Sponsored

Track video of my best lap at TWS (first time at track)

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I attended the TrackGuys event at TWS this past weekend. I had never been to the track since moving here last May.

I love the track. It was awesome. I know I have a lot to learn still and I left a lot on the track as far as time, but I'm happy with the 2:10 and was able to bring the car home in one piece. I also got signed off to go solo in the afternoon on the 2nd day (last 2 sessions). This run is my best solo run.

Just figured I'd post it up.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's about what I'm getting for lap times too. What run group were you in?

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Nice! I would have liked to listen to your engine and shifting rather than the music.
A reving engine is music to my ears!

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
That's about what I'm getting for lap times too. What run group were you in?
I was in group 3 which is novice. This was the first time there.

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Nice! I would have liked to listen to your engine and shifting rather than the music.
A reving engine is music to my ears!
No external mic so wind noise dominated the video hence the music.

Sponsored

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
man take that music off lol I wanna hear the coyote

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

LSU Mech Eng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Great job Rehab! Smooth hands and lines there. You gave up a lot of track on the exit of Turns 1& 2 so you've got plenty more time you can gain there leading into the right hander at 3. Hope you keep going out and having fun!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
How do I get my engine to sound like Van Halen????

Nice driving. Man, that track has some icky surface in some braking zones!

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Thanks all. I definitely left a lot of time out there by wimpng out in a few turns (1-2, 5-6, 7-8). I could have downshifted earlier into 1 instead of before 3, could have shifted into 3rd going into the carousel.

I wasn't hammering throttle and thus not hammering brakes where I needed to be.

For a first time out there, and only my 5th session at speed, I will take it.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I spent Saturday learning the track (new to TWS) and trying out a bunch of different lines/approaches/braking zones and found that TWS favors very little brake use and tons of patience or balls of steel, whatever you want to call it, lol.

My best times were running off the 130mph front straight and just letting off on the 2nd brake marker and coming down from a high line just past the fence and letting it ride until I brake just before the yellow box and turn in right before running off the track (right rear wheel rolling over the box). I picked up gobs of time there.

A few other places was similar in that I had to force myself to just let off rather than brake (5, 7, 12?)

I have my braking plots from the first laps on Saturday to my one and only session on Sunday AM (6 seconds faster) and the difference in the amount of brake use is astonishing.

I tend to really attack tracks and it generally leads to me overdriving the track. I have much to learn in just relaxing and going fast!

2:10 is a great time for a first time at that track and for many the first track event of the year.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Wow I wish i knew some of you were there, would love to meet others on this forum.

I drove all the way from SC to visit my brother and we both ran at the event. I have never attended an HPDE type event; this was my first so I was in Group 1. I had a great instructor - he was the guy with the police car Foxbody and a couple others. I didn't know what to expect with an Ecoboost but being a first time beginner with an Ecoboost on stock all season tires, I started Saturday running 2:45s or so and worked down to 2:30 last session Saturday, then consistent 2:22s on Sunday but could not get into the 2:teens. I eventually could get up to 120mph or so on the straight, but that's all she had before I had to let off and approach turn one. I agree with a lot of what higdominator noted; I did better going smooth and not braking hard, using the yellow box as the approach marker for turn 1. i got a whole lot better at all the turns with each session, but never was able to consistently negotiate the carousel correctly. I nailed it perfect a few times but then every time screwed it up the very next lap. I also learned to pick up some time by taking a line that converted turns 5 and 6 into one big turn instead of two turns; a trick my instructor showed me. Made a huge difference there and a whole lot smoother.

I enjoyed the video and was interested in seeing the similarities in your GT gear choices and lines to my best times. Being a beginner I got my best times staying in 4th gear for most of the track, but downshifting to 3rd in the carousel and also through Larry Curly Moe before the starightaway. Otherwise I mostly stayed in 4th; the Ecoboost had a surprising amount of low end grunt. I got my best straightaway times winding out 4th gear as far as possible and not shifting to 5th until the finish line or so. You upshifted there much earlier than I could.

I'm hooked. I had a great time! I think Track Guys are going to Sebring this summer and I am very seriously considering doing it again.

Last edited:

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Wow, what a drive! Track Guys will be at Sebring after Topeka IIRC. Great groups of folks (maybe I'm biased...but they really are!)

If you make it out this way again post up and be sure to say Hi!

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I attended the TrackGuys event at TWS this past weekend. I had never been to the track since moving here last May.

I love the track. It was awesome. I know I have a lot to learn still and I left a lot on the track as far as time, but I'm happy with the 2:10 and was able to bring the car home in one piece. I also got signed off to go solo in the afternoon on the 2nd day (last 2 sessions). This run is my best solo run.

Just figured I'd post it up.

Hey Ken. I'm Rob, we chatted a few times. Was a great track day. The guy I was with also clicked off a 2:10.

I also loved TWS, will try go back again this year.
Sponsored

Last edited: