Whipple belt chirp

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Check to see if your blower pulley is square...rotate it a little and take some more measurements...look at the part 4 video I posted a few min ago.
My SC pulley is square. Nothing like the wobble video.
My problem is I cant get the IM and SC far enough forward.
It is very likely variance in Ford production has some IM holes slightly off. The IM that the SC bolts too could have some variance in both sets of holes. :shrug:

:thumbsup:Whether the issue is variance in Ford production or a dropped SC cause the installer was drunk, I have 110% confidence that Whipple will help us out. Whipple excels at support. Dustin is fairly patient with all us noobs. ;)

I will test some washer shims tomorrow only to see if I have the cold idle chirp fixed. I dont want to run any significant power with a shimmed SC pulley; talking 100hp ballpark transmitted thru this setup.

Option 1:
The jack shaft is threaded so it should be possible to simply loosen the pulley mount and bring it forward 1.22mm and loctite it again. Might need a special tool to hold the pulley mount ( or geto rig a pipe wrench and risk marking it up).
Buying or making a proper tool seems like the way to go and how the design was intended to be adjusted.

Option 2:
Drill the IM or SC or both to try and get enough play to fix the problem. The SC would not be too hard to get at to pull and drill. But then It would likely need washers for the socket head bolts. If I need 1.22mm more, then that means increasing hole diameter by 2.44mm ish. This solution has more risk for angular misalignment.
Sponsored

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Sounds like the easiest fix may be for Whipple to make a few pulleys with the correct offset for us with issues instead using shims.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I will be a test car need a .625.

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
Pulled the blower pulley off this morning and made a bunch of measurements and the pulley is square and true. Looking closer at the mating flange and spinning it the problems appears to be I have a bent jackshaft :mad: Not sure how that could happen. Maybe the blower pulley mounting flange was not installed correctly? Not sure what to do here...don't really want to have to pull the blower and send it off to Whipple. Going to give them a call on Tuesday and see what they have to say.

There is also a lot of belt dust right under the blower pulley. Which is another indication that is where the problem is.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
You guys are making me nervous. I'm wanting this blower bad and the main reason is plug and play with no issues

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are making me nervous. I'm wanting this blower bad and the main reason is plug and play with no issues
Well I wouldn't let this deter me. This is the best sc on the market and IF there is a problem Dustin will figure it out and rectify it I'm sure of it. This may seem like a wide spread problem but there are a thousands of them out there so this is still pretty isolated.

I'm not taking anything away from the frustration people here are having, hell I've got the chirp as well but I know it will be taken care of and everything else about this kit is still true and it keeps getting better and better.

Jaime

OP
OP

Kyle0995

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I wouldn't stray away from the whipple either. I still think whipple is the best option out there and I don't regret spending a penny on this set up. It's a problem that not many people have. I'm sure the few of us that have it will get it all figured out. I love my whipple I didn't start this thread to detour people away from the kit. Just wanted to know if anyone had the same issue I was having and what they did to fix it. Whipple makes a fantastic product and I will be a lifetime customer!

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flipped the belt for S&Gs and the chirp is still there. However, the chirp is now lower in the belt system.

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
Pulled the blower pulley off this morning and made a bunch of measurements and the pulley is square and true. Looking closer at the mating flange and spinning it the problems appears to be I have a bent jackshaft :mad: Not sure how that could happen. Maybe the blower pulley mounting flange was not installed correctly? Not sure what to do here...don't really want to have to pull the blower and send it off to Whipple. Going to give them a call on Tuesday and see what they have to say.

There is also a lot of belt dust right under the blower pulley. Which is another indication that is where the problem is.

Thats is not an unusual amount of dust. That's very normal.

I also highly doubt the jackshaft is bent. That would make a lot more noise than a chirp.

If I were you I would disassemble the entire pulley and bracket.. Clean everything and reinstall. Mayyyybe one of the step spacers on the pulleys isn't seated correctly.

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats is not an unusual amount of dust. That's very normal.

I also highly doubt the jackshaft is bent. That would make a lot more noise than a chirp.

If I were you I would disassemble the entire pulley and bracket.. Clean everything and reinstall. Mayyyybe one of the step spacers on the pulleys isn't seated correctly.
It's clearly the shaft on the blower that is the problem. Either the pulley hub is not seated properly or the shaft is bent. With the belt off the car when you spin the blower pulley you can clearly see and measure its out of square. I've posted some videos where you can see that.

Sponsored

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
Where is the video? Did you install the supercharger? I wonder if someone held the blower by the shaft on install and bent or misaligned it...?

Edit OK wow just saw the video... Someone must've yanked on the shaft hard. That would be my first guess

Last edited:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's clearly the shaft on the blower that is the problem. Either the pulley hub is not seated properly or the shaft is bent. With the belt off the car when you spin the blower pulley you can clearly see and measure its out of square. I've posted some videos where you can see that.
it seemed like the pulley was spinning true until the RPM dropped and then there is a visible wobble. Maybe a bad bearing?

fortrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My belt has just started chirping when you first crank it up. As soon as it runs a couple of minutes it goes away, at least for now it does. It has just over 500 miles on it and just started this. I watched the video of the terrible wobble. I went out and videoed mine as well since that made me concerned. Mine doesn't move at all. It runs very straight and true. Unsure what is causing my Chirp either. Tried spraying the water but when the belt gets wet it stops. No luck pin pointing it here either.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My belt has just started chirping when you first crank it up. As soon as it runs a couple of minutes it goes away, at least for now it does. It has just over 500 miles on it and just started this. I watched the video of the terrible wobble. I went out and videoed mine as well since that made me concerned. Mine doesn't move at all. It runs very straight and true. Unsure what is causing my Chirp either. Tried spraying the water but when the belt gets wet it stops. No luck pin pointing it here either.
This is the exact issue. 6 belts in 4000 miles for me.
They last a while then start chirping cold after the edges are worn.
Spent 12 hrs this weekend and gave up. Frustrated, sad and hurt.
Tired of car sounding like a hooptie every 500 miles.
Gonna take $3000 worth of belts to make it to 50k miles.

OP
OP

Kyle0995

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
[MENTION=20468]GSLSE20B[/MENTION] and I tried some things today. He noticed that the spring loaded tensioner seemed to be a little off. We pulled it off and the ribs were loaded with rubber scraps. Seems to be pushing the belt back towards the engine. We ended up flipping the pulley around because one edge of the pulley seems a little thicker. Then we added a small fender washer under the tensioner it self. The belt seem quite a bit straighter than it was before. I just replaced the belt again so I will give it a week or so to see if it starts chirping again then I will let everyone know if it helped.
Sponsored