Why did you get a manual

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I've driven an auto all my life with the exception of the cars I learned to drive in and a Samurai I had as a hunting truck. A year and a half ago my '95 GT with auto got totaled and I started driving my sons '95 GT with a manual. I do a lot of city driving with hills. For the first two weeks I was like a cat in a rocking chair factory. Nervous as crap once I got off the interstate.
After the two weeks, I was really getting into the standard trans. After 4 or 5 months I had made the decision to order my '15 with a standard trans. At 52 and with touch and go knees, I still insisted on the manual, and the wife thought I was nuts. This time last year I could barely walk after hyper extending my left knee, but crazy as it sounds, working an extremely heavy clutch was really easy. I really felt bad pulling into a handicapped parking spot driving a manual trans for three months, but once I tried walking that bad feeling went away.
I'm still enjoying the manual! Love it.
Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Can't argue with that enthusiasm!

pepperglenn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I'm kind of a control freak and like picking my own gears. Most automatics I drive never seem to be in the right gear that I want them to be in so I get manuals instead

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
Manual cars I have owned: Peugeot 204, twice; Alfa Romeo spider; Datsun 210; Datsun 310; Nissan Maxima 1997 and 2000, both SEs; Subaru Legacy GT and soon to arrive, maybe tomorrow, Mustang

Anvil3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT DIB
With modern autos what I said is true. More gears, faster shifting, and none of the drivetrain loss like old school autos.

Doesn't matter how fast a human can shift; an auto will at least match his best and do it every time. Any competitive auto will shift faster than humanly possible, too.
While that's true for a growing number of autoboxes today, I don't think that's true for the S550'S 6AT. I think American Muscle showed that the manual is faster.

That said, I test drove a 6AT and it's pretty good. Nice rev matching in manual mode.

I was also shopping an M235i with an 8AT and that was almost certainly faster than a manual.

Sponsored

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
While that's true for a growing number of autoboxes today, I don't think that's true for the S550'S 6AT. I think American Muscle showed that the manual is faster.

That said, I test drove a 6AT and it's pretty good. Nice rev matching in manual mode.

I was also shopping an M235i with an 8AT and that was almost certainly faster than a manual.
Right. What Auto's get you at the track in these are consistency. I'm not sure I'd argue either one is slower/faster, but the auto would be more consistent (e.g. easier) for a majority of drivers who are weekend racers.

Anvil3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT DIB
Right. What Auto's get you at the track in these are consistency. I'm not sure I'd argue either one is slower/faster, but the auto would be more consistent (e.g. easier) for a majority of drivers who are weekend racers.
Agreed. I think that an S550 manual has the potential to be a little faster, but at that point the driver makes the difference. The auto would likely be more consistent around a track for novice/average drivers. But I don't think it would be as much fun.

Another thing to consider: Based on what I've read, in stock trim, the 6AT seems to be better matched to the GT than the EB. Some testers thought the shift points are not as well chosen in the EB. Of course, that doesn't matter if you're using the paddles in manual mode. Or if you have it tuned.

Mike G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I'm kind of a control freak and like picking my own gears. Most automatics I drive never seem to be in the right gear that I want them to be in so I get manuals instead
Unlike the Mustang Manual Transmission Taliban I'm fine with automatics in these cars, but I agree with you 100% on the control factor. Bugs the crap out of me every time I drive an automatic.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Trust me, I'm with you on every point you just made to a tee. Even had the opportunity to drive a Mk7 GTI with its DSG and an M235i with the ZF8 back to back, not too far out from my drive in an EB with the 6AT. I've said it in the past: the S550's auto is average at best, but like you just pointed out, the throttle-matching on downshifts is impressive, even going from 2nd to 1st... no bucking at all. The ZF8 is in another league. So I should put emphasis on my last post ITT when I said "competitive" auto lol.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=313423&postcount=106

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
I bought the manual because I wanted a Bullitt and they only come that way. It is way more fun to drive. The rev matching on down shifts makes that easy. If you have to learn how to drive a stick here are some tips. When you start off make sure the tach is at least 1k and keep it there. When you shift from 1st to 2nd you need the rpm to drop about 1/3 so if you shift at say 4500 rpm let the clutch out when the tach is 3k. when going from 2nd to 3rd the drop needs to be 30% so just multiply in your head by .7 so if you shift at say 4k let the clutch out at 2800. If you do that you won't even feel anything when you shift. The other gears a 25% drop is about right but it doesn't matter as much.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the manual because I wanted a Bullitt and they only come that way. It is way more fun to drive. The rev matching on down shifts makes that easy. If you have to learn how to drive a stick here are some tips. When you start off make sure the tach is at least 1k and keep it there. When you shift from 1st to 2nd you need the rpm to drop about 1/3 so if you shift at say 4500 rpm let the clutch out when the tach is 3k. when going from 2nd to 3rd the drop needs to be 30% so just multiply in your head by .7 so if you shift at say 4k let the clutch out at 2800. If you do that you won't even feel anything when you shift. The other gears a 25% drop is about right but it doesn't matter as much.
And I thought I was bad for overthinking things ... lol :like:

WD :like:

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Holy necromancy.

I hope hes learned how to drive stick in the past 6 years. This is one of OPs only threads and he hasnt been back since early 2015.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Every car I've owned since my 1990 Mustang GT convertible has been a manual (on #9 and #10 now) and I'm going to bang gears as long as I can. Some of my favorites were manual only: 2003 Cobra (1 Coupe and 1 Vert), 2007 ZO6, and the RS.

Plus there is the added benefit of anti-theft and you can't borrow a car you can't drive.

Reactions: JF

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Holy necromancy.

I hope hes learned how to drive stick in the past 6 years.
He’s still parked on the drive trying to figure out the maths in his head ... :cwl:

WD :like:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE