Sponsored

Track pads to get back into trackdays (HPDE)

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Hi all,

I have a 2017 Ecoboost with 4 pot calipers (and the inverted rotor design that can't be cooled properly)

Since 2020 I took a break from track driving and want to get back into it. Before I just used my stock pads which glazed the rotors pretty bad and weren't up to the task anymore. I still used them on the street and now pads + rotors + tires really need to be replaced.

I thought about upgrading to 6 pot calipers a while back but for now I just want some pads for my 4 pot calipers to get back into it.

I live in Europe so my supply of parts is limited. I can source the following locally:
1. EBC Yellowstuff (nothing higher than this, no blue or dedicated track pads) (cheap)
2. DBA extreme performance pads, they claim a max temp of 550℃ (1022℉) (inexpensive)
3. Hawk pads up until DTC-70 (expensive)
4. Custom made Carbotech pads, anything in their range. (Atleast double the price of previous options)

The tracks I drive on are Spa Francorchamps, Zolder, Nurburgring, Zandvoort and some less known tracks like circuit clastres & abbeville.
I use regular street tires like the stock Pirelli or might upgrade to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. No dedicated track tires.

I don't use my Mustang as a daily driver, I would like to be able to use the pads on the street (don't care about noise or dust, but I DO care about the black finish)

At the moment I just really want to get back at it and I'm leaning towards the DBA extreme. Would this be enough if the claimed max temp can be achieved?
Anyone have experience with one of the named pads or some others I could look at getting from the US? Ideally I'd like to get what is available locally.

The best choice would obviously be the Carbotech pads along with their street compound for the street, but with the estimate I got I could buy 2-3 sets of the other pads...

However, the Carbotech salesman said that I could probably get away with only upgrading the fronts to XP8 compound and leaving the rears stock. Anyone have experience with these? Looks a little bit too weak for a 3500lbs+ car. But than again my car is not as heavy as the GT and I'm still a beginner.

Bonus clip of my last track day (the day I outperformed the stock pads)
Maybe this gives some insight on what pads I should use based on my experience level.

Thanks,
Walt
Sponsored

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I have a 2017 Ecoboost with 4 pot calipers (and the inverted rotor design that can't be cooled properly)

Since 2020 I took a break from track driving and want to get back into it. Before I just used my stock pads which glazed the rotors pretty bad and weren't up to the task anymore. I still used them on the street and now pads + rotors + tires really need to be replaced.

I thought about upgrading to 6 pot calipers a while back but for now I just want some pads for my 4 pot calipers to get back into it.

I live in Europe so my supply of parts is limited. I can source the following locally:
1. EBC Yellowstuff (nothing higher than this, no blue or dedicated track pads) (cheap)
2. DBA extreme performance pads, they claim a max temp of 550℃ (1022℉) (inexpensive)
3. Hawk pads up until DTC-70 (expensive)
4. Custom made Carbotech pads, anything in their range. (Atleast double the price of previous options)

The tracks I drive on are Spa Francorchamps, Zolder, Nurburgring, Zandvoort and some less known tracks like circuit clastres & abbeville.
I use regular street tires like the stock Pirelli or might upgrade to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. No dedicated track tires.

I don't use my Mustang as a daily driver, I would like to be able to use the pads on the street (don't care about noise or dust, but I DO care about the black finish)

At the moment I just really want to get back at it and I'm leaning towards the DBA extreme. Would this be enough if the claimed max temp can be achieved?
Anyone have experience with one of the named pads or some others I could look at getting from the US? Ideally I'd like to get what is available locally.

The best choice would obviously be the Carbotech pads along with their street compound for the street, but with the estimate I got I could buy 2-3 sets of the other pads...

However, the Carbotech salesman said that I could probably get away with only upgrading the fronts to XP8 compound and leaving the rears stock. Anyone have experience with these? Looks a little bit too weak for a 3500lbs+ car. But than again my car is not as heavy as the GT and I'm still a beginner.

