upgrade just speakers

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Wow, a lot of great info and advice in this thread! Thanks to all for sharing. I've been reading here for a couple days trying to figure out what to do. I really don't want to do more than upgrade the speakers, I'd rather spend the money on go fast parts but for those times I do listen to the radio (or my tunes on my iPhone), the stock Shaker Pro system is pretty bad. To give you an idea how low I set my standards, I think the bass will work for what I want, just some polyfill in the sub. After reading here, I decided on the JBL:

Front 3.5's. GTO 329
Front 6.5's. GTO 628
Rear 6.5's. GTO 638

At this point I'm still missing the tweeters which I'm reading are very important. First, I'm concerned the impedance is different on the Shaker vs the Shaker Pro after what some have seen on the mid-bass speakers themselves. Any advice on a reasonable set of tweeters to upgrade a Shaker Pro system?
If your going with the JBL's I suggest waiting on the tweeters as the 329"s really add much high end there. Also, since you have the 201A, you might want to listen to the stock door 6.5s with the new 329's first. I think the stock speakers actually may do better with the bass then the 628's. But maybe its all in my head. The door 6.5s are not full range and you will get nothing from the 628"s tweeters. 638's in the rear are nice. Enjoy!
Sponsored

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary
There should be a sticky letting people know what speakers they have used that are known to fit where the factory ones were located, in newer cars I have seen too many issues with clearance since stock speakers are crap.

I should have followed my own advice and not gotten the factory upgrade.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
God this makes for some confusing research. Almost 400 replies and I'm more confused now than when I started reading. Maybe I'll go read up on something simple like switching out my shift knob, oh shit that thread has even more posts. For some reason I think I'll just go buy some speakers and plug them in and everything will be just ducky, kinda like before the Internet showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
If your going with the JBL's I suggest waiting on the tweeters as the 329"s really add much high end there. Also, since you have the 201A, you might want to listen to the stock door 6.5s with the new 329's first. I think the stock speakers actually may do better with the bass then the 628's. But maybe its all in my head. The door 6.5s are not full range and you will get nothing from the 628"s tweeters. 638's in the rear are nice. Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice. Is there any way to measure it? I put the poly-fil in my sub. Of course because I did something, I think there was a benefit. In truth though, I have no idea how much if any benefit there really was. Maybe an iPhone or iPad app?

I haven't done the speakers yet. Maybe it would be a good idea to start with the rear and measure improvement, go to the 3.5" and measure improvement and then the 6.5" in the door. I went ahead and ordered the tweeters.

My plan is to use the replacement speakers as direct replacements keeping whatever factory crossover/filtering is in place. If I could've found a good 3.5" midbase without the tweeter, I would have gone that way. In this case If those frequencies are filtered out, the tweeter just won't be used. At least that seemed like a plan with my limited knowledge.

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary
God this makes for some confusing research. Almost 400 replies and I'm more confused now than when I started reading. Maybe I'll go read up on something simple like switching out my shift knob, oh shit that thread has even more posts. For some reason I think I'll just go buy some speakers and plug them in and everything will be just ducky, kinda like before the Internet showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah there needs to be a simplistic thread telling just the basics, like size of opening, ohm levels, factory amp ratings, etc...

Sponsored

Monumaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
Can anyone tell me the eBay numbers for the plug in adapters so I don't have to cut the factory plugs off?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Can anyone tell me the eBay numbers for the plug in adapters so I don't have to cut the factory plugs off?
Adapter for the 6.5"s= METRA 72-5602

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the base system, non-shaker. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on two pairs of Infinity Reference to replace all four 6.5" speakers and seeing how that does...

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refe...1457959522&sr=1-1&keywords=infinity+reference

Power Handling, RMS: 60 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 180 Watts
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 93dB
Frequency Response: 53Hz - 21kHz
Impedance: 2 Ohms

I especially like that they are 2ohm with 93dB sensitivity. I'm hoping this gives me that extra volume I'm looking for without needing to add an amp.

Monumaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
I have 4 Alpine SPS-610 6.5" going in friday... We'll see. Has to be better than the factory.

Stunna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium CS
Anyone using Audison Prima APK 165 - 6.5 2-Way Car Component Speakers?

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm not using them but I've installed a few sets. They are efficient, get loud, clear, more on the bright side of things but not harsh. Not big on bass but what they do create is tight and controlled when amplified properly. Great entry level choice!

I'd spring for Audison Voces if I were you (with an amp!) because the midbass on those with a proper installation is excellent. Some of my favorite car speakers. They thrive in a sealed door cavity.

Stunna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium CS
I still have no amp, wanted to see how it sound without it first, don't know which one to get, also do you know which speakers to use for 3.5? I was going to use hertz DCX 87.3 2way coaxial.

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
Does anyone know if I can add the LOC right to the pin in the base headunit. I don't plan on amplifying the tweeters but the stereo wiring diagram shows they are split from the front right and left channels. How do I not split them or do I have to keep this setup. Will my OHMs be distributed evenly if I add an amplifier?

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT