Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Honestly i dont think there is going to be a "fix all". If you have the chirp you need to diagnose it, something is causing an alignment issue, one of you pullies is damaged, harmonic balancer not seated in the correct position, fluid on the belt, residue transfer from an old belt still on a idler... Get a stethescope, isolate where it is coming from, and figure out a solution.
Sponsored

SmittyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Another one .....Chirping !!!after about 1500miles...Not cool and seems to be more than a few isolated cars. Same as everyone else when cold it chirps let it run or warm up and it goes away but getting worse every day. This is an issue Whipple, putting water on the pulley isn't going to fix it.

RogerS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP 50th
Mine started making the same noise at around 2000 miles. I have 5000 miles now and the only thing that makes it go away is lots of heat in the engine compartment

OP
OP

Kyle0995

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I just switched to the duralast belt from autozone with a one year warranty! They will be seeing a lot of me this year! Lol

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
Tried to isolate the chirp with water and was not very successful. It would appear that spraying water on the water pump pulley made the chirp go away the fastest. However, putting water on the belt will eventfully carry all the way around the system and stop chirping.

One puzzling thing from this latest video is that it would appear that my blower pulley is wobbling which could cause a problem. The strange part is from the naked eye it does not look like its moving as it does in the video. I'm going to shoot some slow motion video to see if I can still see the blower pulley wobble.

Regardless of the outcome of my testing... with more and more reports of this same issue there has to be a design flaw somewhere that is causing the premature belt wear resulting in the chirp. I ran the Roush TVS blower on my other Coyote for 20,000 miles without a single belt issue.

[ame]

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=22947]cmylxgo[/MENTION] try taking the belt off the sc pulley (after cracking loose the 4 bolts) and double check it's completely flush against the Jackshaft then re-tourque it. It kinda looks like it's not sitting correctly.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Honestly i dont think there is going to be a "fix all". If you have the chirp you need to diagnose it, something is causing an alignment issue, one of you pullies is damaged, harmonic balancer not seated in the correct position, fluid on the belt, residue transfer from an old belt still on a idler... Get a stethescope, isolate where it is coming from, and figure out a solution.
Wondering if it might have something to do with adding a new belt and Whipple pulley?

All jokes aside. Back in the day you could take a bar of soap and run it along side a given belt to tell which pulley and/or belt was squeaking. I take it the new belt is just a longer serpanteen (sp?). If I hate the case wonder if you could try rubbing a bar of soap on the inner sides of the Whipple pulley to see if that isolates it? No clue if it would work that way, just throwing a thought out there.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
OK I just tried the water check method about 6 times and found that on the SC pulley if I sprayed a little water from the underside it would stop chirping every time for a little while and then start back up. Spraying it on other pulleys did nothing. Their is NO run-out on my jackshaft pulley and my chirped with stock pulley before I went stage two. Could there be a problem with the way the pulleys are machined and their side clearances or can my SC be located offset in my block? I see no movement or run-out on any pulleys, very smooth…..Very confused and starting to get disappointed..:( been dealing with this for over 6 months :(

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
OK I just tried the water check method about 6 times and found that on the SC pulley if I sprayed a little water from the underside it would stop chirping every time for a little while and then start back up. Spraying it on other pulleys did nothing. Their is NO run-out on my jackshaft pulley and my chirped with stock pulley before I went stage two. Could there be a problem with the way the pulleys are machined and their side clearances or can my SC be located offset in my block? I see no movement or run-out on any pulleys, very smooth…..Very confused and starting to get disappointed..:( been dealing with this for over 6 months :(

Try pulling the belt and really checking the pulley for any kind of abnormality. After that check for belt straightness to the next pulley. Probably a big pain in the butt to get a straight edge in there, i have had good luck using a laser. It is interesting that spraying on the ribbed side quieted it down, most of the time it is the smooth side that causes the racket.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
SC pulley out of plane