Bonus clip of my last track day (the day I outperformed the stock pads)
Maybe this gives some insight on what pads I should use based on my experience level.

Thanks,
Walt
Hey Walt I recently ordered new front PP calipers from RockAuto they come reasonably quick and were like 500$ or so. I'm not sure what else is needed for a PP1 brakes upgrade on the front but I strongly suggest you go ahead and do it you might actually find the same parts in your local ford dealer. Overall the 4 pot brakes are holpless regarding brake pads just get ether GLoc R12/R10 or R16/R10 and call it a day they are reasonably good on the street as well I currently street drive R12/R8 brake pads.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have run 4pot brakes on track with stock pads, and they glazed by the end of the day.

My current car came with 6 pot calipers and I switched out rotors and pads for track days, then back to Z23 pads and rotors for street.

I am now on GT350 brakes for my GT but that is mainly for longevity and easier service, not for performance.

Your 4pot brakes are more than adequate for track days if you use track pads. The inverted rotors is not so good though.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to save money. If it was me, I'd get track pads front and rear for the 4pot. Then keep my eyes open for a used set of 6pot brakes, and mainly for the rotors. Then you can sell the 4pot calipers and rotors to get a little money back.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Hey Walt I recently ordered new front PP calipers from RockAuto they come reasonably quick and were like 500$ or so. I'm not sure what else is needed for a PP1 brakes upgrade on the front but I strongly suggest you go ahead and do it you might actually find the same parts in your local ford dealer. Overall the 4 pot brakes are holpless regarding brake pads just get ether GLoc R12/R10 or R16/R10 and call it a day they are reasonably good on the street as well I currently street drive R12/R8 brake pads.
Hey, yeah that was my plan a few years ago as well before I took a break. The problem is that by law here we're not allowed to change the calipers, even if they are better than the original set. It would be a serious hassle to swap them every year for the technical inspection.

Although honestly I doubt they will notice the difference since the 6 pot brembo calipers do look stock and might even carry a Ford number. I might be able to convince them it's stock. But hey that's what I thought about my exhaust as well and guess what I'm swapping every year 🙃

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I have run 4pot brakes on track with stock pads, and they glazed by the end of the day.

My current car came with 6 pot calipers and I switched out rotors and pads for track days, then back to Z23 pads and rotors for street.

I am now on GT350 brakes for my GT but that is mainly for longevity and easier service, not for performance.

Your 4pot brakes are more than adequate for track days if you use track pads. The inverted rotors is not so good though.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to save money. If it was me, I'd get track pads front and rear for the 4pot. Then keep my eyes open for a used set of 6pot brakes, and mainly for the rotors. Then you can sell the 4pot calipers and rotors to get a little money back.
I might just try the 4 pot calipers with track pads like you said, and if I outgrow those I'll take my chances with the 6 pot calipers. I doubt that I'll be able to sell the 4 pot calipers though as these cars are rare where I live and they all come with the performance pack from the factory, base versions aren't available so honeslty don't know who's going to buy them.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I've been wondering if a set of 2-piece rotors from steeda (or similar) could solve majority of the 4 pot overheat issues, combined with brake cooling from pp1? Those shouldn't have inverted rotor issues and reduced weight is always a good thing. Thoughts?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
You Euro folks with your super cool tracks. And you just go out there zip around nobody giving point byes, no flag stations just flying by and the track looks lovely! I'm starting to think I need to just fly over there and rent a Mustang and hit the tracks (if it's allowed by law, so many laws there). ;-O

Brakes the Hawks of if you can get G-locs both really good.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
You Euro folks with your super cool tracks. And you just go out there zip around nobody giving point byes, no flag stations just flying by and the track looks lovely! I'm starting to think I need to just fly over there and rent a Mustang and hit the tracks (if it's allowed by law, so many laws there). ;-O

Yeah, I would love to drive Zandvoort and Spa!

