Sponsored

Trending on /r/cars: 2019 Shelby GT500 to receive Ford's new N/A 7.0L V8 w/ DI

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
The "old" 3.5L was able to safely be opened up to 4.0L, from the factory, though it never was. So, if this new one can as well, a 4.0EB would be a nice differentiation between FGT's 3.5EB and a potential GT500 powerplant.

All the while being able push the EB name association with the Mustang nameplate.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I LOVE the idea of 4L V8s in general.

When I think about this, It goes like such:
-Ford will not be making the 5.0 Coyote into a EcoBoost 5.0 V8
-The Coyote is it's own thing.
-Who needs a 5.0 L Twin Turbo? Not McLaren, etc.
-Current EcoBoost stops at 3.5L.
-4L is a nice round number, and the perfect amount larger than 3.5.
-Ford might (will) want something higher up in the EcoBoost line, for Superduty.

I'd bet Ford is working on a V8 EcoBoost, that's small, and I'd imagine that it's generally based on the current Gen2 EB V6s.

The Wife has an Explorer Sport w/ EB 3.5L, and it's fun as hell. Only problem is it's a six cylinder. Six is an un-'Mercan number of cylinders.

There's no reason for Ford to do all the R&D on a one off Turbo application applied to a current Coyote. Especially if they're working on a small displacement EcoBoost V8. That's why I believe the Supercharged 5.2 rumors for the GT500.(or whatever it's called).

It will be super-badassed, but it will still be like a GT350 with a Roush Kit.

I also don't really see a reason the the 7.0L couldn't happen.
The boreXStroke on a Coyote os 3.63"x3.65"

The Boss 6.2 is 4.01"x3.74" . Add another of the same amount to go up another 0.8 L. The stroke is almost the same, and the bore would only add 0.4" in width. Or 0.2" per side.

If Ford were to design some heads that weren't as wide as the Coyote heads, that width could be mitigated. Ford could also replace the engine bay panels to allow factory clearances. This could be done especially if the cars were low production, ala 69 and 70 Boss 429 Production.

It's fun to dream. I can't wait to see what we get in the next few years.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The 6.2L heads supposedly flow pretty well in SOHC form. A good massage, from what I hear, and they flow nasty style.

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
The Cyclone engine family was designed to be able to be safely opened up to 4.0L.

Why design a new 4.0L (V8) when they have an engine of that displacement much closer within reach in both design and r&d-wise, sound?

Such an engine would be a welcome sight to not only GT500 but top trim LMC offerings as well.

Saying things like, 'no one will buy it, it's just a V6", "sound > power", "but... muh V8!", hasn't stopped buyers of EB F-150's reaching 66%+ take rate. That's another group of buyers that "everyone" was sure that there would be serious pushback with TTV6's taking the place traditionally held by V8's, top of the food chain that is.

They don't have to get rid of the V8, no one is saying that. There are the enthusiasts that will only buy a V8 and that's fine it'll still be there. We have to admit that the "V8 only" enthusiast is a minority of buyers. So, yes cater to them by continuing to update and upgrade V8 offerings.

But fearing the TTV6's isn't going to change the fact that a lot of people will buy them, possibly/probably more than the former and at a higher premium, and thats ultimately what auto makers are after, sales/profits.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The Cyclone engine family was designed to be able to be safely opened up to 4.0L.

Why design a new 4.0L (V8) when they have an engine of that displacement much closer within reach in both design and r&d-wise, sound?

Such an engine would be a welcome sight to not only GT500 but top trim LMC offerings as well.

Saying things like, 'no one will buy it, it's just a V6", "sound > power", "but... muh V8!", hasn't stopped buyers of EB F-150's reaching 66%+ take rate. That's another group of buyers that "everyone" was sure that there would be serious pushback with TTV6's taking the place traditionally held by V8's, top of the food chain that is.

They don't have to get rid of the V8, no one is saying that. There are the enthusiasts that will only buy a V8 and that's fine it'll still be there. We have to admit that the "V8 only" enthusiast is a minority of buyers. So, yes cater to them by continuing to update and upgrade V8 offerings.

But fearing the TTV6's isn't going to change the fact that a lot of people will buy them, possibly/probably more than the former and at a higher premium, and thats ultimately what auto makers are after, sales/profits.
A truck and THE top performing Mustang are two distinctly different categories.

Sure, a TTv6 can be made to perform well. But you'd still know that performance was left on the table. And that's not what the GT500/Cobra tier is about.

A TTV6 Cobra would sell a whole lot of SCV8 ZL1s.

Rather not see that.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Has anyone made an exhaust yet for the v6 that doesn't sound like dog shit unless its mouse quiet? Not that I know of. If they put the eco v6 in a Mustang, fine. Just don't call it a Shelby, Boss or Cobra. And don't pretend it could run with its supercharged V8 competitors without a huge weight loss.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I'd put a 700hp TTV6 350R chassis up against a ZL1 anyday. It'd each him for lunch.

We know the GT500 is not going to be a TTV6 so why does it matter?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Because there are a lot of people who won't buy a V6 "performance" vehicle. I'd rather have something that sounds really good and I enjoy more. Most of my time is on the street where a few extra HPs or lbfeet don't matter, but the sound does matter.

I won't buy a V6 halo Mustang. Maybe if I lose my job and end up poor I'd buy a V6 entry level Mustang. I don't see anything wrong with a V6 in an inexpensive vehicle. I'm just not going to buy anything expensive that has fewer than 8 cylinders.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
shoot...a high HP v6 EB would guzzle the gas. Look at the GT...mileage reaks and thats only at 650HP. In a 3800 lbs mustang id like at least 700HP.
Mileage would probably be 15 mpg, at that power level. The SC 5.2V8 at 800HP will be in the 18MPG range. Better Power, better sound, better mileage. I'd take the V8 over the v6 any day...unless its in a motorcycle or a GT.
I did just get an explorer sport, which is fun for an SUV and thank goodness I don't need to push a engine stop/start button all the time.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
shoot...a high HP v6 EB would guzzle the gas. Look at the GT...mileage reaks and thats only at 650HP. In a 3800 lbs mustang id like at least 700HP. Mileage would probably be 15 mpg, at that power level. The SC 5.2V8 at 800HP will be in the 18MPG range. Better Power, better sound, better mileage.

That's not the engine's fault, many more factors that go into fuel mileage. Look at the Viper; huge V10 and can tickle 30mpg on the highway.