'feature' is what killed 400 souls on the Boeing 737-MAX. Not one of the programmers had ever flown a plane - it's just lines of code in an abstract file...

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
LOL...

Cruise control, shmooze control, who needs it: if the Mach 1 were really a driver's car you would have to pull the choke and start it with a hand crank like a real man.
[/thread]

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Half you DNA is shared with a banana !

Jealousy is also learnnnnnnned as you put it :wink:
I'm amazed you can spell dna
Jealousy? ...........if you only where in the loop
Sponsored