Sponsored

tuning stock car... worth it?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Thanks for answering all my stupid PMs, lol. It shipped, but it'll arrive Monday, when I'm traveling for business... :p:frusty::(
yvw ;)
Sponsored

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
we have pretty close situation, i only modded suspension from spring damper to different bushings....

please tell me how it feels like after get tuned. thanks:cheers:
Finally got to load the tune, and there is definitely a difference. The car pulls a LOT harder in the lower RPM range, and pulls longer up top. It's a noticeable difference even after 3 days of driving it, so definitely not placebo. Is it suddenly a hellcat beater? No, but it sure is fun. And I get now what people mean when the say it now feels like a 400+ hp car vs the way it came from the factory.

I still need to datalog and send that to Lund, but so far, I'm happy.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
Any tunes (other than Bama) that work on 87 octane? Asking because we had a wakeup call with 93 running out thanks to the recent refinery shutdown/shortages/panic.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Any tunes (other than Bama) that work on 87 octane? Asking because we had a wakeup call with 93 running out thanks to the recent refinery shutdown/shortages/panic.
Just flash back to stock if that happens.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
I'm looking at getting an actual custom tune (not a canned tune that's ostensibly "made to fit my specific vehicle modifications!" but wasn't created specifically for my vehicle).

Looks like Lund does this for $650 plus the cost of the Ngauge.

I can't tell if Bama does, their mobile website is a mess.

Are there any others? I'm not really looking to get a canned tune.

Sponsored

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm looking at getting an actual custom tune (not a canned tune that's ostensibly "made to fit my specific vehicle modifications!" but wasn't created specifically for my vehicle).

Looks like Lund does this for $650 plus the cost of the Ngauge.

I can't tell if Bama does, their mobile website is a mess.

Are there any others? I'm not really looking to get a canned tune.
AED is another one.

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
NM

Last edited:

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm rather new to this platform, but it doesn't seem like many tune their own cars, but rather just load a tune. Kind of surprised most seem to use off the shelf tunes rather than dialing it in themselves. Most of the info I can find is Related to the brand, rather than the logs and specific parameters. I assume this is due to the ease of access and quality of off the shelf tunes? Or am I missing all the discussions on actual tuning.
Just curious.....nothing wrong with using a tuner at all..... just thought there would be more discussions regarding the actual tuning process.

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm rather new to this platform, but it doesn't seem like many tune their own cars, but rather just load a tune. Kind of surprised most seem to use off the shelf tunes rather than dialing it in themselves. Most of the info I can find is Related to the brand, rather than the logs and specific parameters. I assume this is due to the ease of access and quality of off the shelf tunes? Or am I missing all the discussions on actual tuning.
Just curious.....nothing wrong with using a tuner at all..... just thought there would be more discussions regarding the actual tuning process.
I've only seen about 4-6 members on here that tune their own cars, I've seen many members have Lund and AED tuning, and a few Livernois. I'm guessing because Lund and AED have it dialed in pretty good.

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've only seen about 4-6 members on here that tune their own cars, I've seen many members have Lund and AED tuning, and a few Livernois. I'm guessing because Lund and AED have it dialed in pretty good.
That's what it's looking like to me as well, but nothing wrong with it. Fuel, conditions, modification are always changing so it would be nice to monitor the logs and have the ability to make the changes myself. Just not as familiar with the available software/hardware that the self tuners are using for ford. Looks like HP Tuners has a small following, but most use an OTS tune, log once or twice and get a free tweak by the mass tuner.
I will probably get in touch with someone from Lund, AED or another tuner and learn more about options..... I assume that the SCT (live link) or Ngauge tools have the ability, I just need to learn more about the options.

Sponsored

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
I'm rather new to this platform, but it doesn't seem like many tune their own cars, but rather just load a tune. Kind of surprised most seem to use off the shelf tunes rather than dialing it in themselves.
I would tune my own car, but I don't know enough to do so and would not be confident in my work. My previous car was a Mazdaspeed6, and I used a Cobb AP to flash custom maps created for me by a professional tuner (Stratified). I did e-tuning (datalog a WOT pull, send the file to the tuner by email, he tweaks the map and sends you another one to flash, rinse and repeat till you're dialed in). I didn't use the free canned maps put out by Cobb (stage 2+, etc).

And that's what I'm looking for here, it's just that $650 (Lund's price) is a little crazy when you aren't even being dyno-tuned. Most pro tuners in the Mazdaspeed world would do a full custom e-tune for $200-250, even throwing in a separate E85 map gratis most of the time.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you pay close enough attention most of the guys on here pay for installation of anything that is more difficult than a new shift knob. With the S550 being relatively new, the do it yourself type guys are few and far between as the platform isn't in their price range yet.
Sponsored