Sponsored

Trending on /r/cars: 2019 Shelby GT500 to receive Ford's new N/A 7.0L V8 w/ DI

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Personally I think anyone thinking a 7L will see it into the mustang is laughable at best... in this day in age with all the downsizing the idea is ridiculous.... The 7L will see superduty treatment only just like the age old 6.2 only say superduty and raptor duty
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Personally I think anyone thinking a 7L will see it into the mustang is laughable at best... in this day in age with all the downsizing the idea is ridiculous.... The 7L will see superduty treatment only just like the age old 6.2 only say superduty and raptor duty
I can't agree... just after Obama signed a strict CAFE, GM put a 7L in the 14 Z/28.

I'm trying to keep everyone's feet on the ground. I could easily make some mean jokes about the wild fantasies going on in this thread but I'd rather point out the issues with people's guesses with specific points than do that.
Agreed. Everyone here is their own best powertrain engineer, including me. It's good to keep things real. I can, however, refer to history and see how Ford extracted a tremendous amount of power from a 427 SOHC in the 60's and have hope.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I can't agree... just after Obama signed a strict CAFE, GM put a 7L in the 14 Z/28.

....and they sold like four of them. :lol:

Not to mention, they were leftover engines.

Agreed. Everyone here is their own best powertrain engineer, including me. It's good to keep things real. I can, however, refer to history and see how Ford extracted a tremendous amount of power from a 427 SOHC in the 60's and have hope.

Yeah back in the day there wasn't too much holding them back. Making power is easy, super easy in fact. The hard part is doing more with less. Less fuel, less emissions, less maintenance, fewer breakdowns, so on.

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
The biggest problem for a 7.0L SOHC or DOHC V8 going in a Mustang would be the packaging. As previously said, it would just be too large to fit in the engine compartment to fit IMO. It's just far easier to slap a supercharger on a coyote, put in forged internals, GT350 heads and spend the rest of your time and money on the transmission calibrations, traction control management, suspension tuning etc.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette

Yeah, but didn't they have a large amount of time to hit that Café Deadline? I'm not sure, but I'm sure it was supposed to be met by 2019 or 2020 wasn't it?

Regardless, All of Ford's Current Top Tier Line Up all have Turbo V6 engines.
Taurus SHO- TT V6
F-150- HO TT V6
Expedition/ Navigator( O.G of the 4.6 and 5.4 DOHC) reduced to the TTV6
Explorer- TTV6
Continental- TTV6
For Christ Sake People the Ford GT ... Ford's greatest Historical car far past the Mustang which had a 427 in it's defining Le Mans moment... was brought down to a TTV6...

You can't honestly expect me to believe Ford is going to have a change of heart now of all times.. and drop in a DOHC 7L V8 (which is clearly an updated engine for the F-250/SuperDuty series truck) in the GT500. We haven't been able to opt into a 6.2L V8 F150 for three years now... Motors of that size using history alone has shown that they have moved motors of that size STRICTLY for work class trucks only(even though some still use them to show off.

I could see the following... a TT5.0 a ,TT5.2 CPC, a TT 4.8/4.4 V8, and Ford's Favorite 3.5 TT V6 being the GT500 mill, but a 7L NA V8... Nope... Nah.... Not even in the slightest.

Sponsored

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
^^^^ I think we all get that. I just think it would really be cool to have a modern all motor big block in a modern take on the muscle car. Make no mistake I'm not holding my breath. I do like to dream big however.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not ruling it out. No one saw the FPC coming out either...

A low volume 6.2L bored/stroked out to 7L seems doable for the run TopNotch eluded to earlier. The F150 will provide the block, and the Niche plant could provide specialIzed treatment.

To say no is limiting your horizons...

And to hear some tell it, it would be easier getting the 6.2L/7.0L in the S550 chassis more so than a 5.0TT.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
:)

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Look I'm just saying I'm highly skeptical the replacement motor for the Triton V10 would be placed into the F-150... If it doesn't make the F-150 ... odds are against us...

Me bringing in a TT 5.0 to the argument is just how much I don't believe the 7L V8 would happen. Factor in a Hybrid 4 banger to be released with the new car and I really can't see it happening.

I'm not limiting my Horizons, but just merely looking at the cards placed in front of me..

You all said Ford Loves surprises.... Sure would Surprise a lot of people with the GT500 being a V6TT putting out 700hp.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Look I'm just saying I'm highly skeptical the replacement motor for the Triton V10 would be placed into the F-150... If it doesn't make the F-150 ... odds are against us...

Me bringing in a TT 5.0 to the argument is just how much I don't believe the 7L V8 would happen. Factor in a Hybrid 4 banger to be released with the new car and I really can't see it happening.

I'm not limiting my Horizons, but just merely looking at the cards placed in front of me..

You all said Ford Loves surprises.... Sure would Surprise a lot of people with the GT500 being a V6TT putting out 700hp.
I don't see any of the options you just listed being in this car.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed... I think it's safe to say the GT500 is a blown V8, but what matter of supercharged induction is the story at hand.

As for the possibility of a Boss 429 or big-block Mach 1, I wonder...

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Thank God we can rule-out the V6TT, though that engine performs extremely well in the GT, I fear that power-plant would not sit well with long-time, diehard Mustang enthusiastis.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
LMAO IJS... The 7L DOHC by far is the most Suspect of it all... Hence, why I threw out other engine choices over the 7L. I threw out the 3.5 Ecoboost as the past few decades we have gotten the top tier Lincoln motor for the best Mustang.

99 Cobra R - Navigator 5.4 4v
03 SVT cobra- Lincoln Mark
07- GT500 was still using the Navi Motor.

Had Ford put the 6.2L Hurricane in the Boss or GT500 in the S197 platform maybe I would be more likely to entertain the theory of a 7L to myself.

I personally don't care what the engine choice is as long as it isn't a 4 cylinder or electric

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
429 would be more than OK with me. especially with a 8000RPM redline.
Sponsored