Sponsored

Unreasonable Dealer Markups

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Maybe Farley should be concerned with overall Quality coming off the assembly lines instead of what the Franchises aren't doing... Hell, Callahan Auto had better quality than what is being output from Ford these days... (see what I did there)...

🤣
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Why would they do anything when people are lined up to pay those prices? Ford stopped caring the second the car left the factory lol
Fortunately for us that’s not really true. There are those in Ford corporate management that are concerned about their image. They know that dealers who are adding these huge ADM’s are hurting that image. The question is how do they with the current franchise agreements deal with it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
true, but years later it will be ford they are probably screaming about not the dealer. Recognizing they made a bad choice paying adm would be personal responsibility and most folks cant seem to handle that.
Funny that the people who are paying these ADM’s aren’t complaining. Why? They can afford it. The only ones complaining are us forum folks who find the cars we really want unobtainable because of these crazy markups. And, of course, those who refuse to pay ADM’s on moral grounds. :giggle:

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
I think it's more of the current administration trying to price us out of low MPG ICE vehicles and entice us to become tree huggers.
But yet the U.S. does not have a robust enough electrical grid to support the Ev's much less normal electrical use.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
But yet the U.S. does not have a robust enough electrical grid to support the Ev's much less normal electrical use.
We have plenty of threads on EV's. This one is about dealer pricing/markups. Let's try to keep it on track. :like:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
true, but years later it will be ford they are probably screaming about not the dealer. Recognizing they made a bad choice paying adm would be personal responsibility and most folks cant seem to handle that.
That is true.
Today's world, it's always someone else's fault. lol

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
He says it's only 10% of dealers charging over MSRP or did he mean 10% are NOT charging over MSRP. Because it feels like the latter LOL

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It really doesn’t help though that the last 2 years I have been able to sell everything at more than I paid and it’s used, people have been receiving so much… free assistance money related to COVID that they don’t even care.

In my area stuff you wouldn’t believe people are basically rushing to buy at over inflated prices just because they have to have it and have money to burn.

Things are all messed up right now

In a normal market where money wasn’t so readily available people was trying to be smart about buying impulse purchases. Nah. Not anymore. Don’t care the price, let’s get it.

So you can’t fault dealers for trying to profit on it. I don’t blame them.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
There is apparently talk at Ford about spinning off their EV business into a new subsidiary in some way, likely a separately incorporated company. That would allow them to do direct sales to the customer like Tesla and Rivian, bypassing the dealership sales force entirely. That would mean the current ICE dealership sales model for the likes of Fords, GMs and Toyotas will 'die' within 10 years.

The current sales model is so last century. Get rid of the middleman entirely for sales and operate service centers only. I am a firm advocate against ADMs and wouldn't touch a dealer who plays that game. Our local dealers do not play that game to the best of my knowledge.

Sponsored

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Feeling bad for you guys. That loaded 2021 GT 401a in the picture was about $4k under sticker counting discount and rebate. Nice to know some dealers still want to deal.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Funny that the people who are paying these ADM’s aren’t complaining. Why? They can afford it. The only ones complaining are us forum folks who find the cars we really want unobtainable because of these crazy markups. And, of course, those who refuse to pay ADM’s on moral grounds. :giggle:
Heh, 'moral grounds'. I guess I could afford to pay a reasonable ADM on a GT500. If I wanted to, which I don't, because I'm wired that way. I'm a tightwad when it comes to cars. I learned from a pretty young age that cars are a terrible investment, thus I've yet to pay sticker on one. I would have paid sticker for the first time in my life for a '22 GT500, but gave up the pursuit in frustration because it's all ADM now. At this point, I doubt I'll ever pursue one of the top-tier Mustangs ever again because it'll be the same shit show with the dealers. Lost sale, Ford. And that should be a concern for them as a company in the business to sell cars.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Never paid markup, never will. I will walk instead. Only once did I pay sticker, out of 11 new vehicles.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I mean.. I think ford should stay out of it. the market is dictating itself what prices people are paying. if people dont want to pay ADM, the prices are dropping. but there are people paying these prices willingly.

the dealership is in it for profit. I dont honestly see a problem. would I want to pay ADM? no. but if the guy beside me has the money to burn and says LETS DO IT.

more power to him. I will wait til prices stabilize/supply. The dealership is doing exactly what its designed for, selling cars for ford.
Arguably (and I will always argue), they would sell a lot more cars for Ford at fair and reasonable prices. Coming from buying an F150 for $10,000 under MSRP 4 years ago to this B.S. is not something easy to swallow. Record low sales seem to show I'm right.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Arguably (and I will always argue), they would sell a lot more cars for Ford at fair and reasonable prices. Coming from buying an F150 for $10,000 under MSRP 4 years ago to this B.S. is not something easy to swallow. Record low sales seem to show I'm right.
Record low sales are because of low supply, not low demand. Also not every dealer is a thief. Many dealers are, can, and will sell for a reasonable price. Unfortunately in this current climate MSRP is considered reasonable. Also keep in mind that a lot of the cars that get these stupid high are also high demand cars, like the GT500, C8, Bronco, etc.
Sponsored