Sponsored

Water pump? failed. Is the engine OK?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Today while driving I started hearing a squeal on the road, but I assumed it was the car in front of me since my car is in perfect shape with only 27k miles. Later, I noticed a smell and a few minutes after that my dash lit up red with an overheating warning. I checked the temp gauge and see it was all the way up so I pulled over as soon as I could, parked and shut the car off. I checked under the hood and there was coolant everywhere and the overflow was empty. My cars still under warranty until July so I had it towed to the dealer. Is engine damage likely ion this scenario? How can I tell?
Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Without knowing exactly how hot it got it’s hard to say. Let the dealer do their thing, but you’re likely ok. You usually have to overheat them multiple times or just keep driving with it overheating ignoring the lights.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Without knowing exactly how hot it got it’s hard to say. Let the dealer do their thing, but you’re likely ok. You usually have to overheat them multiple times or just keep driving with it overheating ignoring the lights.
Thanks. I think I pulled it over and shut it down in time. Regardless, it's under warranty, so I'm pretty happy I went with the 8 year extended warranty. AAA roadside on the other hand is terrible. Called for a tow at 1pm and it's now 2:30am and I'm still waiting.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
AAA may have to get another location to send a vehicle that will not damage your car.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I remember popping two water pumps in my 4.0L XJ. One was in a parking lot, just turned the key and all the coolant fell out.

If you pulled over and stopped shortly after the light came on I wouldn't stress.

Called for a tow at 1pm and it's now 2:30am
I hope that's a typo lol.

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
If you didn’t get a check engine, wrench light or limp mode you’re probably fine. I blew the water pump in my charger and the hemi actually ran at operating temp with no coolant for 5 miles to the dealership albeit in the winter at 30 degrees. It was pretty amazing that the oil temp never got out of range. I’m sure the cylinders were hot but this was 30k miles ago and it’s been fine. I would assume the coyote is engineered just as well.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; No opinion on engine condition as that all depends how hot and for how long. My comment is more about warning signs. I do not know if Ford factory antifreeze smells different that all other types of antifreeze, but I seriously doubt such. It seems very likely you were smelling hot antifreeze for some time before the catastrophic failure.
When the squealing started my guess is the smell had to be strong as hot antifreeze was released onto a hot engine. Should have been plenty of steam as well. I have had hoses rupture and the smell and cloud of steam is hard to miss.

Anyway, regardless of the outcome for the engine, you have a life lesson at hand. Remember that hot antifreeze smell. When you smell it check under the hood right way. Try not to panic if the smell shows up in a crowded parking lot as it may be another car. I often catch that smell in lots.

Good luck anaway

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Another thought. The squealing very likely was antifreeze on the belts and pulleys that drive the water pump, alternator and AC slipping from being wet.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think you'll be ok if you shut it off as quickly as you did. The PCM has pretty good safety measures built in to prevent major damage, and will give warnings with plenty of time before it's really an issue.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember popping two water pumps in my 4.0L XJ. One was in a parking lot, just turned the key and all the coolant fell out.

If you pulled over and stopped shortly after the light came on I wouldn't stress.

I wish. 24 hours late

I wish, 24 hours later and no tow truck. Car still in a bad spot on the side of the road and I had to run back down, a 50min drive, at 12am to close my window because storms rolled through and I left it open some for the driver, since he was supposed to be there in an hour, in case the car automatically locked. Such a PITA all around.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; No opinion on engine condition as that all depends how hot and for how long. My comment is more about warning signs. I do not know if Ford factory antifreeze smells different that all other types of antifreeze, but I seriously doubt such. It seems very likely you were smelling hot antifreeze for some time before the catastrophic failure.
When the squealing started my guess is the smell had to be strong as hot antifreeze was released onto a hot engine. Should have been plenty of steam as well. I have had hoses rupture and the smell and cloud of steam is hard to miss.

Anyway, regardless of the outcome for the engine, you have a life lesson at hand. Remember that hot antifreeze smell. When you smell it check under the hood right way. Try not to panic if the smell shows up in a crowded parking lot as it may be another car. I often catch that smell in lots.

Good luck anaway
Yeah, it's definitely a different smell. Smelled like fish lol. I didn't see steam until I pulled over after the light came on. I had issues with head gaskets on my SN95's many years ago but that had more of a sweet typical antifreeze smell. It was weird though, I only started smelling it maybe 5 minutes or so before the light came on. It must have dumped the coolant fast, it was all over my engine bay by the time I pulled over. I guess I'll have to do a good engine bay detail after this.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you didn’t get a check engine, wrench light or limp mode you’re probably fine. I blew the water pump in my charger and the hemi actually ran at operating temp with no coolant for 5 miles to the dealership albeit in the winter at 30 degrees. It was pretty amazing that the oil temp never got out of range. I’m sure the cylinders were hot but this was 30k miles ago and it’s been fine. I would assume the coyote is engineered just as well.
Good to know. I wasn't sure. It was pretty hot and once I seen there was no coolant left I figured it was best to shut it down immediately. My brother-in-law's shop was about 3 miles from it but I think that would have been pretty risky considering the time of day and traffic, plus it was like 75 degrees, I probably could have drove, stopped and let it cool, drove some more, etc. but that would have taken awhile. lol.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium

Good luck anaway
For what it’s worth the water pump on my charger blew suddenly with no warning when it went.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just frustrated. Sucked being an hour from home and have this happen and then AAA take over 24 hours to arrive (they're supposed to be there in 5min, we shall see). On top of that I just had my blend door actuator replaced 3 weeks ago for the 3rd time and within a week it went out again. I guess I'm lucky I still have the extended warranty until July, but tired of having my car in and out of the shop. 27k miles and 3 weeks ago it was in for a leaking valve cover, they claimed it was the oil pan gasket and replaced that, but I have a feeling it's going to be back soon to have the valve cover done because it definitely looked like a valve cover leak, plus 3 blend doors and counting, plus backup cam, plus passenger window being erratic.... Now this. With my luck the eval core will go out in Aug., after my warranty ends. lol

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer called. The bearings in the water pump failed which caused the issue.
Sponsored