Track attack. Is the 2nd day worth it?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Except for the safety of not hiring enough (any) corner workers (which I've NEVER seen at ANY event) - it's just a question of value, as you said.

I didn't say the drivers weren't experienced but someone pays their paycheck and somewhere the decision was made to not spend on the money on (what I feel) is a very important aspect of a track event - corner workers. Also, there were only a few instructors there, so it was evident there was no real intention of "instructing". So in the end, someone designed that program....to make money. A regular HPDE, there are enough instructors to ensure you have one 100% of the time because usually, they pay their instructors by offering free or very discounted track time.

Personally, I think seat time with an instructor is SO important as a beginner to learn the basics and not build bad habits right off the bat. Sure, it's exciting to be on a cool track with a cool, real race car but to pass it off as a "school" is...not exactly true.

Edit: Just realized that OP said he wanted to get some seat time in the GT350 with an instructor - so he's referring to the first day there. I got 2 laps with an instructor in the car out of all of the sessions - just so you know what to expect (not sure if that's on par with others experiences. I'm sure they will say here). First day is the no-brainer, though - value is there, as Ford is footing the bill for that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I should add - like you said, many people have never been on a track before. These people might just want to check that box, that they've done this or that - and for that, it works.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
your points about corner workers and number of instructors are both valid. I would agree it would be cost prohibitive to have an instructor in each car like your local HPDE. It's probably why they do the lead follow, so its one instructor for every 4-5 students. However, I think if you really wanted to, you could ask to have someone ride with you and they probably would have....but not enough for everyone, if that makes sense.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I guess it would be impossible to turn a profit with such a small group of drivers. HPDE usually has what 70-80 across the groups?

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
To each his own. I had a great time and thought the folks there were good. No, unlike the name, it is NOT a racing school per se. It is vehicular familiarization with some classroom and a few demonstrations. However, I have access to all the track time I want. I do not have access to driving someone else's cars, esp cool ones. They insist you "drive it like you stole it". Was a no brainer for me twice. I'll be there with a buddy (who went with me last time) in early Aug. Thinking abt killing the week going to Vegas afterwards. Gonna be great. :cheers::headbang::ford:

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, it's worth it. Search the topic for more info.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I just finished GT350 track attack today. First time ever on a real track and I wish I had got the 2nd day.

If you can swing the $$$ do it.

Stevdug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350, 2015 Z06, 1986 SVO, 1990 ZR-1
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed really minimal instruction on day 2 but to drive a true race prep boss vs street car if you can drop the cash yes. I have been to many track events in my car and the exotics but this was totally different also thought instructors were great with novice to more experienced

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
if one can't heel/toe in this car worth a damn...will this hinder things?

*asking for a friend

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
That's one of the excersises they do - so maybe you'll pick it up :). You don't get out of 3rd for the most part. When we asked about heel toe on the actual track, they asked us not to and didn't want to instruct that.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
There's not much instruction forced upon people on day 2, however if you show initiative and ask for more personal instruction, you can get a lot more 1 on 1 time on day 2. You just need to ask!!!

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
if one can't heel/toe in this car worth a damn...will this hinder things?
That's a good question. That's not a requirement. Remember, this is not a race. There is no timing or scoring. It is a learning experience.

I could not HT at all. I had tried many times unsuccessfully and gave up. Additionally, my ankle was injured at the time. So I begged off, but they insisted I do it repeatedly. To my amazement I leaned how to do it.

The method I had been using was wrong (keep foot straight up and lean over to the throttle while on the brake...wrong). If that's all I got from the experience, it made it worth it to me. And i met a couple forum members there. That's always cool. :cheers:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
That's a good question. That's not a requirement. Remember, this is not a race. There is no timing or scoring. It is a learning experience.

I could not HT at all. I had tried many times unsuccessfully and gave up. Additionally, my ankle was injured at the time. So I begged off, but they insisted I do it repeatedly. To my amazement I leaned how to do it.

The method I had been using was wrong (keep foot straight up and lean over to the throttle while on the brake...wrong). If that's all I got from the experience, it made it worth it to me. And i met a couple forum members there. That's always cool. :cheers:
ok, just had to ask. i didn't want to be the only person there holding up the group lol. I'll be scheduling mine soon:cheers:
Sponsored