Sponsored

What should I do next to get rid of the "unsettled" rear suspension?

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
This is a daily driver but I drive it in a, shall we say, spirited manner at times. It's all for fun, not a track car. When I go on roadtrips I seek out the twisties. My last 2 cars were a 2013 Scion FR-S and 2017 Mazda Miata so you can see what type of car I gravitate towards.

Mods i've done to my 2023 GT Nite Pony Package (came with 255 Pirelli AS, so i guess it's not 100% a base car with 235s).

FRP track springs
FRP track shocks
Steeda Camber plates
Steeda Rear Camber adjustment kit
Steeda sway bars front and rear
FRP front control arms
FRP shock tower brace, paired with OEM cowl extension (PP1 setup)
PP1 brace (k brace?)
I think that's everything.

Riding on SVE SP1 19x10s, 275/40r19 PS4S square.

Alignment as follows, even on both sides unless specified L and R:
Front Toe: Toe out -0.07 deg.
Front Camber: -2.1 deg.
Caster: -7.1 deg L, -7.0 R

Rear Toe: 0.07 deg L, 0.08 deg R
Rear Camber: -1.6 deg L, -1.5 deg R

The car MOSTLY handles really well, surprisingly well and very solid for such a heavy car, but the new stickier tires really have exaggerated that feeling of the rear being disconnected from the front... it feels like there's a big hinge in the middle of the car and it just takes a second for the rear to catch up with what the front is doing. The front turns in like a motha****** though and feels fantastic. I just want the car to feel a bit more connected front to rear.

I haven't done the FRP rear knuckle to toe link bearings which I am guessing makes a good difference here especially with beefier tires and suspension. I was thinking maybe also i made a mistake spec'ing negative toe in the front which makes the front end dive into a turn but the rear is positive which makes it lag behind slightly? I have seen parts like the Steeda IRS Rear Support Braces which im not sure help with this, or if that's more for wheel hop-i dont really launch the car hard so I dont care about wheelhop tbh. I don't want to go nuts with lockouts etc because I still want the car to be decently comfortable eating roadtrip miles and I dont want to hear it from the wifey when we take my car, so really loud solid mounts etc are no good for me.

Thoughts/suggestions? Let me know if I missed something.
Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
I have a whole mess of rear end bits.

I vote for two things to kill that feeling:

Toe link bearings - this is a spherical bearing on the knuckle side. This, in theory, minimizes changes in toe as a result of rubber deflecting while driving ā€œspiritedlyā€. Good alignment angles = good drive feel.

Subframe bushing solution of choice, either brackets, lockouts, bushing replacements, etc.

I have BMRs subframe bracket/lockout kit and the Ford Performance toe bearing, all on Steedaā€™s progressive lowering springs.

You just need to kill deflection in one way or another to be more ā€œconfidenceā€ inspiring.

REAL, REAL NVH came from toe link/LCA bearings. Iā€™d actually do the subframe lockout first to see how you like it.

Anyone saying otherwise is lying. My car is very stupid now so I donā€™t mind, but if you want to keep everyone happy be weary of any rubber > bearing changes.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it feels like there's a big hinge in the middle of the car
Hey now that's my copyrighted phrase. šŸ˜€

Should have started with pinning the IRS. I recommend the whiteline IRS bushings/lockouts and bmr cb005 or the Steeda brace.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey now that's my copyrighted phrase. šŸ˜€

Should have started with pinning the IRS. I recommend the whiteline IRS bushings and bmr cb005 or the Steeda brace.
Really? if so you are bang on if i do say so myself šŸ˜œ

Which steeda brace? I see one marketed for stopping wheelhop.

OP
OP

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a whole mess of rear end bits.

I vote for two things to kill that feeling:

Toe link bearings - this is a spherical bearing on the knuckle side. This, in theory, minimizes changes in toe as a result of rubber deflecting while driving ā€œspiritedlyā€. Good alignment angles = good drive feel.

Subframe bushing solution of choice, either brackets, lockouts, bushing replacements, etc.

I have BMRs subframe bracket/lockout kit and the Ford Performance toe bearing, all on Steedaā€™s progressive lowering springs.

You just need to kill deflection in one way or another to be more ā€œconfidenceā€ inspiring.

REAL, REAL NVH came from toe link/LCA bearings. Iā€™d actually do the subframe lockout first to see how you like it.

Anyone saying otherwise is lying. My car is very stupid now so I donā€™t mind, but if you want to keep everyone happy be weary of any rubber > bearing changes.
So by the sound of it you are saying the FRP toe link bearing adds that much NVH? That's surprising it adds that much.

Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
So by the sound of it you are saying the FRP toe link bearing adds that much NVH? That's surprising it adds that much.
I have both bearings, I would describe the amount of NVH gained with the LCA bearings as greater than the toe bearing.

