Sponsored

Wheel Bearing Issue

Mr. Kit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RS7
After 2300 +/- miles on the car with proper break in and 2 weekend track events with a DE group, the drivers side rear tire bearing has to be replaced. I was wondering how many other individuals out there have had this problem? I took the car to my shop and had them order the Ford part because I don't trust the techs at the dealerships to make sure my car is track ready, and other than adding a tow hook to front/rear the car is 100% stock. I plan on sending the broken part to Ford with a written letter letting them know the issues I have faced. I just want to know after replacing the part and checking the car thoroughly that I wont have a catastrophic failure at my next track event or any future events. Thanks for any comments/thoughts.

HR150
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
What were the symptoms that caused you to look at the wheel bearing?
I ask this because for the past 2,000 miles I sense a slight rolling roughness in the car that seems amplified when I apply the brakes. It is independent of the engine RPM, no noise, just a feeling that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before in the previous 9000 miles. I still need to determine if it is me or the car.

OP
OP

Mr. Kit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RS7
What were the symptoms that caused you to look at the wheel bearing?

A sound randomly showed up two weeks ago that was coming from the drivers side and I believed that it may have been a flat spot in the tire. After 2 days of the sound persisting (work round trip drives are 7.2 miles max35 mph) I decided to take it to my local shop because I was uncomfortable with a track car making an unknown sound after 2300 easy miles. I have also had zero mechanical issues up to this point, so I am hoping it is a one off fluke issue, but it is better to ask and check around.

tebeller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking for GT350
A sound randomly showed up two weeks ago that was coming from the drivers side and I believed that it may have been a flat spot in the tire. After 2 days of the sound persisting (work round trip drives are 7.2 miles max35 mph) I decided to take it to my local shop because I was uncomfortable with a track car making an unknown sound after 2300 easy miles. I have also had zero mechanical issues up to this point, so I am hoping it is a one off fluke issue, but it is better to ask and check around.
Was it a wop wop wop or a eeee eee eee or more like a zzzt zzzt zzzt?:D

Sponsored

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
After 2300 +/- miles on the car with proper break in and 2 weekend track events with a DE group, the drivers side rear tire bearing has to be replaced. I was wondering how many other individuals out there have had this problem? I took the car to my shop and had them order the Ford part because I don't trust the techs at the dealerships to make sure my car is track ready, and other than adding a tow hook to front/rear the car is 100% stock. I plan on sending the broken part to Ford with a written letter letting them know the issues I have faced. I just want to know after replacing the part and checking the car thoroughly that I wont have a catastrophic failure at my next track event or any future events. Thanks for any comments/thoughts.

HR150

Take that car to a private shop for what would be a warranty repair, Expect nothing from Ford. What are you going to do if the engine takes a dump?

OP
OP

Mr. Kit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RS7
Take that car to a private shop for what would be a warranty repair, Expect nothing from Ford. What are you going to do if the engine takes a dump?

I don't want anything from ford, I am wondering if anybody else had experienced this issue.

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Just had to replace mine

[ame]

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cali, 2016 GT premium
Just had both of my rear bearing completely fail. Was driving down the highway, changed lanes and the rear end felt really wobbly upon acceleration. Got it to my shop thinking it was tire pressure and both rear wheel bearing were crazy loose. Took it to Ford and they warrantied them out, no questions asked. They did say they've never seen both fail at the same time before and neither have I.

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022

HR150
I think Ford keeps the part they replace under warranty...could be wrong....still send a letter or call FP...i don't blame you one bit!!

Sponsored

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I replaced with the moog bearing part#512517
Also you may not want to re-use the stock axle nut. A new axle nut can be obtained from your local ford dealer. Part# 3B477 or CCPZ3B477F.
Averages $3.00

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I replaced with the moog bearing part#512517
Also you may not want to re-use the stock axle nut. A new axle nut can be obtained from your local ford dealer. Part# 3B477 or CCPZ3B477F.
Averages $3.00
Pretty sure the GT350 has different wheel bearings.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
This. Lost count of how many threads I see GT/Ecoboost cars talking about their issues or giving advice in this section, about all we have in common is headlights which sit 2 inches lower in the body of the GT350. Different animal.

Personally first i've heard of wheel bearing issues, approaching 19,000 miles here nothing of the sort.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Only the fronts are different. The rears are the same as other models of mustang.