Sponsored

The wait is over, she is here and I love her!

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
I've got the JLT oil separator on mine and I noticed that the can was half full at the first service (10,000kms/6,200 miles). I'm at 19,000kms now ready for my 2nd service and the can is about a quarter full so it seems that there's more oil blow by during the engine 'break in' which subsides as time/mileage increases.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

So I visited Bristol Street Ford Stoke-on-Trent today and met with Dominic the new service manager. He was excellent in short, apologetic and they got my car up on the ramps immediately. Though this time the car decided to be a royal pain in the backside and refused to leak, it took 30 minutes of idling and revving to get a slight weap from the cooler, but the mechanics could see signs of a leak from oil residue.

So car fully cleaned, gave me 1l of free oil to top up with and they stuck 250ml back in the car to bring up to maximum mark. Part is ordered and they will apply pressure on how urgent it is. They also replaced the puddle lamp on the spot and were also happy to let me take and do myself, but when I told them how easy it was they did it anyway and low and behold it was a 60s job. :)

They will come back to me with a time for delivery on the part and moment it arrives they will do the job again along with another free service (just more fresh oil) with me witnessing.

Both the dealership and Ford have agreed that once the car is finally fixed, I am happy and they are happy I am happy they will then discuss compensation.

So lets see they have a real opportunity to turn this around now, lets hope they do, but as it is I can drive the car, I can hoon the car, I will just keep a very close eye on the oil level and get the car on my mates ramp weekly until they get the part, but I am hoping the part will come pretty quick this time.

What I will say about Ford and the dealer ship, they are very modification friendly.

Keeping fingers crossed. :)

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Good to see them taking it seriously at last

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to see things finally moving. Amazing how once social media is involved they take things a little more seriously. As always kicking up a storm helps :)!
Good to see that the car is back, and theyre moving and stressing how urgent the new part is... granted... they should have probably done that 5 weeks ago. But thats hindsight!!!!

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had a call back with update from dealership, gaskets are ordered, with an arrival for next Tuesday and they shall re-fit them to my car that same day with me present. :)

Sponsored

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Sounds good. Fingers crossed for you mate.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good. Fingers crossed for you mate.
Yep, am fitting the PMAS tonight, gonna see what all the fuss is about on that intake. :D

Also my wheels from MRR might arrive end of next week and I am sizing up the GT 350 intake manifold, which only leaves headers which should be ready in November for me. :)

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Has Dominic replaced the old service manager??

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Dominic replaced the old service manager??
Yes, Bob retired or moved on. So far Dominic has being great, he actually calls me back which is a great start, I finally do not need to chase them.

Hopefully the leak will be 100% fixed next week, though it is now incredibly minor the car seems to be self healing, lol.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there

So yesterday I finally fitted my PMAS, yes a CAI, one of the hottest debated topics on the forums, with many claiming a CAI does nothing except massively increase IAT's. That is why sometimes it is good to just sit back and let others be the guinea pigs as out of all the intakes on the market there are some happy but other showing even a drop off in performance and no increase in power. Then came along PMAS a company who seem more focused on actual engineering and improving performance rather than aesthetics and marketing. The PMAS is the only CAI that seems to have no complaints in regard to performance, all owners have noticed improvements in acceleration and throttle response and several members have done independent before/after dyno's showing 15-20BHP peak gains with larger gains lower in the rev range and other members have shown improvements in the quarter mile of a couple of tenths and 2-3mph additional terminal speed. So it seems like we have a performer.

The downsides to the PMAS is aesthetics went right out the door, it is probably the most ugly CAI on the market and the fit and finish could also be better, but its designed to function and perform, it is not something to look pretty under your hood, yes I've being Americanised. :p

So first of all a couple of images of my install how it is now (maf behind heatshield) and I removed the OEM grommets/rubbers from original air box to better locate PMAS heatshield, they should put this in their instructions:

IMG_8100.jpg

IMG_8101.jpg

You will see I have used gold heat reflective tape to try and keep temperatures down, after a 30 minute drive I can report the intake tube, maf tube and filter are still cool to the touch, whereas rest of the engine is red hot. Though the tape on the plastic PMAS tube is peeling so that might have to come off.

I originally installed with maf sensor outside heatshield, did it make any difference changing it so it was inside the heatshield, I'd say it dropped the driving IAT by around 2c, so now only 4c above ambient temp reported, so its a very minor difference, in traffic IAT's still shoot up quickly compared to stock air box, but on the flip side they also come back down far quicker once moving.

Also I have zero issues closing the hood/bonnet, it closes with no resistance so I can only assume nothing is touching at all. :)

So what have I noticed now the car has had a few starts and runs with this intake:

1. Cold start in sport mode, throttle is too touchy, have to put it in normal mode for first 5 minutes as throttle response is razor sharp, once warm sport is fine and smooth, not really an issue, just an observation.

2. The cars exhaust note is slightly deeper, a real traditional V8 throbbing now. Go full throttle and the car is vastly louder, the engine really roars, with windows up in the 2000-3500rpm I'd say it is actually too loud as it is really deep tone, with the windows slightly down it sounds pretty awesome. At cruise it sounds no different than stock, no drone, no buzz. In a perfect world I'd like a little less intake volume than I have now, I can only see this being achieved by PMAS offering a carbon fibre version of their intake tube.

3. Throttle response, now bear in mind my setup was front grill opened up, velossa big mouth, panel filter, airaid modular intake tube, so I had perfected the stock intake setup. Well there is still a further improvement in throttle response, so over a complete stock setup people would really notice this as a drastic improvement over the stock car. :)

4. Power: 1000-3000rpm the car seems to have even more torque, it will really pickup down low, I am running a JDM tune and I have the "no tune" PMAS so no tune adjustments were made, I went this way simply for ease and because JDM charge for tune updates. But the car picks up better and pulls harder for sure, not quite to the impact the original tune gave (30HP peak gain from JDM tune), but very close so there must be a good 40-50lb/ft addition low down torque now compared to stock. The car pulls hard and fast right upto the 7500rpm rev limiter, does it feel faster up top, really hard to tell, certainly does not feel slower and the acceleration even in 5th sends the speedo round quickly.

5. Dyno: Once I have a few more runs on the intake and Ford have 100% fixed my minor oil leak the car will go on the dyno to compare against its last run which was stock intake with panel filter, airaid MIT and JDM tune. So the only change is the PMAS, no tune adjustments made, so will be interested to see if there is any change from the previous dyno run. So I will hit the dyno in around a weeks time and the PMAS would of being on the car for close to 200-300 miles then so plenty of time to adapt etc.

6. Updates / Modifications: I have the GT 350 RAM air scoop on the way from JDM, this will connect the stock bumper ducting to the PMAS air box, if need be I shall open up the hole in the PMAS air box more to match the GT 350 duct if it is larger, this will case a RAM air effect and should also increase flow further. :)

Overall I am happy, dyno butt performance can feel an improvement for sure, it sounds pretty amazing, though a little to loud at full throttle with windows up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Could I be lazy and ask for a link to the product?

Ta!

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Your MAF sensor looks like it's jammed tight up against the box? I've got mine angled now so there's maybe 2 or 3mm clearance in there.

You said you were looking to mount yours so it was outside the airbox but there's just no way to do that is there? :shrug:

One thing I did with mine and you may want to check with yours as it looks like you've got those jobby clips wound right up, is slacken the ones off that clamp the plastic tube.

Obviously the ones that clamp the metal PMAS tube and the throttle body are fine, but I managed to wind the one next to the throttle body up so tight I actually crushed and deformed the plastic PMAS tube so there was a gap between the rubber tube where it was just sucking in hot engine bay air. I've corrected that now by soaking the plastic tube in boiling water and jamming a suitably-sized circular container in there and allowing it to cool back to it's original position. I'm talking about the one you can see visible just below my 5.0 badge in the pic below.

I didn't think I'd done it up THAT tight but apparently I did, so you might want to check yours.

I did also have my MAF sensor pointing downwards in the airbox & having it upwards (where it gets slightly more clearance from the box) I would say has increased the IAT by a degree.
[MENTION=15536]MrWolf[/MENTION]

Soundwise, I didn't think there was TOO much difference from stock TBH.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your MAF sensor looks like it's jammed tight up against the box? I've got mine angled now so there's maybe 2 or 3mm clearance in there.

You said you were looking to mount yours so it was outside the airbox but there's just no way to do that is there? :shrug:

One thing I did with mine and you may want to check with yours as it looks like you've got those jobby clips wound right up, is slacken the ones off that clamp the plastic tube.

Obviously the ones that clamp the metal PMAS tube and the throttle body are fine, but I managed to wind the one next to the throttle body up so tight I actually crushed and deformed the plastic PMAS tube so there was a gap between the rubber tube where it was just sucking in hot engine bay air. I've corrected that now by soaking the plastic tube in boiling water and jamming a suitably-sized circular container in there and allowing it to cool back to it's original position. I'm talking about the one you can see visible just below my 5.0 badge in the pic below.

I didn't think I'd done it up THAT tight but apparently I did, so you might want to check yours.

I did also have my MAF sensor pointing downwards in the airbox & having it upwards (where it gets slightly more clearance from the box) I would say has increased the IAT by a degree.
[MENTION=15536]MrWolf[/MENTION]

It looks tighter than it is but its a tight fit but I have managed both outside the heatshield and within it as you see now. I am gonna keep an eye on it as should not be rubbing, but shall probably re-position as yours.

Yes I've got them on tight on the metal parts as tight as they will go with a screw driver. On the plastic parts they are still tight but not as tight as they will go with a screw driver so hopefully all is fine, but I will double check so thanks for that. But this is why I use a screw driver and not a socket on these clamps to try and prevent over-tightening as using a socket/wrench it is so easy to overtighten as you have so much leverage force.

I did check the filter side of the plastic tube by removing the maf tube and looking inside the plastic tube, nothing look deformed and the seal was tight. I shall remove from throttle body and take a look inside to make sure that end is deform free and sealed also. :)

Will double check everything later, but overall I am happy with it, though it is bloody LOUD, lol.

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Excuse my ignorance but is the exhaust noise louder because the incoming air is now more cold/ dense so makes a bigger bang?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excuse my ignorance but is the exhaust noise louder because the incoming air is now more cold/ dense so makes a bigger bang?

I am guessing exhaust noise is louder because of:

- More flow and flow characteristics changed
- Removal of hermoltz resonators from intake (probably more intake noise change)
- Air tube is far larger.

The intake does not change air temperature or make air denser, it just changes flow characteristics and the CAI has no hermoltz sound resonators to keep noise down.
Sponsored