You are literally taking two rubber bits and essentially erasing them in favor of a direct connection so youā€™ll get some NVH addition.

Assuming everything else is kept stock, toe bearing additions shouldnā€™t be very noticeable/painful. I actually think(!) PP cars have it from the factory on the knuckle side.

The rear LCA bearings took the car from ā€œstiffā€ performance vehicle to holy shit itā€™s a racecar lol.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: the text below is in relation to adding nvh. The value of the bearings is quite clear and all 3 should be done, IMO

Toe link bearing, no.

The giant lateral arm bearing up front and the big ass rcla bearing in the back, perhaps. But not compared to the isolators for the diff and IRS from both Steeda and bmr which are made of material that is too hard to be perfectly quiet.

Qed, use the whiteline bits.

Last edited:

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Toe link bearing, no.

The giant lateral arm bearing up front and the big ass rcla bearing in the back, perhaps. But not compared to the isolators for the diff and IRS from both Steeda and bmr which are made of material that is too hard to be perfectly quiet.

Qed, use the whiteline bits.
I appreciated the toe bearing for hard throttle application at low speed. Rear end felt like it didnā€™t want to wander.

The LCA bearing killed ALL hop during everything. I can let it rip and will have 0 hop no matter what I do.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
appreciated the toe bearing for hard throttle application at low speed
Sorry if I was unclear. My comment was with regard to adding nvh, not the value of the various bearings on chassis dynamics.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if I was unclear. My comment was with regard to adding nvh, not the value of the various bearings on chassis dynamics.
Understood, no worries. Weā€™re on the same page!

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I have replaced or locked out ~16 rear bushings so far and every time I did something the car felt better.

I say go nuts back there.

Also you want a hair front toe in to not kill front tires.

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Really? if so you are bang on if i do say so myself šŸ˜œ

Which steeda brace? I see one marketed for stopping wheelhop.
He is 100% correct the steeda IRS brace ties the subframe and chassis together in three different places, there is a significant amount of play between the subframe and chassis. This is where a majority of unstable rear end feel comes from on the s550. I did not lose that unstable feeling until I installed the brace and I have replaced my entire suspension (springs, struts, shocks, camber plates, strut tower brace, etc).

Last edited:

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
This is a daily driver but I drive it in a, shall we say, spirited manner at times. It's all for fun, not a track car. When I go on roadtrips I seek out the twisties. My last 2 cars were a 2013 Scion FR-S and 2017 Mazda Miata so you can see what type of car I gravitate towards.

Mods i've done to my 2023 GT Nite Pony Package (came with 255 Pirelli AS, so i guess it's not 100% a base car with 235s).

FRP track springs
FRP track shocks
Steeda Camber plates
Steeda Rear Camber adjustment kit
Steeda sway bars front and rear
FRP front control arms
FRP shock tower brace, paired with OEM cowl extension (PP1 setup)
PP1 brace (k brace?)
I think that's everything.

Riding on SVE SP1 19x10s, 275/40r19 PS4S square.

Alignment as follows, even on both sides unless specified L and R:
Front Toe: Toe out -0.07 deg.
Front Camber: -2.1 deg.
Caster: -7.1 deg L, -7.0 R

Rear Toe: 0.07 deg L, 0.08 deg R
Rear Camber: -1.6 deg L, -1.5 deg R

The car MOSTLY handles really well, surprisingly well and very solid for such a heavy car, but the new stickier tires really have exaggerated that feeling of the rear being disconnected from the front... it feels like there's a big hinge in the middle of the car and it just takes a second for the rear to catch up with what the front is doing. The front turns in like a motha****** though and feels fantastic. I just want the car to feel a bit more connected front to rear.

I haven't done the FRP rear knuckle to toe link bearings which I am guessing makes a good difference here especially with beefier tires and suspension. I was thinking maybe also i made a mistake spec'ing negative toe in the front which makes the front end dive into a turn but the rear is positive which makes it lag behind slightly? I have seen parts like the Steeda IRS Rear Support Braces which im not sure help with this, or if that's more for wheel hop-i dont really launch the car hard so I dont care about wheelhop tbh. I don't want to go nuts with lockouts etc because I still want the car to be decently comfortable eating roadtrip miles and I dont want to hear it from the wifey when we take my car, so really loud solid mounts etc are no good for me.

Thoughts/suggestions? Let me know if I missed something.
If you haven't done so already, I suggest installing a rear subframe alignment and stabilizer kit like the stop-the-hop Ultimate Street or Ultimate Handling sets offered by Steeda. I'm running the street kit and the floaty rear end is now solid.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I have this exact problem and thatā€™s the perfect description, like a hinge. My charger, on 10 year old rubber and weighing 1200lbs more, feels more planted in the corners.

what Iā€™m hearing is steeda brace for sure, white line bushings, and what about the upr billet irs links?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase