Sponsored

Visual difference between gen 2 and gen 3 whipples

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Hey Fellas,. Anyone know how to tell a gen 2 vs a gen3 2.9 Whipple apart? Like do they have a different part number stamped on them or...??? Thanks
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Gen 2 has straight “ribs” on the supercharger body itself while the gen 3 has curved ribs.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
^^ What he said.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There are some early Gen 3 that have straight ribs but they will have a W3 in the serial number stamped in the case.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There are some early Gen 3 that have straight ribs but they will have a W3 in the serial number stamped in the case.
Was it JUST the rotor pack that was changed or were changes also made to the casing other than the obvious external changes?
Asking because they referred to them as gen 2.5 (suggesting it wasn’t quite a gen 3)

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Gen3 Stage2 from Shelby and when I received it had straight rib case like a Gen2 but it had a W3 stamped in case. I reached out to Whipple sent them a pic of the case and the serial number and they told me it is a Gen3.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There is another member on here who has the same early Gen3 as mine straight rib case.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Last summer I sent my Gen 2 in to Whipple for an upgrade to Gen 3 rotor pack. The Gen 2 case must be clearanced for the new rotor pack and they also did some work on the inlet side to help with air filling. Newer bearings are used as well, but my understanding is the newer case/housing design of the Gen 3 is slightly better then the modified Gen 2. The main difference is the screw design which has a new rotor pack profile making it more efficient. Also one of the rotors (I think female) was lightened.
Sponsored