Twin Turbo V6 Project

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Might be a stupid question but how did you cap off the BOVs built into the turbos? Not having them connected will prevent them from opening fully but they might be leaking causing some of the boost issues. Likewise, why not just use the built in BOVs?

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
Might be a stupid question but how did you cap off the BOVs built into the turbos? Not having them connected will prevent them from opening fully but they might be leaking causing some of the boost issues. Likewise, why not just use the built in BOVs?
We decided that it would be more efficient to use a single BOV. I think Tom had said he would cap them off by welding a small piece of metal around the fixture.

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
Mike said that they had physically seen the BOV malfunctioning. If replaced and still boost leaks, he mentioned doing a smoke test to confirm the leak. The built in BOV's would be a good place to start if that were the case.

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
Pink is SuperSixMotorsport's 2015 Procharged 3.7, 11PSI on 93 octane: 408RWHP/369RWTQ.
Blue is 3.5 EcoBoost F-150, 15PSI on 93-octane: 342RWTQ/374RWTQ.
Gold is my 2015 3.7 with EcoBoost swap turbos, 8 PSI on 93 octane: 336RWHP/353RWTQ.

This chart will answer the question that most people will have of "Will EcoBoost twin turbos on the 3.7 produce similar power outputs as the EcoBoost F150?" Answer in short is yes. As you can see, this in not the idealized tune for my car, so numbers will only go up from here.

We are going to tune on E85 and run about 10-12psi of boost. As of now, on 93 octane fuel, we are making similar power as the F150 EcoBoost with a little more than half of the boost that the trucks use.
dyno comparison.png

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Not bad at all. I'd like to see this car running in the 400's+ for sure. It'll make the V6 cars much more interesting and appealing to a lot of people.

Good pioneering on this one man. Gotta give you props

Demarianx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford mustang
are you planning to use an ebc to raise boost at higher rpm to compensate for the loss in air density of the smaller turbos that will eliminate the boost drop off above 4k rpm. Correct me if im wrong but because the ecoboost turbos flow lower cfm's that the procharger we will have to run slightly higher boost where as the procharger can make 450hp at 8 psi we will need to be at around 10-12psi to get similar numbers this is assuming you are using the same size injectors as a procharger. Im willing to bet you will see close to 500 on e85 with a good tune. since the ecoboost turbos flow less cfm we should in theory be able to get away with running higher than normal boost on our engines because were acctually flowing less air at say 14 psi than a procharger with the advantage that these turbos are good up to 18-20 psi before their over spun
:ford:

Im also waiting on your car to be tuned sine mpt is doing my tune as well i think their gonna use yours as the base tune

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
are you planning to use an ebc to raise boost at higher rpm to compensate for the loss in air density of the smaller turbos that will eliminate the boost drop off above 4k rpm. Correct me if im wrong but because the ecoboost turbos flow lower cfm's that the procharger we will have to run slightly higher boost where as the procharger can make 450hp at 8 psi we will need to be at around 10-12psi to get similar numbers this is assuming you are using the same size injectors as a procharger. Im willing to bet you will see close to 500 on e85 with a good tune. since the ecoboost turbos flow less cfm we should in theory be able to get away with running higher than normal boost on our engines because were acctually flowing less air at say 14 psi than a procharger with the advantage that these turbos are good up to 18-20 psi before their over spun
:ford:

Im also waiting on your car to be tuned sine mpt is doing my tune as well i think their gonna use yours as the base tune
Yes, I have since ordered and ebc and plan to fix the boost drop off. Im not sure the numbers of the ecoboost and prochargers cfm. Would imagine that they are different due to the size like you said.

Me and Mike have talked about running closer to 10-12psi of boost on e85. We are using DW65# injectors

Demarianx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford mustang
Sweet sounds like you already have addressed the problem iv been crunching numbers and so when i saw that you were getting boost drop of a few psi at higher rpm confirmed it a little for me. Our heads are similar to the v-tec so at high Rpm they really need to breath. if your boost is set to 8psi and is dropping to 6psi that fits into my calculation of higher boost being needed to even out the cfms we need to run about 2-3 psi above what the prochargers run im sure mike has noticed it. Cnt wait to see your final numbers

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Running into a really weird issue of whenever we increase boost, we make less power. Currently troubleshooting and trying to eliminate variables to determine why this is...
2 things come to mind.

1)Are you partially blowing out the spark? You are running relatively high compression and AFRs in the mid 11s so that can put alot of demand on the ignition system to get the spark to jump. A quick solution is to reduce plug gap. If it helps then you know you need more powerful coils.
2)are you getting out of the turbo's efficiency range. Check your charge air temps if they are spiking you are out of turbo and all that extra boost is just heat.

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2 things come to mind.

1)Are you partially blowing out the spark? You are running relatively high compression and AFRs in the mid 11s so that can put alot of demand on the ignition system to get the spark to jump. A quick solution is to reduce plug gap. If it helps then you know you need more powerful coils.
2)are you getting out of the turbo's efficiency range. Check your charge air temps if they are spiking you are out of turbo and all that extra boost is just heat.
Thanks for the suggestions, Mike did a test with different boost levels and fixed spark to determine if that was the issue. Have not heard results of that test. Also IAT are about 100-120F, nothing radical.

Will keep you updated.

Demarianx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford mustang
Thanks for the suggestions, Mike did a test with different boost levels and fixed spark to determine if that was the issue. Have not heard results of that test. Also IAT are about 100-120F, nothing radical.

Will keep you updated.
iat's are a lil high does your bumper support block the intercooler if so cut holes in that sumbi**h get more air past the intercooler and iats should drop you dnt wanna be above 110f iat you can test if your iats at the issue by iceing the intake pipe do a few pulls and see if you start making power if you do you know your intercooler isnt getting enough air past it

OP
OP
kodypiccirilli

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
iat's are a lil high does your bumper support block the intercooler if so cut holes in that sumbi**h get more air past the intercooler and iats should drop you dnt wanna be above 110f iat you can test if your iats at the issue by iceing the intake pipe do a few pulls and see if you start making power if you do you know your intercooler isnt getting enough air past it
Tom from SSM did the installation for this kit, and he said that this was where the intecooler had to be mounted due to the mounting points already on the intercooler. When I get the car back I am going to try to weld some brackets on and relocate the intercooler to the lower grille area.
Sponsored