Sponsored

What are you all doing to your V6

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
Ok I have had my 6 for a year now, my mod list is very small and I am starting to feel buyers remorse , all I have done to the 6 is to add the GT exhaust mod and put in the airaid close box cold air intake that's it.

so what can I do to make my car more fun to drive I know I will never have that push you into the seat feeling but there must be something I can do to make the remorse go away

Respectfully
Mark
Sponsored

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
Ok I have had my 6 for a year now, my mod list is very small and I am starting to feel buyers remorse , all I have done to the 6 is to add the GT exhaust mod and put in the airaid close box cold air intake that's it.

so what can I do to make my car more fun to drive I know I will never have that push you into the seat feeling but there must be something I can do to make the remorse go away

Respectfully
Mark
A programmer and a tune will be the best bang for your buck when it comes to performance. I would recommend MPT.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
Just enjoy the car, if you need HP, save up and buy a GT stop throwing $$ at your v6. I love my v6. A GT will cost more all over the place. Trust me i've had a couple. You've been bitten by the HP bug, nothing but throwing money away will fix that. it's a dark evil road you're heading down.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)

Respectfully
Mark
Good basic mods:

Fix suspension weak points in the IRS. This totally transforms the car in the handling department, makes the car rotate better, dramatically reduce wheel hop. You will be surprised how much of difference this makes. You will have to do this regardless if your V6, EB, or GT (you're not running away from that lol) if you really want the most out of your suspension (see my sig). If you're a MT-82 you'll definitely want to swap fluid for the BG. You'd want BG in the diff as well. You also have all of the sway bar, springs, coil overs, and various suspension mods as any other Mustang at your disposal.

For Engine:

Basic Mods:

93 Oct tune
Reische 170* T-Stat (you need a tune for this, helps keeps temps cool allowing more timing thus more HP)
PCV Delete (PCV reduces effective octane and makes IATs climb)
Oil catch can
Shorty headers
Exhaust
Ported intake manifold

Advanced mods/Hot NA:

Aggressive cams
Upgraded valvetrain (springs etc.)
Higher compression pistons
Milling the heads
P&P Heads
4.0L Stroker
100 Oct or E85 (Allows more timing advance = big power)

Extreme:

Procharger (skips most of the high compression n/a stuff and going straight to FI).
-Supporting mods for the blower (depending on goals).

-3.5L TT EB turbo kit (requires custom fabrication and knowledge/ once again skips most n/a high compression stuff)
-Once again supporting mods/build depending on goals.

-Good FI tuning to tie it all together.

**Sky is the limit and technically it's no different than any other engine. Know what you want before you buy it. Buyers remorse should be prevented at the test drive. Do research before modding. Figure out if the engine is right for you in the first place. I personally like the Cyclone because it forces you to be more creative in modding. That might not be for you and you want more power out the box (ala GT etc.). Also remember there are people who never can have enough power and have their needs met (not matter what vehicle they own). Know your power goals and what you want or you will be in an endless state of confusion.

There's plenty I have missed and you're only limited by your wallet.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP

Respectfully
Mark
Im guessing a tune. From the reviews ive seen, thats what will really unleash the cars true potential.
I was in your position too with all that regret, i was like "damn i really need a GT"....after i put on these outlaws i was like "damm do i really need a GT?". Lol. Enjoy your car while you can, us V6 guys eventually move up.. Our cars are still pretty quick and theyre sexy af. Remember youre saving a crapload of money having the v6. Ive test driven the GT many times and while its definitely strong, i really felt like i could wait for it. Plus the v6s may be discontinued in 2018 and i think its cool to have a car thats no longer in production.

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Im guessing a tune. From the reviews ive seen, thats what will really unleash the cars true potential.
I was in your position too with all that regret, i was like "damn i really need a GT"....after i put on these outlaws i was like "damm do i really need a GT?". Lol. Enjoy your car while you can, us V6 guys eventually move up.. Our cars are still pretty quick and theyre sexy af. Remember youre saving a crapload of money having the v6. Ive test driven the GT many times and while its definitely strong, i really felt like i could wait for it. Plus the v6s may be discontinued in 2018 and i think its cool to have a car thats no longer in production.
Just do yourself a favor and get what you really wanted in the first place. You'll be happier in the long run. You can give me your V6 while you're at it. :D

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Just do yourself a favor and get what you really wanted in the first place. You'll be happier in the long run. You can give me your V6 while you're at it. :D
No way....i love my sixxer.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
What am I doing with my v6? I'm driving it on nice days and am enjoying having more power than 80% of the cars on the road.

I know the feeling you have though. Knowing there's something more powerful out there, and you don't have it can leave you wanting more. But theres always more power that can be made. It just depends on if you want to pay Ford to do it for you, by buying the 5.0, and being like 70% of Mustang owners. Or you can be one of the 10% of Mustang owners, and be more unique with a v6. If you really want to stand out, be in that .5% who have a supercharged V6.

You can see a 5.0 on every road in almost every country now. The v6 has a limited worldwide market, you can't find one on every road, not even in the US.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I want to do the 3.5L kit for mine but will have to wait until I finish school. Until then I plan to do pvc delete, xpipe, 93 octane tune and the 170 degree thermostat. I also eventually will do the sync3 upgrade but like the 3.5L kit may have to wait until after school.

Aside from the visual mods I've added, I just enjoy driving around listening to the stock GT exhaust. Best $50 I've ever spent.

OP
OP
markbento

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
Thanks for the reply's. Its not that I want more power I just feel its lacking something, I have never bought a base model anything ever. This was to be my wife's car not mine, So when we were shopping for it she had the main say. We had been talking about getting a fun car to drive now that I am retired and her car a 05 acura TL was up for replace meant, nothing wrong with it just age and miles. so when we finally came to what car the mustang won out as I had bought her one when we were first married. when we started looking she then said she wanted a convertible a car we both had never had so I was ok with that. we were looking at the used car market as as she did not want a brand new car. I found the 2015 we got used with only 3600 miles on it in the mid twenties, after going to look at the car and not being able to drive it because of a dash problem that was only a 10 dollar fix she was upset. she drove a new 5 miles black vert with the same options and she loved it. so while we were sill in the black stang I asked her point blank " do you like this car ?" her answer was that she loved it, Next question was then what color silver or black she liked the silver. so back to the dealers and she sat in the silver one that had been pulled into the shop started the motor played with the knobs , the look on her face said it all so I bought it for her on the spot, the dealer put in the contract that the sales hinged on the car being fixed right and her driving it to make sure it was the one she wanted.

I already knew the answer to that one it was all over her she looked like the 22 yr old I had married 35 years before LOL.
Now comes the curve ball. Its all washed nice and clean in and out we got it in Sept of 15 so top down weather was gone but still nice driving weather so off we go ask her if she wants to drive she tells me no you drive put it though its test you are always able to find if a car need anything fixed. Ok that was the norm two week go by she still will not drive it.

So she has been taking my 2012 Jeep wrangler altitude edition every were she was going.
SO I get her to go for a drive pull over get out and go to passenger side tell her to get out and I get in and she's standing there looking at me I tell her drive its your car so drive.

She drives and the look on her face is there again so I think ok its good to go. she is a school teacher so school is starting she go's to work I get up my jeep is gone mustang is in drive, ok I think must have had stuff she needed to bring to school next day same thing.

I get to talk with her that night as ask why are you driving my jeep. this is when I got hit with the curve ball, She tells me " the mustang is to nice for me to talk to work and park it in the teachers lot" she dose not feel comfortable taking the car there so she is taking my jeep. fast forward to now its just about a year we have had the mustang she has driven it a total of 4 times and it has become my car as she has laid clamed to my jeep.
If I had known this was going to happen I would have gone the GT because of the options that I want in the cars that are mine.

So no I am not upset about it being a V6 must of the other cars we have had were 6's my trucks were 8's but what is killing me is I just want it to be a little more like a mustang
300 horses are fine but it just dose not feel like it has 300 what can I do to wake her up and make her sound and feel like she has all 300?

Like I stated before I took the stock V6 exhaust off and put on the stock GT one but it still need more so added the Airaid cold air intake to it it sounds better and I have gained 3 more miles to the gallon of gas but it still feels like it needs a little more to make it right.

So that's why I asked the question about what you are all ding so I could see if there is something you did to make your car more fun to drive.

Sorry for the long post here
Respectfully
Mark

Sponsored

Tems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
I put an X-pipe on mine, makes it loud, especially cold starts in the morning.

