Sponsored

What is this weird chirping sound?

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Today I discovered that the WGA hose barb is smaller than the factory size (totally didn't notice it when I installed it), so I can pull the hose right off, clamp and all. I tried rigging up a smaller hose, but even that won't get tight, and I can't find a smaller clamp anywhere. Tomorrow I'll look for hose with a thicker wall size.

I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Think it could be related?
That would cause your car to produce too much boost.
Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
That would cause your car to produce too much boost.
I am not saying this is the problem, but if it was leaking a bit it would raise boost, but what happens then?
Does ECU look at target boost and say lets close throttle or does it first attack boost duty cycle%? I don't have an answer but things like this and if BPV had a similar issue it might cause chirping sound more than it should.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I may just decide to switch out for a TurboSmart. The tuner says this WGA is fine and my boost curve is not unusual, even if it took some work to get it that way, but this is a lot of hassle just because it saved a few bucks. We'll see if I can find some hose today.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
I may just decide to switch out for a TurboSmart. The tuner says this WGA is fine and my boost curve is not unusual, even if it took some work to get it that way, but this is a lot of hassle just because it saved a few bucks. We'll see if I can find some hose today.
What are you running on WGA side, still using factory electronic boost controller valve?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Today I discovered that the WGA hose barb is smaller than the factory size (totally didn't notice it when I installed it), so I can pull the hose right off, clamp and all. I tried rigging up a smaller hose, but even that won't get tight, and I can't find a smaller clamp anywhere. Tomorrow I'll look for hose with a thicker wall size.

I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Think it could be related?
I think if this were leaking enough to cause changes in boost pressure you would see it on the boost gauge. Is that the case?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I think if this were leaking enough to cause changes in boost pressure you would see it on the boost gauge. Is that the case?
I dont see anything and the tuner doesn't, eirher.

What I was hoping is that this is just barely on the edge of what the hose can seal, explaining the funny noises and why they seem to be temperature dependent, but I'm less hopeful after my test with the different hoses.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
It is a closed loop system, it would have to leak a lot for it to show up on boost gauge.
But you might see WGA duty cycle go up progressively to maintain target boost.

Hopefully, you or tuner will see something that may affect it.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Unbelievable! I just can't find a hose and clamp that actually fits this thing. I've never seen anything quite so baffling.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Not yet. I'm leaning toward changing out the WGA, to be honest.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
10psi or 12psi spring for Turbosmart WGA?

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Another weird noise that I always assumed was just strangeness from the DV+, but I'm not so sure anymore. Especially in 3rd and 4th, listen for the gravelly sort of sucking sound that builds up into the squeak of the DV+ opening. This video is from underhood.

What do you think? Normal? Boost leak? Something else?

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I was finally able to locate a small-enough hose clamp and nothing is different with that fixed -- still makes the goofy noises in the newest clip; still chirps on high-boost tune revisions -- so it must not have been leaking.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
you dun fucked that engine !
Sponsored