Sponsored

Who does walnut shell inlet blasting in Melbourne?

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
Hi Mustangers. I've had my ecoboost for 8 years and 120kK's and love it every day, but it has taken to misfiring particularly on startup. I'm told it's carbon build up in the intake ports which is common in DI motors.
I read that the best way to clean up ( and even polish) the ports is to walnut shell blast.
I've tried to persuade my local guy here in Hepburn to get the gear and do the job for me but he won't as yet.
Doers anyone know ANYONE in the Melbourne are that has the gear and performs this process?
Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hi Mustangers. I've had my ecoboost for 8 years and 120kK's and love it every day, but it has taken to misfiring particularly on startup. I'm told it's carbon build up in the intake ports which is common in DI motors.
I read that the best way to clean up ( and even polish) the ports is to walnut shell blast.
I've tried to persuade my local guy here in Hepburn to get the gear and do the job for me but he won't as yet.
Doers anyone know ANYONE in the Melbourne are that has the gear and performs this process?
Thanks for reading.
It's true that direct injected engine tend to suffer from carbon build up on the intake valves. However, Ford's system is actually direct AND port injected, which helps prevent carbon build up. Unless the mechanic has confirmed carbon build up, I would be getting a second opinion.

"Unlike many of the DI engine from other manufacturers, the Coyote combines the high-pressure direct injection with the low-pressure port injection from the previous generations. "

An In-Depth Look at the Evolution of the Coyote Engine (motortrend.com)

OP
OP
ecoboyboost

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
It's true that direct injected engine tend to suffer from carbon build up on the intake valves. However, Ford's system is actually direct AND port injected, which helps prevent carbon build up. Unless the mechanic has confirmed carbon build up, I would be getting a second opinion.

"Unlike many of the DI engine from other manufacturers, the Coyote combines the high-pressure direct injection with the low-pressure port injection from the previous generations. "

An In-Depth Look at the Evolution of the Coyote Engine (motortrend.com)
Thanks. Yes I will get a confirmation that this is the problem before I go ahead. It's the 4cyl ecoboost I have not the coyote.

OP
OP
ecoboyboost

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
120k. I have missing on startup and on OBD diagnosis. And general rough running. No white smoke and no coolant loss.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
120k. I have missing on startup and on OBD diagnosis. And general rough running. No white smoke and no coolant loss.
In that case, it could very well be the problem. I know Mini/BMW/PSA DI engines would get to about 100,000 to 120,000 km before needing attention.

OP
OP
ecoboyboost

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
In that case, it could very well be the problem. I know Mini/BMW/PSA DI engines would get to about 100,000 to 120,000 km before needing attention.
I'm frustrated because the walnut shell blasting is the ideal remedy, but I just can't find anyone in VIC who does it. The machines are only $1300 for the larger model.