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I've been wondering if a set of 2-piece rotors from steeda (or similar) could solve majority of the 4 pot overheat issues, combined with brake cooling from pp1? Those shouldn't have inverted rotor issues and reduced weight is always a good thing. Thoughts?
I think it should solve the issue because you can then properly cool down the brakes. The thing is, those cost as much or more than an upgrade to the 6 pot calipers so it makes very little sense to do in my opinion.

Reactions: GTP

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I think it should solve the issue because you can then properly cool down the brakes. The thing is, those cost as much or more than an upgrade to the 6 pot calipers so it makes very little sense to do in my opinion.
I have pp1 with brembo brakes and I am upgrading to 2-piece girodisc rotors for the upcoming season. They are expensive, but I like the idea of dropping unsprung rotating mass while getting better cooling efficiency. I also like the looks of them very much.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT

Yes it's definitely amazing living 2-3 hours away of Spa, Zandvoort and the Nürburgring. If it weren't so darn expensive I would be driving there every weekend! The law makers here don't like modified cars though so as a car guy it can be hard to make things work sometimes. I'm jealous that you're able to install about anything you'd like on your car and it's even possible to build and register your own car!

We do have some flag stations, mostly for yellow flags in case of an accident and blue flags to warn you of a faster driver. On Spa most of the signaling is done with screens next to the track these days. The track has complete camera coverage. But you are correct no need to give point byes just give the faster car enough space to keep his pace.

You will absolutely be welcome to come drive here, although I doubt you'll find a Mustang to rent, you'd have no trouble renting a BMW or Porsche for track duty!

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I have pp1 with brembo brakes and I am upgrading to 2-piece girodisc rotors for the upcoming season. They are expensive, but I like the idea of dropping unsprung rotating mass while getting better cooling efficiency. I also like the looks of them very much.
Yes if you already have the 6 pot brembo calipers, I think it can definitely be worth it to get 2 piece rotors. The savings you get by being able to reuse the core might pay for itself in the long run.

But upgrading to a 2 piece rotor for the 4 pot calipers seems a bit like a waste if for the same money you can get the complete 6 pot upgrade.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Ford quietly fixed the inverted rotor hats on the 4 piston brakes. The later cars (2023 for sure) came with rotors with the cooling veins on the inboard side of the rotor. That's probably a cheap and effective upgrade.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Yes it's definitely amazing living 2-3 hours away of Spa, Zandvoort and the Nürburgring. If it weren't so darn expensive I would be driving there every weekend! The law makers here don't like modified cars though so as a car guy it can be hard to make things work sometimes. I'm jealous that you're able to install about anything you'd like on your car and it's even possible to build and register your own car!

We do have some flag stations, mostly for yellow flags in case of an accident and blue flags to warn you of a faster driver. On Spa most of the signaling is done with screens next to the track these days. The track has complete camera coverage. But you are correct no need to give point byes just give the faster car enough space to keep his pace.

You will absolutely be welcome to come drive here, although I doubt you'll find a Mustang to rent, you'd have no trouble renting a BMW or Porsche for track duty!
and you have the chocolate to boot! LOL Well about the installing anything, talk to the Cali folks they have problems even with stock exhaust, it's very nanny state level. But my state we don't even have state inspection! You can roll with about anything installed or no fenders even. I do get it about laws in Europe, I worked for a German based Pharma company (contract in US) and the car guys I chatted with told me it's tough to modify any car.

After watching, btw I watched your whole video and seeing how the drivers there handle the tracks I have to say, (might be an unpopular opinion) that folks there seem to be more "adult" about their track driving than here.

For the track maybe rent a M8? hahaha

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
HeelToeHero beat me to it. 👍

The 2022 and 2023 base GTs have 4-pot brakes that use rotors with conventional cooling from the hub side. It might include late 2021 model year production as well. If these rotors are compatible with your hubs and calipers, maybe that's a cost effective option. You can also get the PP belly pan and Vorshlag deflectors to channel air to the hub side for proper cooling. With track-capable pads and fluid, I would think this setup should satisfy most folks.

This is my plan.
Sponsored