Sponsored

What wheels and tires for GTPP for track use?

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
Yeah, I'm with you. Not trying to curb it either, just don't want a wheel breaking and flying past me from the stress of hard cornering. Cuz these wheels will probably be getting some grippy tires. So I expect to be pulling some good G's if I managed 1.13 out of those stock 255 Perelli's up front
I'm relatively new to the HPDE and AutoX, I've done both and never heard anyone have a concern and their wheels coming apart in the turns. Does this really happen?
Sponsored

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
It's relatively rare with quality wheels though.

Keep in mind, if you track often, wheels are a wear item and should be thoroughly inspected often. Period.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
↑↑↑ Especially if you use a lot of the curb.

Norm
Everytime you miss a curb, God kills a kitten. :D

My local track, Hallett, at Turn 1 if you don't have the transmission tunnel over the curb you aren't taking the fast line through the corner.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's relatively rare with quality wheels though.

Keep in mind, if you track often, wheels are a wear item and should be thoroughly inspected often. Period.

Relatively rare period.

But it does happen.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Everytime you miss a curb, God kills a kitten. :D

My local track, Hallett, at Turn 1 if you don't have the transmission tunnel over the curb you aren't taking the fast line through the corner.
Meaning that it becomes important for you to check your wheels even more often. God's not gonna do that for you ;)

Norm

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm relatively new to the HPDE and AutoX, I've done both and never heard anyone have a concern and their wheels coming apart in the turns. Does this really happen?
Before I started working here I worked for a vendor called ModBargains, a few of you may have heard about it before. When working there I sold a considerable amount of Forgestar wheels, a huge amount, and lots of them would go to track guys. I can recall over my 4 years at that shop, 2-3 Camaro have reports of bent or damaged wheels. I believe two of those cars had damaged wheels because of the curbing specifically at VIR which is known to be less kind to wheels. So yes, it can indeed happen which is why it's important to read up about wheel manufacturers, verify their certifications and safety testing but also just use common sense when spending money.

The one customer of mine, Chris, who I'm still in touch with actually, had a more famous or viral failure I should say, but it does tie into what others are saying about checking wheels BEFORE going out on a track day. Check all around each wheel and inspect the wheel prior to going out on a track day and it could prevent what happens in this video.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Notice the back side of spokes act in pairs mechanically and the cracks initiated at the inside *sharp* profile on the outside edges of each pair.
That sharp corner/edge on the backside is a huge stress riser. Wheel would actually be stronger with less material there and a nice radiused or chamfered edge.
Regardless, this likely could have been caught much earlier w dye penetrant.

The mfg can also test for this by making a hacksaw cut, 10% inside to outside spoke depth on front of one spoke and back of next. Cuts 15, 25, 35% distance hub body to barrel. Crude, but places a worst case initiator stress riser in spoke. If crack does not grow, you have sufficient margin in that specific cut profile.

Seen cracks in rim lip near bead between spokes as well.
Sponsored