Track Mode and a Newer Track Driver

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
No computer is going to completely prevent you from making a mistake. You can still easily overdrive a corner and not be able to make the turn. In sport mode the car still moves around a lot and you can still feel it starting to lose grip without the nannies doing anything.

They told us to leave the cars in third, which means I was hammering the red line for more than a second on a couple of the straights. I think if they wanted to save the car they wouldn't have said anything and most people would have shifted to avoid sitting on the red line. I was impressed that you could absolutely hang the car on the red line multiple times every lap over and over. The car took it no problem.
the voodoo can hold 8250rpm up to 8 seconds per Ford
Sponsored

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have only done 2 track days in my GT350 (but had done ~6 prior). I used sport mode the first session, and track mode following that. I was driving ~8-9/10s, so I didn't feel intervention from either mode and think I could have probably just left it in sport.

Not sure how to embed the video below: can anyone help?

https://youtube.com/HOVqfmVKE1I

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
No computer is going to completely prevent you from making a mistake. You can still easily overdrive a corner and not be able to make the turn. In sport mode the car still moves around a lot and you can still feel it starting to lose grip without the nannies doing anything.

They told us to leave the cars in third, which means I was hammering the red line for more than a second on a couple of the straights. I think if they wanted to save the car they wouldn't have said anything and most people would have shifted to avoid sitting on the red line. I was impressed that you could absolutely hang the car on the red line multiple times every lap over and over. The car took it no problem.
Hold up, they told you to leave the car in third gear for the entire track? That is kinda lame, especially if there are instances where 2nd or 4th would apply (not familiar with track layout/cornering speeds).

I wouldn't be that excited for on track driving if you just leave it one gear for the entire lap.. may as well be an automatic then lol

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Hold up, they told you to leave the car in third gear for the entire track? That is kinda lame, especially if there are instances where 2nd or 4th would apply (not familiar with track layout/cornering speeds).

I wouldn't be that excited for on track driving if you just leave it one gear for the entire lap.. may as well be an automatic then lol
They do it so that the student can concentrate on driving and not have to worry about changing gears. Obviously using a more appropriate gear will yield faster times but this course is all about instruction. My first HPDE ever at a new track I keep it conservative until I have learned the tack. For example, my first day ever at NCM with a 15 GT PP I drove in 3rd gear only and it was more than adequate for learning purposes.

ElAntonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (Grabber Blue, Electronics)
When I did the Boss they had us do 3/4 with a heel-toe downshift off the front straight. Seeing how much more headroom the GT350 has in 3rd, I imagine unless you're pretty good already (in which case, knowing the instructors they won't have an issue with you shifting) you won't need 4th.

I'll find out in a couple of weeks :p

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
the voodoo can hold 8250rpm up to 8 seconds per Ford
I hadn't heard that before. I trust what you say but would you have a source on that?
Thanks!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah there was some debate about the nannies I suspect they kick in a lot sooner then people think they are just less intrusive.

The car has a track mode for a reason. Why not use rain mode then?
I use the heck out of weather mode. :) It works great, especially in low temperatures (below freezing) with low traction conditions. I don't really drive the car when it's excessively icy, but weather mode does help me be able to get on the throttle a lot more in poor weather. I could just drive more conservatively instead, but I've found that weather mode allows me to drive significantly more quickly in poor conditions. I like driving fast, so I use the aids in order to drive faster.

Go to the GT350 track attack. You will love it. Then come back and say what you think after you've tried it. Feel free to shift more if you aren't enjoying yourself enough with fewer shifts.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In my class, they left it to us about shifting out of third...The GT350 went faster on the straights in fourth so fourth it was :thumbsup:
Are you sure? The instructors told us most people are faster around the track if they don't shift into 4th. Did you time your laps both ways and factor out your growing familiarity with the track as the day went on? Slight sarcasm there, but you understand I don't believe you really know what you think you know.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Is that running at 8250? or bouncing of the limiter?
Once I get home I'll pull up the reference and attach it here. This limiter allows you to run from 6250 RPM up to 8250 RPM for Max of 8 Seconds. If you exceed that limitation the engine is restricted to 7000 RPM for 15 seconds or dropping below 5000 RPM. I do not believe that they meant bouncing off redline rpm.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Are you sure? The instructors told us most people are faster around the track if they don't shift into 4th. Did you time your laps both ways and factor out your growing familiarity with the track as the day went on? Slight sarcasm there, but you understand I don't believe you really know what you think you know.
Not to digress too much, but I was at redline near the apex of turn 4 in 3rd gear and there is a lot of straight left before turn 5. Only place I upshifted to fourth. I can't imagine that driving the rest of the straight between turn 4 and 5 in 3rd gear would be faster. Note that during my hot lap with the instructor, he short shifted before turn 4 into fourth gear since you can go full throttle through turn 4.

I also went to second a few times at turn 5, but found 3rd gear to be good enough coming out of there. We actually had a guest driver in a regular GT lose some oil at turn 5 - not sure if it was a missed downshift or a line coming off, but I think he was glad he had the insurance.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
View attachment 118673
I hadn't heard that before. I trust what you say but would you have a source on that?
Thanks!
[MENTION=24742]firestarter2[/MENTION] [MENTION=21788]Tank[/MENTION]

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28945

According to another forum story the "overrev" feature is not on the GT350. Rather, the writers of the dealer source book were over zealous with copy/paste from the dealer source book of the GT500 which apparently had this feature. I don't know if anyone here can corroborate this.

Searched our forum and [MENTION=6571]Bossing[/MENTION] shared the text of the story.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=729277&highlight=error#post729277
9-M6G.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not to digress too much, but I was at redline near the apex of turn 4 in 3rd gear and there is a lot of straight left before turn 5. Only place I upshifted to fourth. I can't imagine that driving the rest of the straight between turn 4 and 5 in 3rd gear would be faster. Note that during my hot lap with the instructor, he short shifted before turn 4 into fourth gear since you can go full throttle through turn 4.

I also went to second a few times at turn 5, but found 3rd gear to be good enough coming out of there. We actually had a guest driver in a regular GT lose some oil at turn 5 - not sure if it was a missed downshift or a line coming off, but I think he was glad he had the insurance.
I realize there are two tracks there. Maybe you guys were on the other one. :cheers:

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
We did the east course and there was not much need for 4th gear. A few of use were at the limit of 3rd on the main stretch at 105 mph. I did notice the instructor shifted to 4th and managed 108 mph on the same portion but quickly had to go back to 3rd.
Third was fine for east course.
Sponsored