Sponsored

The new GT500 will have some serious competition...

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I love the look of the 350R and pretty much any modded S550. If they put the same car(GT350R) out there with 750-800HP I'm pretty sure Ford folks like us would be all over it like stink on you know what for 80K...wouldn't even care if it wasn't quite as good in the corners as a 1LE Camaro or Vette because it would be far enough ahead to keep a safe distance:)
That's probably true. I am thinking they are taking a different route though, maybe engineering AWD or some active aero or something. Otherwise I don't see why it's taking so long to get a car out or even confirmed. It wouldn't suddenly take a bunch of extra time to develop a high horsepower car using an existing chassis (obviously it would need to be upgraded some to handle the power.).
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
People keep assuming that just because GM and dodge are making camaro and challenger improvements that ford will with the mustang. The way Ford sees it is as long as sales are strong for the GT and eco boost they will keep dragging their feet.

FORD PERFORMANCE? What's that?
Oh it's a hybrid mustang!
LOL
I hope not Scott. I hope they build a new GT500 and it looks killer, got gobs of power/torque and great performance. (My wallet's going to hate me if that happens. LOL :D)

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Maybe Ford is evaluating more than one engine for the next ultra performance Mustang and does not want to say anything until they have decided what engine is best suited to meet their goals.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Maybe Ford is evaluating more than one engine for the next ultra performance Mustang and does not want to say anything until they have decided what engine is best suited to meet their goals.
That's possible, seems like that'd be a poor use of R&D money to have built and tested multiple engines and not know yet. That would make the SE mustang seem even further away if they haven't even decided their engine.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Received the APR/2017 issue of Car and Driver yesterday with the cover story tease of ....
25 Cars Worth Waiting For.

The article suggests that the GT500 will arrive later this year powered by the CPC
5.2L.
The minimum starting price is expected to be at least $65,000.
There is rendering of the car features a larger lower grill/intake, revised fog light area, black wheels, wide rear rubber and what appears to be a one-piece rear deck spoiler.

I'm not tech-savvy enough to post a link to this issue or article, so could someone please make it available here for all to read.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Digital copies aren't usually available online for a while (unless you're a subscriber, which I'm not).

How about just taking a photo of the article/rendering? If you have trouble posting the photo, PM me and I'll give you my email address, then I can do it :)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Received the APR/2017 issue of Car and Driver yesterday with the cover story tease of ....

The article suggests that the GT500 will arrive later this year powered by the CPC
5.2L.
There is rendering of the car features a larger lower grill/intake, revised fog light area, black wheels, wide rear rubber and what appears to be a one-piece rear deck spoiler.

I'm not tech-savvy enough to post a link to this issue or article, so could someone please make it available here for all to read.
Thanks.
Any other cool cars? How about a pic of the cover too. Makes me wanna make a run to barns and noble

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
This is some good news, usually they don't blow smoke.
Thanks for the pic TT

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Could possibly still be named a GT500, even though we have heard conflicting info from insiders here, we'll see.
It's on the list of what to wait for....sounds promising.
The ZR1 looks to be a juggernaut.

Sponsored

Rlhay2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper

5.2L.

Thanks.
Just read the same article. This is the 2nd time I have read that the 2.65L TVS will be paired to a CPC 5.2L engine. I find this interesting!

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
So the GT500 will be a 2018 model ? Wont be coming much later than the ZL1. I certainly would not expect the price to be under 65 thousand dollars. Car and Driver may know something.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
So the GT500 will be a 2018 model ? Wont be coming much later than the ZL1. I certainly would not expect the price to be under 65 thousand dollars. Car and Driver may know something.
It says worth waiting for. Could be 2020

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Id guess late 2018 so actually Callender year 2018 which would be real close to the 19MY. My guess is it will be very limited in 2018 MY.

Fellas, I think that teaser pic of the dash at 755HP is spot on. A 2.65L TVS on a 5.2 at around 18 psi, with good breathing, would bring her in around that number. Hopefully the car is well balanced. Throwing that battery in the trunk will help offset some of that supercharger weight.
It's gonna be fun fellas.
I have little doubt it won't hand the zl1le it's ass in all aspects. Won't beat the demon on the strip but who cares. We have a very good chance on the street tho...;)

Last edited:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The article suggests that the GT500 will arrive later this year powered by the CPC 5.2L.
I underlined the key words.
"Suggests" the GT500 will arrive later this year. (So,....is it or isn't it?!?)
Price "is expected to be at least" 65k. (So,....is it or isn't it 65K??!)

Until I hear solid evidence from Ford,.....I'm not holding my breath. lol :headbonk:
Sponsored