Sponsored

Torque to yield bolts

joedrt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base coupe
Are the suspension bolts in the mustang TTY?

How do you tell if they are?

I reused the suspension bolts when I installed vertical links and new shocks, also the subframe bolts were reused and I recently had a vertical link bolt to loosen and making a knocking noise.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Most of the gray-colored bolts are technically one-time-use only according to Ford. If they are torque to yield or not FOR REAL is debatable.

I have re-used my suspension bolts. I clean the bolt threads on a wheel and clean where it screws into as best as I can before re-installing using blue or lock-tite. I use a torque wrench and torque to spec. No issues.

Cleaning the bolt threads is a must.

Ford recommends new bolts for most of the suspension bolts that are gray in color so technically you're supposed to replace them.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
All the bolts I noticed they recommended replacing has thread locker applied from the factory. I figured they were recommending replacement instead of reapplying thread locker.
I just put a new drop of blue loctite and reassemble.

OP
OP

joedrt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only company I've saw that says replace the bolts is LMR. I just can't see using TTY bolts on suspension parts and not tell you to replace the bolts. Even the ford service guy I talked to said they don't normally replace them unless theyre worn. >>?

Joebroni

Frac E-Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 50th
I'm not a Ford tech, but from my experience most manufacturers recommend replacing suspension hardware each time they are removed. Probably for liability reasons because new fasteners come preloaded with new threadlocker. They can't trust that technicians will be willing to scrub off the old threads and reapply new threadlocker, or that the technicians even know how much to properly apply (there is a proper amount and application method).

I personally never clean the old bolts off and use new threadlocker, even on my own car. Most suspension bolts I touch will get torqued back on with an air impact though, so probably more torque than they call for lol.

Generally torque-to-yield fasteners are not torqued to a specific number. They are torqued in degrees and generally via multiple stages. For example, 20lb-ft and then one pass of 90 degrees and another pass of 90 degrees.

OP
OP

joedrt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good info. Thanks
Sponsored