Sponsored

Who's got at GT350 with R wheels?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
The OP's cost will be about $10k in one shot to make the wheels work. Save a little more money and there's an R. At that point an R is within reach. But to each their own I guess. Sorry, not trying to highjack the thread, back to the topic.
You are assuming hes doing it in 1 shot. Not slowly buying the parts over time.
Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
The OP's cost will be about $10k in one shot to make the wheels work. Save a little more money and there's an R. At that point an R is within reach. But to each their own I guess. Sorry, not trying to highjack the thread, back to the topic.
I just made this jump I was planning on light weight wheels etc along with some choice R pieces but realized it would not be smart move as none of these items would add any value to the car if sold and if removed would be worth pennies on the dollar. Plus I think the R while it may not go up in value will certainly command more when sold since it has all of goodies a enthusiast would want.

There is one thing that must also be considered is some people just enjoy modifying vehicles regardless just for personal satisfaction and too be different and we can all understand that. Hell even tinting your widows or changing a shift knob is modifying.

The issue I think is getting a R at decent price without huge ADMs I was fortunate to get a MSRP deal and the choice was a no brainer.

Last edited:

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Agreed, there is better value and more collectability of an R versus a none R over any period of time. Everyone knows that parts are never worth what you paid for then when you attempt to resale them. I understand the logic, I can't afford it and people can do to do to their cars what they see fit. Just make sure you understand the total cost upfront or on the back end.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you already own a GT350, you aren't getting an R for $10k - you'll lose $20k or more (depreciation of your current car + new R) assuming you're getting MSRP and a GOOD deal on your trade.

If starting new, your buying logic is spot on (assuming you're getting MSRP). Gets hairy after you've already bought your car.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If you already own a GT350, you aren't getting an R for $10k - you'll lose $20k or more (depreciation of your current car + new R) assuming you're getting MSRP and a GOOD deal on your trade.

If starting new, your buying logic is spot on (assuming you're getting MSRP). Gets hairy after you've already bought your car.
What he said . No way selling a GT350 non R and adding 10K will get you a used R. The average GT350 trade in is under 50K now; the cheapest R's I am seeing are over 70k.... Is it worth 20k ? Not in my eyes. I am unable to track this car at it's capability anyway, and considering our potholes and roads.... No thanks. I am having hard time justifying the car to my wife as is :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
svt93style

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
Thanks for all the info and the suggestions on other brands of wheels.
I will look into that.

To the person asking for the link, here it is, they have a website too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-FORD-MU...ash=item2a986ae86d:g:~tAAAOSw2S9afa0o&vxp=mtr

As far as getting a R over the non R - not for me. I refuse to pay a ADM, also I plan on modifying the car. I see the R as more of a collectors piece and wouldn't feel right changing it from stock. Also, I'm not into the stripes and rear seat delete. I just feel like the R should come the way it was meant too, stripes and all.

Thanks guys!

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
What he said . No way selling a GT350 non R and adding 10K will get you a used R. The average GT350 trade in is under 50K now; the cheapest R's I am seeing are over 70k.... Is it worth 20k ? Not in my eyes. I am unable to track this car at it's capability anyway, and considering our potholes and roads.... No thanks. I am having hard time justifying the car to my wife as is :)
Torque’s correct w/r cost difference. I traded my “limp mode” in for an R...and payed more, but below new R MSRP. The two years I owned the Tech pack were awesome. Owning the R is incredible. It’s rare, performs on and off track and will command a premium resale price...forever. I don’t regret my non-R purchase first, since no Rs were available in my area. I waited, searched and had a slightly used R fall in my lap. IMHO, all current GT350s are awesome machines and worth every dime of MSRP.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Torque’s correct w/r cost difference. I traded my “limp mode” in for an R...and payed more. The two years I owned the Tech pack were awesome. Owning the R is incredible. It’s rare, performs on and off track and will command a premium resale price...forever. I don’t regret my non-R purchase first, since no Rs were available in my area. I waited, searched and had a slightly used R fall in my lap. IMHO, all current GT350s are awesome machines and worth every dime of MSRP.
I "ditto" this comment almost 100%! :cheers:

Yup! Spot on! I lost just about $20k going to the R, but it's worth it. Got to drive an awesome car for almost 2 years with the '16 Tech Pack... won Team Shelby Show Favorite 2 years in a row. Got track time at historic Sonoma and Laguna Seca raceways and met some really cool people along the way.

However, I'm possibly gonna be in the hole another $70k on an R for my wife at MSRP in a couple months. :doh::D

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
One of the central reasons I didn't get the R was the rims. People are afraid to use them on the street, or the track, and for valid reason...If you are rich, then no biggy...If you are not, then you are going to spend lots of money every time you fuck one up...Nope. I'll save the money, not get raped by the stealership, and go aftermarket with rims.

No, gracias.

I'll get that $10,000 to $20,000 and put it into suspension and basic bolt ons and stomp on an R.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I heard that the front sway bar is the same as well; only the rear sway bar is bigger in the R. Also, I just installed the DSS carbon fiber driveshaft and love it. Spins up quicker and it seems as the revs do not drop as quickly between shifts.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
One of the central reasons I didn't get the R was the rims. People are afraid to use them on the street, or the track, and for valid reason...If you are rich, then no biggy...If you are not, then you are going to spend lots of money every time you fuck one up...Nope. I'll save the money, not get raped by the stealership, and go aftermarket with rims.

No, gracias.

I'll get that $10,000 to $20,000 and put it into suspension and basic bolt ons and stomp on an R.
What are you talking about? How many have ruined C.F. wheels? I know of 1 on this forum and the damage was superficial. I track and drive regularly and most R owners in this forum do too. Can't wait till you start stomping R's. Good for you:first:

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
What are you talking about? How many have ruined C.F. wheels? I know of 1 on this forum and the damage was superficial. I track and drive regularly and most R owners in this forum do too. Can't wait till you start stomping R's. Good for you:first:
I haven't done a survey. Great weight saving, assuredly. Most who drive the R will never see it's limits, ever. For those who do, great investment, no doubt (if you don't mind dealer sodomy for the luxury). For those that don't, and want the car for the investment, the CF wheels are merely a bragging right. You think most who truly track would buy another set after having destroyed them? Doubtful.

I come from the canyon junkie world (a select few inhabit it at a high level). The CF wheels would be destroyed in short order.

Last edited:

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378

No, gracias.

I’m not afraid to use the CF wheels on the road. Neither was the prior owner. It’s just a car. I say, use the R as it was designed or you’ve missed the point. The wheels are extremely robust. I witnessed a repaired tire change by a DT tech who popped the rim many times with a metal bar trying to get the second bead over the outer lip. He did it so many times that the ping noise gathered a crowd. No damage at all. It’s way stronger than aluminium. One of mine had curb rash. Easy fix. Sand paper and touch up paint. Good as new.

Don’t think it matters “if you are rich” or not. A trashed CF wheel will cost the same to everyone.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500

No, gracias.

Not everyone got rapped by the stealerships either. To be honest, you sound a little bitter like you had to settle for a non R. I drive the crap out of my R, but I also take care of it and the wheels are awesome. Not to mention I love peoples reaction when theh say, "OMG, its a Shelby GT350R..." Beside, there's nothing like driving the really thing, mods are cool and all, but at the end of the day, it's either an R or not. Let me be clear, owning either of these car is awesome, both badass machines. Not let the controversy begin, insert opinions below....lol

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i think i’ve seen at least 5ish wheels trashed on the facebook group in the last year or so, so it does happen. i think if i could swing an R though, no way i’m taking those things off, they’re too sweet!

i have considered an R, but would hafta take off the splitter as the regular one barely scrapes with the utmost amount of finesse in/out of my driveway. and with an MGW installed and the res delete, coupled with depreciation, it’s not worth the trade to me.

i’d love to have a set of the OEM wheels, and to not be labeled a clone or wannabe in the process. some people just like that style, i had the 6GRs on my GT and that’s the style wheel i keep going back to.
Sponsored