Iv heard of people driving in sport mode 24/7, I just do it when I feel like going fast lol

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply's. Its not that I want more power I just feel its lacking something, I have never bought a base model anything ever. This was to be my wife's car not mine, So when we were shopping for it she had the main say. We had been talking about getting a fun car to drive now that I am retired and her car a 05 acura TL was up for replace meant, nothing wrong with it just age and miles. so when we finally came to what car the mustang won out as I had bought her one when we were first married. when we started looking she then said she wanted a convertible a car we both had never had so I was ok with that. we were looking at the used car market as as she did not want a brand new car. I found the 2015 we got used with only 3600 miles on it in the mid twenties, after going to look at the car and not being able to drive it because of a dash problem that was only a 10 dollar fix she was upset. she drove a new 5 miles black vert with the same options and she loved it. so while we were sill in the black stang I asked her point blank " do you like this car ?" her answer was that she loved it, Next question was then what color silver or black she liked the silver. so back to the dealers and she sat in the silver one that had been pulled into the shop started the motor played with the knobs , the look on her face said it all so I bought it for her on the spot, the dealer put in the contract that the sales hinged on the car being fixed right and her driving it to make sure it was the one she wanted.

I already knew the answer to that one it was all over her she looked like the 22 yr old I had married 35 years before LOL.
Now comes the curve ball. Its all washed nice and clean in and out we got it in Sept of 15 so top down weather was gone but still nice driving weather so off we go ask her if she wants to drive she tells me no you drive put it though its test you are always able to find if a car need anything fixed. Ok that was the norm two week go by she still will not drive it.

So she has been taking my 2012 Jeep wrangler altitude edition every were she was going.
SO I get her to go for a drive pull over get out and go to passenger side tell her to get out and I get in and she's standing there looking at me I tell her drive its your car so drive.

She drives and the look on her face is there again so I think ok its good to go. she is a school teacher so school is starting she go's to work I get up my jeep is gone mustang is in drive, ok I think must have had stuff she needed to bring to school next day same thing.

I get to talk with her that night as ask why are you driving my jeep. this is when I got hit with the curve ball, She tells me " the mustang is to nice for me to talk to work and park it in the teachers lot" she dose not feel comfortable taking the car there so she is taking my jeep. fast forward to now its just about a year we have had the mustang she has driven it a total of 4 times and it has become my car as she has laid clamed to my jeep.
If I had known this was going to happen I would have gone the GT because of the options that I want in the cars that are mine.

So no I am not upset about it being a V6 must of the other cars we have had were 6's my trucks were 8's but what is killing me is I just want it to be a little more like a mustang
300 horses are fine but it just dose not feel like it has 300 what can I do to wake her up and make her sound and feel like she has all 300?

Like I stated before I took the stock V6 exhaust off and put on the stock GT one but it still need more so added the Airaid cold air intake to it it sounds better and I have gained 3 more miles to the gallon of gas but it still feels like it needs a little more to make it right.

So that's why I asked the question about what you are all ding so I could see if there is something you did to make your car more fun to drive.

Sorry for the long post here
Respectfully
Mark
You have your answers now. It may not "feel" like 300HP until you go to the track and piss off a 4.6 Mustang or 5.7 Hemi guy. :D Also part of that problem is the Drive By Wire. The 5.0 throttle response feels "laggy" too (browse the 5.0 section sometime) even though it's very powerful due to the DBW. A tune will quickly take care of that. Also keep in mind the power your "base" Mustang has is power you used to have to pay a premium price for not even a decade ago. As mentioned previously, the IRS weaknesses will kill the experience for the GT too, you're going to be upgrading something on these cars either way.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Ill throw away money however i please. F you guys saying its a waste of time to spend money on a v6

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ill throw away money however i please. F you guys saying its a waste of time to spend money on a v6
^This, I want to know when did it become a waste to invest in a 6 cyl engine that runs 13's n/a and is nowhere near maxed out. It's not like this is the 3.8L/4.0L OHV. :lol:

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler

Respectfully
Mark
I got a SCTx4 direct from SCT Sanford, FL little over $400 it preloaded with 87,91, 93 tunes you can program the menu for RPM's from idle to redline and if you have a auto you can increase the shifting firmness to +25% over factory. Also A K&N drop in filter. my 2015 V6 auto very quick from stop to top end very pleased.
Sponsored