Sponsored

The new GT500 will have some serious competition...

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
IMO think the '18 mustang GT took a step back in looks. Performance is improved, so thats good. I think I'll pass on the GT500/charger unless it is a total ass kicker and it has a more appealing look than the GT, which it should.
Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I heard from a very high profile source inside ford that the GT500 is not going to happen.
the same source that told you a 2018 GT350 wasn't going to happen? :lol:

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I just saw it appears the new Deamon is expected to shed at least 200 lbs, competition just got a little stiffer.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
200 lbs, so around 4200? I bet it doesn't come with AC, Radio, back seat, spare, trunk liner and maybe a different battery.
I'm wondering if the Gt500/Cobra will have an option to do the same. If so I'd expect a TTv8 to be about 3900 lbs, maybe 4,000 depending on auto transmission. The GT500 better have close to the same power. No doubt in my mind the gt500 will be a good track car as well as a strip monster. Looking forward to the final verdict.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I just saw it appears the new Deamon is expected to shed at least 200 lbs, competition just got a little stiffer.
Possibly. But even Dodge are saying the Demon is going to be, effectively, a one trick pony.......going in a straight line even faster than the Hellcat.

I want a GT500 (or whatever Ford Performance decide to call it) to be able to handle a road course, canyon OR 1/4 mile. I want it to be an all round performance machine. This may mean it won't be the fastest in the 1/4, or have the most HP.....but it will be the better driver's car.

That's the direction the Camaro ZL1 has taken, and I hope it's where Ford Performance are heading :)

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
200 lbs, so around 4200? I bet it doesn't come with AC, Radio, back seat, spare, trunk liner and maybe a different battery.
I'm wondering if the Gt500/Cobra will have an option to do the same. If so I'd expect a TTv8 to be about 3900 lbs, maybe 4,000 depending on auto transmission. The GT500 better have close to the same power. No doubt in my mind the gt500 will be a great track car as well as a strip monster. Looking forward to the final verdict.
Ya I'd guess 4200-4300. There were some pictures from an instagram post and it didn't look very gutted. I don't think its going to have a huge power increase, I'm thinking like 725-750. Remember dodge still uses a cast iron block for the engine and hardly any lightweight material so I'd think shedding a couple hundred pounds wouldn't be too hard. Also thinking there'll be no backseat. I agree I expect a TTv8 GT500 to be around 3900-4000 and make around the same power.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Possibly. But even Dodge are saying the Demon is going to be, effectively, a one trick pony.......going in a straight line even faster than the Hellcat.

I want a GT500 (or whatever Ford Performance decide to call it) to be able to handle a road course, canyon OR 1/4 mile. I want it to be an all round performance machine. This may mean it won't be the fastest in the 1/4, or have the most HP.....but it will be the better driver's car.

That's the direction the Camaro ZL1 has taken, and I hope it's where Ford Performance are heading :)
This is old news but for those that don't know the Hellcat ran an NHRA certified 10.8 on drag radials & something like 11.2 on street rubber in the quarter. So the Demon will in all likelihood be 11 flat or quicker in the quarter on whatever tires it comes with from the factory.

x2 on your comment about the ZL1, that car performs well in all venues of racing at least from what I have read, the next mega-horsepower Stang (GT500 or whatever name is used) "hopefully" will do the same!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
This is old news but for those that don't know the Hellcat ran an NHRA certified 10.8 on drag radials & something like 11.2 on street rubber in the quarter. So the Demon will in all likelihood be 11 flat or quicker in the quarter on whatever tires it comes with from the factory.

x2 on your comment about the ZL1, that car performs well in all venues of racing at least from what I have read, the next mega-horsepower Stang (GT500 or whatever name is used) "hopefully" will do the same!
It'll likely be much faster than 11 seconds flat. The photo on Instagram had a picture of the wheel and tire and it sure looked like a nitto drag radial! Won't turn for crap but man it will be fast in a straight line.

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
Is/was the reveal still today @ 11 am?

Sponsored

TexasQ750

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Steeda Q750 Mustang
My sources tell me it will be a 2.9 Whipple, not TVS on the next GT500.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
It'll likely be much faster than 11 seconds flat. The photo on Instagram had a picture of the wheel and tire and it sure looked like a nitto drag radial! Won't turn for crap but man it will be fast in a straight line.
Agreed!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Yes, 11am MST. So in about 20 minutes. For the SA version that is...
Yup, just as many thought a glorified supercharged 5.0 with tons of super snake badging, with I'm sure a huge price tag. I'd much rather just purchase a GT350 and supercharge or TT it.

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Yup, just as many thought a glorified supercharged 5.0 with tons of super snake badging, with I'm sure a huge price tag. I'd much rather just purchase a GT350 and supercharge or TT it.
If Ford Performance doesn't come through very soon, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Slightly used Gt350, add procharger or twins, done... R for the track, monster 350 for the street/strip...:ford:
Sponsored