sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Unleashed German Shepherd Dog Shot and Killed at Nashville Park (msn.com)

Hello; Do not know enough details to have a strong opinion. Big, strange dogs are scary. The law in TN is you are to have the dog on a lead (leash). Not sure why the dog owners ignored this, but such is not uncommon.
My brother has scars from a fairly recent dog attack. He is now very nervous if a big dog is running loose.

On a different forum some of us got into a discussion about children and even adults being mauled to death. Pit bull type dogs are very high on the list of dogs that kill. Something around 50% of fatal mauling attributed to them. Saw online that London is banning the bully type dogs. I forget where German Shepards rank but they do attack a number of folks.

A thing learned from that discussion is some folks will never blame the dog. I could list all the excuses I suppose but will not.

A few years ago, I was riding my bicycle along a main road. Went by a yard where a man was outside with his dogs. No fence. Three boxers. One saw me and charged. The other two followed it. I was going uphill and knew i could not outrun the dogs. I stopped pedaling. got off the bike and put it between me and the closest dog. Got out my protection. Did not figure to have much chance of stopping all three. Got very lucky as the man was able to call the dogs back before they got to me.
I was relieved for several reasons. First i was not bitten. Second because the man was holding his young son in his arms and a different outcome would have bad for the child to see. Last because, as will happen to the man in this story, I would have been vilified if I killed a dog.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Can This Piston-Less Engine Save Internal Combustion And End EV Domination?? (msn.com)

Hello; Had to rewatch sections of this video a few times to get an idea of how the engine works. They show a running prototype.
Skip ahead past the history lesson of earlier rotary engines if you are familiar with that.
I like that. But electric motors will probably win out anyway. Electric motors are better than ICE. The problem with electric motors in cars is the batteries powering them with no guarantee those problems will ever be solved.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Unleashed German Shepherd Dog Shot and Killed at Nashville Park (msn.com)

Hello; Do not know enough details to have a strong opinion. Big, strange dogs are scary. The law in TN is you are to have the dog on a lead (leash). Not sure why the dog owners ignored this, but such is not uncommon.
My brother has scars from a fairly recent dog attack. He is now very nervous if a big dog is running loose.

On a different forum some of us got into a discussion about children and even adults being mauled to death. Pit bull type dogs are very high on the list of dogs that kill. Something around 50% of fatal mauling attributed to them. Saw online that London is banning the bully type dogs. I forget where German Shepards rank but they do attack a number of folks.

A thing learned from that discussion is some folks will never blame the dog. I could list all the excuses I suppose but will not.

A few years ago, I was riding my bicycle along a main road. Went by a yard where a man was outside with his dogs. No fence. Three boxers. One saw me and charged. The other two followed it. I was going uphill and knew i could not outrun the dogs. I stopped pedaling. got off the bike and put it between me and the closest dog. Got out my protection. Did not figure to have much chance of stopping all three. Got very lucky as the man was able to call the dogs back before they got to me.
I was relieved for several reasons. First i was not bitten. Second because the man was holding his young son in his arms and a different outcome would have bad for the child to see. Last because, as will happen to the man in this story, I would have been vilified if I killed a dog.
Similar, in my mind, to the calls to ban certain types of firearms. Some dogs are more capable of causing death or serious injury than others. Chihuahuas and Jack Russell Terriers are easy to defend against. So, the key question seems to be, what kind of people tend to own the dogs that are being targeted? Rather than banning breeds, some European countries and regions require behavioural tests. If the dog passes, no further action required. If the dog passes, they (may) have to be spayed/neutered and wear a muzzle when in public. The owner and dog also have to go through socialization training. This keeps it on an individual level and puts the responsibility on the owner.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Similar, in my mind, to the calls to ban certain types of firearms. Some dogs are more capable of causing death or serious injury than others. Chihuahuas and Jack Russell Terriers are easy to defend against. So, the key question seems to be, what kind of people tend to own the dogs that are being targeted? Rather than banning breeds, some European countries and regions require behavioural tests. If the dog passes, no further action required. If the dog passes, they (may) have to be spayed/neutered and wear a muzzle when in public. The owner and dog also have to go through socialization training. This keeps it on an individual level and puts the responsibility on the owner.
Hello; Do not know of the "personality" test for dogs but do understand, from personal experience, that some dogs are meaner that others. The flaw in this suggestion is the same flaw in current leash laws. Too many owners just do not follow the rules.

I forget the exact numbers and may have the links saved somewhere. I think it was pitbull types and one other type responsible for nearly 70% of fatal mauling's just a few years ago. With Pitbulls on their own being near 50%. May be an individual dog thing in some ways but when 50% of individuals killed are by a particular breed, such ought to be considered.

I have had more problems with German Shepards personally, but am more concerned about pitbulls.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello; Do not know of the "personality" test for dogs but do understand, from personal experience, that some dogs are meaner that others. The flaw in this suggestion is the same flaw in current leash laws. Too many owners just do not follow the rules.

I forget the exact numbers and may have the links saved somewhere. I think it was pitbull types and one other type responsible for nearly 70% of fatal mauling's just a few years ago. With Pitbulls on their own being near 50%. May be an individual dog thing in some ways but when 50% of individuals killed are by a particular breed, such ought to be considered.

I have had more problems with German Shepards personally, but am more concerned about pitbulls.
I get your point, but the leash analogy reinforces the gun analogy. What type of guns are used for mass shootings? Is it the gun or the shooter? What percentage of pitbulls never harm anyone? What types of dogs cause the greatest number of injuries (not pitbulls). So, there would have to be a lot more data points to really draw a meaningful conclusion.

In the situation you described, the owner recalled the dogs and they responded. This means they were supervised and well-trained. Had they been poodles, you probably wouldn't even remember the incident.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I get your point, but the leash analogy reinforces the gun analogy. What type of guns are used for mass shootings? Is it the gun or the shooter? What percentage of pitbulls never harm anyone? What types of dogs cause the greatest number of injuries (not pitbulls). So, there would have to be a lot more data points to really draw a meaningful conclusion.

In the situation you described, the owner recalled the dogs and they responded. This means they were supervised and well-trained. Had they been poodles, you probably wouldn't even remember the incident.
Hello; I will not be dragged into a false equivalency of dogs and firearms. I do not buy it anyway. a dog is not an inanimate object. A dog can and will make decisions on its own. I have known of vicious dogs with good owners.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello; I will not be dragged into a false equivalency of dogs and firearms. I do not buy it anyway. a dog is not an inanimate object. A dog can and will make decisions on its own. I have known of vicious dogs with good owners.
It's not a false equivalency. If someone owns something that is potentially dangerous but controllable, it does not mean that item should be banned. It means the owner should be responsible.

Regarding dogs, I've been training them for a long time, and I cannot find any proof of a dangerous breed. It is a fact, however, that some inflict more harm than others if they are aggressive. It is also a fact that aggressive people tend to adopt the type of dogs that are capable of inflicting the most harm--back to the analogy.

The solution is to train the person so they can train the dog. In the US in particular, we do not require dogs and owners to undergo responsible training.

https://maho-prentice.com/blog/2021/11/dog-bite-statistics-by-breed-2021/

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The solution is to train the person so they can train the dog. In the US in particular, we do not require dogs and owners to undergo responsible training.
Hello; From a personal perspective that is acceptable as I do not plan on having a dog again. I just do not see people going for such a thing. A fantasy at best from where i sit.

The last dog I had which was all mine was trained well. I took the time from when he was a pup. Most folks i know might make it to paper training.

But lets expand on your fantasy for a moment. Say you manage to get some sort of person training law on the books. What will happen to all the dogs people currently have if the person fails the training course or just refuses to take the classes? I can come up with more issues.