Sponsored

What cars did you cross-shop before deciding on the Mustang?

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
I cross-shopped the 2015 Mustang GT with a 2015 BMW M235i. I needed a RWD sporty coupe with a manual transmission that would be fun at HPDE track days.

It was a stomach-churning choice. Value-wise, the Mustang wins hands down. Looks-wise, the Mustang wins hands down. Raw power, the Mustang wins. For me, the smaller size of the BMW made it easier and more nimble to drive around town. The 235 is also more fuel efficient. And both interiors are nice, but I think the BMW is higher quality by a slight margin.

I went back and forth a million times. In the end I bought the BMW, with the main reason being a desire for change - since 1992 my main car had been a Mustang GT (1987, 1995, and 2005) - I just wanted something different.

I've had the BMW for 6 months now and don't regret the choice at all. I do love the smaller size. I took it to Palmer Motorsports race track last week and it's fast and fun on the track.

On the other hand, I'm sure I would have loved the S550 too. I love the white GT350 with the blue stripes. That car is at the top of my list right now for my next car. :cool:
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I also briefly considered the Chevy SS, which I really really like, but it was just out of my price range; could not spend 45k.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
I didn't think I would get a 2015+ model. I was initially looking to get an F-150. Couldn't justify the high cost and terrible gas mileage because I don't tow anything and I would barely haul anything. Would just be a commuter truck.

Really cross-shopped with the S197s 5.0. In fact put a deposit down on a 2012 45k miles, but the dealer dicked around with pricing and it ended up being a crappy deal. Since I couldn't get an S197, decided to go S550 EB. Glad I did. Love the car. Do miss the sound of the 5.0 everyday, but hopefully in 2 years when my Bimmer lease is up, I will have the room to move in to an S550 5.0 and will meanwhile add a few small mods to the EB.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I was actually looking at swapping a V8 into my jeep...a 20k+ job...and thought "I should get a sports car instead".

I am a little ashamed to admit I looked at camaros...and when asking my dad and brother about it they gave me this terrible look and said "you, not in a mustang?". I've had a 93GT, 02GT, and 91LX
..I did also consider a really nice restored notch, but warranty and new technology sure is nice.

Boiled down to the mustang was more affordable and after I test drive one it sealed the deal.

My 16 magnetic GT PP should be here in late October!

Vandy

zx2reme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
When I started looking for a car, I was originally looking for an early 70's Z to build (upgraded RB engine swap, paint, 17x10/11 Work/SSR wheels, etc.) Then I realized I would have a third project car on my hands and wanted something I could tinker with easily and drive now, since I haven't had a car to cruise around in for the last nine years. So I looked at my options for new and looking at what was available, the only thing new I would consider driving was a 370Z and the Mustang. Once you consider what you get with each, the Mustang was the clear winner for the price, hands down. before I pulled the trigger, I did think of cars that I might would like, but couldn't afford new and looked at the used market. So I looked at early versions of the NSX and 2009 Skylines. For the NSX, the only way to find a decent one for between 40,000-50,000 were early 90's models with a lot of miles. I did find a few '09 Skylines for mid $50K and one for $49K. Then when I thought about it, I couldn't justify spending that much money on a used car, that is well beyond its warranty. Then when I heard the new GT350 was going to start at low $50K, I considered holding out for that. But understanding those cars, while designed to beat up on, I would feel bad modding one and thought buying a normal mustang, I could mod to my liking without feeling guilty for altering a Shelby. So there you go. A lot of turmoil making the decision, but in the end, I love my car with zero buyer's remorse.

Sponsored

Tofino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT stick.
I fit in okay but I'm only 5'10". What killed it for me was the thought that I would almost certainly run over pedestrians attempting to make left turns. Those pillars are something else.

That and the interior reminded me of a 90's pickup.
The visibility is horrible for sure.
If you are used to a 90s pickuptruck then yes you would feel at home in it except for the lack of room and visibility.

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
Lots of options went through my head, Mustang was the last thing I expected to catch my attention.

Tesla Model S (CPO still costing way to much out of my budget)
Mercedes A Klasse AMG (2014 remodel available in Europe)
Mercedes C Klasse
VW GTI/TDI
Used 2010 Saab 93
Audi A5 or A6
2013 Dodge Challenger (the interiors are streets ahead)

It was just by chance that I stopped by a auto dealer on the base to check out what they had when I saw the new Mustangs sitting on the lot. Something about them caught my eye and it was something of love at first sight. I wrote it off initially and then after doing more research I became obsessed with it.

In the end it comes to being a combination of something different and powerful. I figure my next car is going to be a full EV so I might as well go out with a big ol V8 on the Autobahn while I have the opportunity!

tripletap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Guard PP
Orignally looked at 2015 FoST and 2015 WRX. Considered a Golf for a few seconds. Didn't like the top end power drop on the FoST and the Turbo lag on the WRX. Wife suggested the Mustang and that was the end of the story. I ended up getting a GT Premium with PP with Nav, Security Package and Park Assist in Guard. I used to have a 2008 Highland Green Bullitt. Loved the car especially since we won it in a raffle. Sold it to pay for daughter's college after driving it for a year. Glad to be back in the Mustang family.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Spent a long time trying to land a Challenger Hellcat, but finally gave up with all the dealer games & ADM nonsense - just not worth it. Thought briefly about a Challenger 392 and a used CLS AMG63 but neither really floated my boat.

Was going to order a Roush S3, but while I like a lot of what they were doing, there were bits that held no appeal to me.

So I ordered a GT Prem & have the dealer (who's Roush authorized) queued up to upfit it with the Roush & Steeda bits I want :D

fdl2phx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Mustang Bullitt
Infiniti Q50S & Lexus GS 350. Both CPO. Both were great, but:

The Mustang interior did just enough to not be completely outclassed, and neither of them is available in manual.

Plus, there's something about my Guard & Dark Saddle that invokes a very British motoring feel.

Sponsored

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
2 Series

BMW 228 with m/sport. I was going to order and glad I didn't since the the 228 demo drive was disappointingly dull.

The EB is a better driving car IMO and $10k less.

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
I'm a Mustang guy and went looking at the 2015 Mustang only, but I will say if I could have ran across a good deal on a 2015 Challenger 392 Scat Pack, I would have thought long and hard on that one. I know of a 2015 392 Scat pack right now at a very good price.

corvettez06usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Keep in mind I was shopping for a Mustang for over a year and my original choice was going to be the 2.3L or V6, so my spending mark was around 26k with the exception of the 370Z, because I absolutely love that car I would try to make 32K work:

370Z. Ended up saying no because it uses 2 different sized tires front and back. Overall would have been expensive to daily drive. My insurance quote was really high as well.

FRS. Really like the idea of a compact, balanced sports car. However the 200hp made me feel that ultimately it would be cheaper to upgrade the suspension and brakes on my 2001 V6 Mustang and have had the same experience.

Camaro. Interior felt blank. More like a Blind time zone than a spot. Chop top roof made me feel like I was in a tank.

Challenger. At the dealership I was ignored, so I didn't really get to dig into it much. Might have liked it, but what I could see by looking through the window was the same chop top/blind time zone issue as the Camaro.

Miata. Compact roadster sounds awesome to have. Acceleration that was comparable to my 2001 Mustang not so much. Really thought about how much I would be dropping the top, which wasn't much.

Focus/Fiesta ST. All cool stuff, matted to a FWD transmission. No dice.

Taurus AWD. Appealed more to my love for cruising/grand touring cars. To get it with AWD would have been a bit of a task at a price I was willing to spend. Ultimately felt like an "old guy" car, as much as I wanted to see it as a BMW Sedan.

Beetle Turbo. Found out they weren't rear engine, RWD since the 60s.

WRX. Another AWD curiosity. This one survived to some of the final rounds in my decision, but ultimately I didn't like that Subaru used a CVT with pre-determined shift points as it's automatically shifting transmission. Really lame to use a CVT, but block one of its main advantages, even if said advantage isn't up to snuff for performance.

C5 Corvette. The car I've wanted since I was 16. My dream car for many years, and probably will be till the end. Problem was the car I was going to buy had to be good for driving every day. When I dug into cost of maintenance, it got too expensive.

228i (BMW). This was a very serious consideration. It seemed to fall into a balanced handling car category while not having the FRS lack of power issue, but I had heard that if it's not the M235i then it isn't much to write home about. Fear of high insurance and the stigma that European cars are expensive to fix kept me away in the end, ontop of the fact that finding a BMW with no options is very very very hard from my experience. I'd have only been able to afford it in base trim.

So then I saw the revealed 2015 Mustang and it was the end of my adventure. I was never a huge fan of the retro styled S197, given that the SN95 (1999-2004) is my favorite body style. I see a lot of "New Edge" in the S550. Some elements even coming from the SN95 (wrap around headlamps, staggered tail lamps like steps, smooth curves going into hard lines overall). I went from V6/2.3L to GT when I realized since I was considering a 32k 370Z, why not a V8 Mustang? Haven't regretted it at all, even with 23MPG on average. I call it the cool car tax.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
OH MAN, I'm surprised I haven't commented on this sooner!

Idealistically, it was this
(Would of either waited or custom ordered one)... but at the time, I didn't wanna auto

I was then considering this for Work and everyday driving:

While secretly hoping I could get this:

Thankfully, I had to drive my mom somewhere when I went to do the "Test drive our car and get $50 in the mail", she saw the Mustang, fell in love and told me just get that instead of the truck (Dad wanted it ASAP)

Yakapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura tsx
First post...

I haven't purchsed a mustang - yet. I'm looking for '15 or '16 gt convertible. I'm not even sure what is in the same category. I want a convertible with a back seat. There's the bmw 4 series convertible, but you can't get it with a manual. There's the camaro - but it's so disgustingly ugly and I hate the bathtub body style. Honestly, I've liked mustangs since I was in high school. And that was a very long time ago.

A little off topic, but if I'm not looking to track the car, does the PP ride too rough? To be honest, I don't like how narrow the wheels are on the stock gt. Too bad ford doesn't offer some sort of magnetic suspension or something.
Sponsored