Sponsored

Traded my V6 for GT

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
Today is a day I thought would never happen, I traded my V6 for a GT! Long read, but I think may help with those looking still at the V6(EB) vs GT

V6:
I was one of the first to have an S550 in my state, and I am almost certain the first V6 in the state. I had to buy it out of state, as none were to be found. I bought it in February 2015 for 19.5k near Seattle and drove 500 miles back home. I still remember that epic drive home!

The V6 had 22000 miles today when I handed over the keys. My V6 was more of a 'drivers car' than 90% of the GTs on the road: i constantly went on drives up in the mountain highways on my lunch breaks and even 2 years later, I still went on joy rides and have yet to take it to a car wash. I thoroughly got every cent worth from that car and will continue to represent the value of the V6 s550 has to offer on the forum!

Why Now:
I think the s550 will be timeless as future gens rollout. Again, buying I had a strict budget I know the refresh gen will not fall into. I could wait 5 months to get a trade-in GT for a couple thousand less than I spent today, but I have enough experience to know I will have this GT for years or decades and will not matter in the long run.
The S550 is not without fault though. There are some annoyances that still bother me. For example, i am about as average as can be, 5'11 and regardless of seat adjustment, my elbow rests on hard plastic on center console. Arm rest is too far back, it seems I should be be close to middle, yet it is completely in front right on hard plastic. Left arm rests on hard plastic up near window glass. There are other annoyances...

I can ignore all the car's quirks, but it had one inexcusable flaw, the MT82 and shifter. I don't think I need to cover the specifics here as it is all documented fully on this forum. I do think the less powered V6 and EB accentuates these issues and for my S550, these issues weren't acceptable. I did test drive a few manual GTs and the power did seem to help. I was willing to take thousands of a hit just to get an auto, even considered a trans swap. This argument isn't manual vs auto, but rather one of the better transmissions Ford has made vs one of the poorest(relative) transmission they've made.

The GT:
Like I said I wasnt necessarily looking to upgrade to a V8, but rather to get an auto. However, I couldn't justify spending more and not upgrading. The 3.7 was fantastic, but now with 100 miles today on the 5.0, now I get it. This is a Mustang. I picked it up for 26.9k locally with RR with ceramic cloth, 17k miles, Ford's Certified warranty, and got 15.7 value from my v6. 4k devalue... not bad.

I can't wait to get some more time in the GT and scared that I'm going to forget just for a second I'm not in my V6 as I drove it at almost 100% most of the time.

The V6 is a great value, especially at its price point and very fun to drive with great standard features. I am not saying anything new here; if you can afford a GT it definetely worth the price difference, but don't forget these are toys and no need to sign over your first born to have a great driving experience from an auto 4 or 6.

Old

New!

Sponsored

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Hope you enjoy the new car as much as the old one. And you should have kept your wheels.:D

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Congrats. Now throw on some nice exhausts and let the V8 sing.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Congrats. I would have had them swap the wheels over in the trade.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 2016 Mustang GT. I've never had an issue with my transmission or shift. I know it's well documented but it doesn't effect every Mustang.

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
I have a 2016 Mustang GT. I've never had an issue with my transmission or shift. I know it's well documented but it doesn't effect every Mustang.
I've got a '16 GT as well. I don't understand any of the issues people seem to have with the shifter or tranny.

I guess I have the only good one. :D

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Congrats on the gt.
The first few thousand miles the trans would be hard to shift sometimes, but after 12k no issues. Guess it had to break in.

Bill-O

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Ruby Red Premium
A great looking GT....enjoy....and yes, I agree with the others, the black wheels would look killer.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Nice trade, definitely should have kept the wheels though.

I look every once in a while but even used 15 GT's with 40-50k are still mid 30's where I am.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
That is probably just a picture of the new car before the swap. The dealer changed wheels for me when I traded my car in

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That is probably just a picture of the new car before the swap. The dealer changed wheels for me when I traded my car in
Well that's good. It'd be a shame to just let em go.
Sponsored