B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Just wondering,
When does the "new" wear off after you bought your new Mustang?

For me personally, the car has been mine for about 7 weeks and I have gotten used to the idea that this specific car is now mine but am not at that comfort level you get to after driving the same car for a year or two.

I know where the controls are without having to search around too much. The controls I use often are right where my hand reaches but some of the others still take a bit of searching.

When I see it in a parking lot the mental discussion is "Nice looking car I have" rather than "Nice looking car, wish I had one like it".

Just made the second payment and having a payment for the specific amount due at the same time every month is starting to feel normal rather than "Oh crap, another bill I forgot about".

When I open the door to the garage in the morning the smell is no longer this overwhelming odor of new rubber and paint.

I am able to keep the car at my expected speed while cruising down the highway rather than glancing at the speedometer and seeing I am going faster or slower than expected.

The last minor adjustments to the seat and mirrors have been made for just the correct position and I am no longer tweaking the settings a little this way or that way.

The stations are programmed to the stations I prefer and the steering wheel button feels in the right place when I am changing stations or volume.

Mostly have gotten used to the keyless entry and start button. Still reaching for the column to turn the key off when killing the car but that should also pass. First car I have had with the keyless fob and am liking that feature more every day.

Still haven't gotten comfortable enough to really push it around some corners but, in my defense, the roads still have a bunch of sand at the edges of the lanes from the snow a couple of weeks ago. Once the street sweepers clean that off the margins I will feel better about pushing things a bit.
Sponsored

Asonitez

I go 71 in a 70 *REBEL*
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT Premium
Oh thank god.... I am STILL searching for my "shut up and cruise" position. The car feels VERY fast and VERY small. I'm coming from a Dodge Charger an GMC Acadia. I love feeling connected to the road but I sometimes downshift with the paddles by mistake and forget messing with anything on the radio deck. I'm flabbergasted by ALL the information in front of my face on the LCD and that are available to me at the push of a button. I'm still getting used to it but I only have 98 miles on it. Its not by daily driver yet and I havent even paid my first payment lol. Once my wife starts driving the Acadia and I start driving the mustang daily I think then is when I'll "settle" in.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
i got mine in December and still smile like a high school senior on prom night as i open the door to drive

lint28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP - Now its a 2016 GT w/PP!!!
I've had mine since November. I'm at the point were I feel "comfortable" driving it. I don't feel like I'm driving someone else's car. I still completely LOVE driving it and will make any excuse to drive it (I go get my family milk almost every night:) )

So while its no longer "new"... its still quite awesome!!

Sponsored

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
its mine when some a**hole door dings me.
which happened to be my neighbors kid after he parked to close to me...also for the first two weeks, nothing was left in the trunk or back seat. now I have a jacket, hat and golf clubs in the trunk. its starting to feel more like mine everyday!

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
whenever I decide to stop parking at the other end of the lot so nobody gets near me. part of me looks forward to it, part of me dreads it

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, 3500ish miles into things, it's all feeling very routine. Driving position is fine-tuned and where I like it. I've experimented with all the modes to know what I like and when I like it. The car feels MUCH smaller than it felt during the initial phase transitioning from my last car. The gearing feels natural. The clutch is like an extension of my leg. Throttle blips without thinking. MFT is a little less of a bitch now that I can predict where each screen will take me. Etc. etc.

New smell is mostly gone. Wasn't too much of a fan of it with this car... nowhere near as appealing as other new car smells I've dealt with. If this is standard across Ford models, I'd wish that they toned down the gluey fume notes, if that's even something they have control over. It's less leather and more chemical than I'd like. Been driving windows down whenever weather permits so it's a non-issue at this point.

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I've had mine since December and have about 2,500 miles on it, and most of the new car excitement has worn off. I still love owning it, but there are plenty of days where I just get in and drive and don't think much about it. I don't always park it at the far end of the parking lot like I did when I first bought it. It still gets a lot of attention from others, though.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I've had mine since November. I'm at the point were I feel "comfortable" driving it. I don't feel like I'm driving someone else's car. I still completely LOVE driving it and will make any excuse to drive it (I go get my family milk almost every night:) )

So while its no longer "new"... its still quite awesome!!
Same here too. I took delivery Nov. 5th and I'm finally noticing the new car smell wearing off too. So I ordered a bottle from The Chemical Brothers along with leather scent. :D I delivered my daughter some take out to a school function earlier this week and I made her get it out of the trunk. It still stunk up the car!
I'm finally starting to feel "comfortable" with the clutch pedal, handling, cruise speed, etc....

Sponsored

Twenty15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium | DIB
I hope it will always feel new. Like my lady.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
When you yank the motor to put a built one in.

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I am able to keep the car at my expected speed while cruising down the highway rather than glancing at the speedometer and seeing I am going faster or slower than expected.
I still can't get this... I'm always going faster than I think I am. The acceleration is almost too smooth and I'm usually doing 70 when I think I'm closer to 55.

I've had mine just over three months now.

Last edited:

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I sold my 01 Bullitt to buy my 2015 and every spring when I first got in the car I could still smell the leather and the gent who bought the car kept telling me after he bought it that it was "just like new"

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
had it since October, daily driver and Winter was very mild here so, its almost at 6000 miles. every day when i walk up to her to go to work, I still grin like a teenager getting his first car keys.

will that ever go away? maybe one day, but... not yet.
Sponsored