Update. Pulled all the smooth idlers out of the way and measured out of plane and parallel on torque loaded pulkeys.
Results all measured from crank pulley.
Positive is forward of crank pulley.
Positive lateral angle is to port/driverside.
Positive vertical angle is up.
AC +0.04mm, <-0.1deg lat, 0.25deg up
ALT -0.07mm, +0.2lat, -0.2
WP +0.05mm, 0.15, 0.1
SC (before moving IM and SC)
+2.83mm, 0.2, 0.0
SC (IM, SC both moved forward)
+1.22mm, 0.0, 0.0

So I moved IM and SC as far forward as possible and retorqued.
I cant get the SC pulley any further forward unless I shim or move pulley mount on jack shaft.
Anyone break the pulley mount loose and retighten?
Looks like a 12 point metric and make a tool to hold pulley mount via pins.
Red locktite?

Chirp 80% gone! Tempted to just shim the last 1.22mm but wanna do it right.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok...so I shot some SloMo video and what I saw was alarming :eyebulge: There is indeed a wobble to my blower pulley. Check the video below...

[ame]

I then took the belt off to see how far out of square it is and was shocked. See Part 4 video below. I verified the blower pulley was seated correctly and tq'd down. One of two things I think is going on here...One, the jackshaft if bent or Two, the face of the jackshaft is not machined correctly causing the wobble. A third possibility could be the seat of the blower pulley is not square.

A bent jackshaft I think would cause some other issues and I have a Stage 2 pulley. With the number of complaints and the varying blower pulleys out there that leaves one common denominator...and that's the machining of the jackshaft.

I'm not an expert or claim to know what I'm talking about...I'm just stating my observations. I hope Whipple can take this data and find a root a cause and get us a fix. I will not be driving my car until this get resolved as I fear this could cause long term damage to the blower.

[ame]

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update. Pulled all the smooth idlers out of the way and measured out of plane and parallel on torque loaded pulkeys.
Results all measured from crank pulley.
Positive is forward of crank pulley.
Positive lateral angle is to port/driverside.
Positive vertical angle is up.
AC +0.04mm, <-0.1deg lat, 0.25deg up
ALT -0.07mm, +0.2lat, -.2up
WP +0.05mm, 0.15, 0.1
SC (before moving IM and SC)
+2.83mm, 0.2, 0.0
SC (IM, SC both moved forward)
+1.22mm, 0.0, 0.0

So I moved IM and SC as far forward as possible and retorqued.
I cant get the SC pulley any further forward unless I shim or move pulley mount on jack shaft.
Anyone break the pulley mount loose and retighten?
Looks like a 12 point metric and make a tool to hold pulley mount via pins.
Red locktite?

Chirp 80% gone! Tempted to just shim the last 1.22mm but wanna do it right.
Thoughts?
Check to see if your blower pulley is square...rotate it a little and take some more measurements...look at the part 4 video I posted a few min ago.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Boy thats crazy you didnt notice that off the bat. Do you have access to a dial indicator? Would be easy to find out if it is thr pulley or the shaft.

OP
OP

Kyle0995

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ok...so I shot some SloMo video and what I saw was alarming :eyebulge: There is indeed a wobble to my blower pulley. Check the video below...

I then took the belt off to see how far out of square it is and was shocked. See Part 4 video below. I verified the blower pulley was seated correctly and tq'd down. One of two things I think is going on here...One, the jackshaft if bent or Two, the face of the jackshaft is not machined correctly causing the wobble. A third possibility could be the seat of the blower pulley is not square.

A bent jackshaft I think would cause some other issues and I have a Stage 2 pulley. With the number of complaints and the varying blower pulleys out there that leaves one common denominator...and that's the machining of the jackshaft.

I'm not an expert or claim to know what I'm talking about...I'm just stating my observations. I hope Whipple can take this data and find a root a cause and get us a fix. I will not be driving my car until this get resolved as I fear this could cause long term damage to the blower.

I just did a slow mo video of mine and mine looks nothing like yours does. Mine stays straight and true. You may have something else going on than I have.
Sponsored

Last edited: