Sponsored

Underhood Paint Question

..::Ryan::..

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic
So I have been seeing posts about folks on here painting their coil covers and other plastic parts under the hood, so I reached out to my paint guy and he said that he could do it, but because of the temps under the hood, it wouldn't last too long. He recommended having them powder coated instead. Would it be better to get them powder coated, or would automotive paint work? Not really worried about the price difference, I just don't want it to turn to crap after a year.

I know we have some paint guys among us :)
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You probably can't powder coat plastic parts because of the temperature required to cure it.

Everything that is painted under the hood is painted with the same paint that the outside of the car is painted with and it stands up fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I wouldn't be paying someone to paint some plastic bits and pieces. You purchase order factory paint colors in spray cans.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
You cannot powder coat plastic. It requires an electrically conductive part to attract the powder, and then very high heat to melt it to the part.

Just paint it and clear coat it, done.

OP
OP

..::Ryan::..

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic
Yeah, I didn't even think about the baking part of powder coating. Makes sense that it wouldn't work. I've tried painting parts myself and not a fan of the outcome (orange peel look). Shouldn't be very expensive to have him do it and not worry about it looking like crap.

Sponsored

RproulxatMAP

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fast moneypits
I've had many things including engine blocks painted in engine bays on my own personal projects and never had an issue with the paint degrading due to heat. The only thing you may encounter is yellowing of the clear on light colors.
Sponsored