Unofficial Off Topic Thread

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
First-Ever Two-Piece Connecting Rod Is Intriguing Piece of Tech (msn.com)

Saw this today. Referring to the old saying "you cannot push a chain", I wonder what keeps the two pivot points on the connecting rods from allowing moving around of the short rod sections. Maybe there are some sort of stops built in the pivots?

I get the advantage of no side loads on the piston skirts. Less friction maybe???

Bet some sort of noise is associated.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
How about some loss of torque off the power stroke? Could be a high winder.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
How about some loss of torque off the power stroke? Could be a high winder.
Hello; Yes. Good point. I must be missing something. My first lightly considered thought is the problem likely will be a sudden lift off the throttle followed quickly by flooring the gas.

I guess it works to some degree as they say there is a motor running around.

Wonder if they splash oil the extra wrist pins?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Yes. Good point. I must be missing something. My first lightly considered thought is the problem likely will be a sudden lift off the throttle followed quickly by flooring the gas.

I guess it works to some degree as they say there is a motor running around.

Wonder if they splash oil the extra wrist pins?
Good question for sure.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I need to read the article again. Not clear if there is a pivoting wrist pin at the piston or if the short rod section at the piston is somehow fixed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I need to read the article again. Not clear if there is a pivoting wrist pin at the piston or if the short rod section at the piston is somehow fixed.
Hello; Did a brief search. Could not find another descriptive article. Found several about the patent process is all. Maybe one of those technical experiments which show up in magazines every so often yet never are heard from again.

I still am interested in how the design prevents side loads? Also how does the design allow the piston to move deeper and create more dynamic compression??

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Although I hope for more information about the two-pivot connecting rod, I did not intend the thread to be limited to that topic only.
Let me post about my lodger. Saw him/her a year ago last fall. Somehow it got into my basement and spent the winter. He/she is back this fall. Saw the snake climbing my brick wall again. After some thought I think it is going for the gap in the soffit where the electric powerhead pipe goes thru.
I do not mind a snake in the basement as i did not catch any mice last winter. I usually catch several coming in from the cow pasture next door.

DSCN8963.JPG
in from the cow pasture next door.

DSCN8960.JPG

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
As I understand the article, there's not 2 pivot points. The original pivot point is located within the piston. The new pivot point is further away from the piston to the spot where the piston side stays "square" in the cylinder throughout the stroke.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
As I understand the article, there's not 2 pivot points. The original pivot point is located within the piston. The new pivot point is further away from the piston to the spot where the piston side stays "square" in the cylinder throughout the stroke.
Hello; That makes more sense. The small rod extension at the piston is a solid part of the piston.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Been watching some football lately. As is usual lots of times players make moves which seem to show a lack of clear understanding of either the rules or the game situation or sometimes both. I am wondering if some sort of stats are kept about these error type moves? Seems logical as in sports stats are kept on everything.
What I think to call it is football IQ. However, if it already is known may be called something else. By that i am thinking some sort of scale to rank or in some way differentiate those players who have a good Football IQ from those who flounder a lot.

Best way I can think of so far is to start everyone out will a score of 100 and then deduct points as they show a lack of understanding. I do not think simple mistakes ought to count against a player. I would not include fumbling the ball or dropping a pass. They may have a good understanding of what to do but just do not execute well. I get that a receiver who drops too many balls has a problem, he understands the point is to try to catch the ball.

An example might be a defensive player who takes a shot at a quarterback too late and gets an unnecessary foul called. Saw that cost his team a touchdown after his teammate intercepted the throw and had a pick six taken away.
Another may be a receiver who fails to step out of bounds when time is running out and his team lacks timeouts near the end of a half.

If some sort of measure already exists, I have wasted some more time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Saw my first Mach E today. It was stopped next to me at a red light on the only four lane highway in the area. Did not notice it right away as it was just another SUV at first. Saw the center caps on the wheels and took another look.
As it drove along later i saw the Mustang cues. But it still was an SUV. That Hwy (US 25 E) is an alternative route between Corbin KY and Morristown TN. A route so drivers can avoid Knoxville TN on the way to I-81. They get off I-75 at Corbin then on I-81 at Morristown. Took decades to four lane. Saves miles more than time as it passes thru a few towns. I guess avoiding Knoxville's traffic is a plus.

If passing thru, hope it was charged up. Not many, if any, public chargers in this area.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Watched a PBS program today about crypto. ( Crypto Decoded) The thing which caught my attention was about mining for Bitcoin. The cryptology used to make transactions safe turns out to be only one part ( a digital ledger). Seems there are secondary security steps called block chains. Block chains are a security backup to show the ledger has not been tampered with. So people cannot spend the same coin more than once.

I do not understand the technical aspects of mining bitcoin and building block chains. I do get that the "mining" essentially wastes a lot of electricity. The program says one percent of the world's electrical energy (1%). For any as ignorant as i was about the crypto stuff let me try to break it down.

To keep the books checked, verified and up to date for each and every transaction blocks of all the data are created over and over again. Somehow the next person (entity) allowed to create a new block has to be picked. For bitcoin the program said a complicated problem (cryptographic puzzle) has to be solved by using a lot of computer power and also lots of electricity. Seems big setups (farms?) are built with lots of computers just to solve the problems. Big point, to me, is the turning huge amounts of electricity into waste heat during the solving of the made-up problems.

The more energy and computer effort used the better the chance you get to make the next block in the chain of blocks. When you are allowed to make a block a reward comes with it. More Bitcoins for each block you get to make. A new block every ten minutes or so.

Enough of what I do not fully understand. What i did get is a bunch of electricity is used and, in a time, when electric energy demand is at a premium that does not seem a good idea. What am I missing?

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
First-Ever Two-Piece Connecting Rod Is Intriguing Piece of Tech (msn.com)

Saw this today. Referring to the old saying "you cannot push a chain", I wonder what keeps the two pivot points on the connecting rods from allowing moving around of the short rod sections. Maybe there are some sort of stops built in the pivots?

I get the advantage of no side loads on the piston skirts. Less friction maybe???

Bet some sort of noise is associated.
Here's Everything We Learned About the Thunder Rod (msn.com)
Hello; Found another link with more detailed information about what is called a "thunder rod".
Interesting to see that there are three pivot points with the rod. At the crank as is traditional. A new pivot point in the middle top of the rod and a traditional pivot in the piston. The key seems to be the pivot at the piston has two bits which restrict movement of the piston on that pivot.
Interesting read.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hello; Watched a PBS program today about crypto. ( Crypto Decoded) The thing which caught my attention was about mining for Bitcoin. The cryptology used to make transactions safe turns out to be only one part ( a digital ledger). Seems there are secondary security steps called block chains. Block chains are a security backup to show the ledger has not been tampered with. So people cannot spend the same coin more than once.

I do not understand the technical aspects of mining bitcoin and building block chains. I do get that the "mining" essentially wastes a lot of electricity. The program says one percent of the world's electrical energy (1%). For any as ignorant as i was about the crypto stuff let me try to break it down.

To keep the books checked, verified and up to date for each and every transaction blocks of all the data are created over and over again. Somehow the next person (entity) allowed to create a new block has to be picked. For bitcoin the program said a complicated problem (cryptographic puzzle) has to be solved by using a lot of computer power and also lots of electricity. Seems big setups (farms?) are built with lots of computers just to solve the problems. Big point, to me, is the turning huge amounts of electricity into waste heat during the solving of the made-up problems.

The more energy and computer effort used the better the chance you get to make the next block in the chain of blocks. When you are allowed to make a block a reward comes with it. More Bitcoins for each block you get to make. A new block every ten minutes or so.

Enough of what I do not fully understand. What i did get is a bunch of electricity is used and, in a time, when electric energy demand is at a premium that does not seem a good idea. What am I missing?
You are missing nothing. Crypto is just another form of NFT.... the problem creates a unique result, a bit coin. The block chain ensures no duplication. If something is unique, somebody will pay for it with the expectation it will increase in value. The problem is that it only has value if somebody is willing to pay for it. It has no underlying value. The major attraction of crypto is transactions are extremely fast with no footprint and can't be traced. But, that is changing. Once transactions become tracked like your credit card or Paypal account it will lose value quickly.
Sponsored