Sponsored

The new GT500 will have some serious competition...

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Next time I pass a trap zone I'm gonna stop and ask the cop what the recommended 60' is...

So, lemme get this straight... a designated section of speedway with a radar gun at the end of it now requires standard measurements in 1/4-mile increments and should post a car's 60' time, right?:ninja:

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
That 10-11+ second range is for any iteration (Z06 or ZL1, auto or manual, Z06 w/ Z07, etc).

hmm.. I haven't seen much reviews or anything on the new ZL1 yet. The Z06 stage one is about 2-4 seconds faster to 150 then Z06 w/Z07. The Z07 package is very much about aero, grip and downforce. I'd agree its not the greatest car if roll racing is your thing but its car design not engine. Its like saying the gt350 engine is a disappointment because it makes no low end power.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hmm, I wonder if this is why Ford has been delaying the GT500 announcement?!?

I have even started to wonder whether there will be a GT500 in this generation of Mustang. Maybe they just wanted to wait for the competition to announce so they can one-up.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Geez.. if the Challenger hellcat is already over 70K how much will this new one be? Also sounds like AWD, i wonder if it will weigh more than my F150?
Who cares what it weighs? The Demon is being made to dominate at one thing, 1/4 drag races. I'd imagine, knowing the nuts at SRT that it will be faster than a P90D(Ludicrous mode) in the 1/4 mile. The only question is the cage requirement needed sub 11.50's.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Who cares what it weighs? The Demon is being made to dominate at one thing, 1/4 drag races. I'd imagine, knowing the nuts at SRT that it will be faster than a P90D(Ludicrous mode) in the 1/4 mile. The only question is the cage requirement needed sub 11.50's.
Exacty! Also I expect the new gt500 to be 70k+ as well. They can run lower then that, stock '08 and newer cars can run faster without cage. Older article, I do know some tracks are sticklers and go by the old rule.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weird, most of the guys who i know that drag race actually care a lot about how much their cars weigh.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Weird, most of the guys who i know that drag race actually care a lot about how much their cars weigh.
Definitely true when you start trying to get every tenth you can, but don't you think once you get up over 4500+ pounds a few extra doesn't really matter if it's all-wheel-drive with 700+ hp that can now use and maximize the power?! As everyone says it's a one trick pony but it'll just get better at that one trick

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely true when you start trying to get every tenth you can, but don't you think once you get up over 4500+ pounds a few extra doesn't really matter if it's all-wheel-drive with 700+ hp that can now use and maximize the power?! As everyone says it's a one trick pony but it'll just get better at that one trick
I can see the point, considering the car really had a lot of issues putting its existing power down the AWD is one way to help it hook, hopefully they also figure out to put a larger tire and choose something better than the pirelli pzero's.

What would be the smartest is if they could pull a couple hundred pounds out of the car to offset the increase in weight from the AWD system.

Once you get up to 80K+ i think they should be able to utilize a bit more aluminum and other lightweight materials to put it on a bit of a diet.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I can see the point, considering the car really had a lot of issues putting its existing power down the AWD is one way to help it hook, hopefully they also figure out to put a larger tire and choose something better than the pirelli pzero's.

What would be the smartest is if they could pull a couple hundred pounds out of the car to offset the increase in weight from the AWD system.

Once you get up to 80K+ i think they should be able to utilize a bit more aluminum and other lightweight materials to put it on a bit of a diet.
I totally agree with you on that. For the amount of money I expect they are going to charge they should definitely try and offset the way of an all-wheel-drive system. And you're right about the tires they should at least try and get 305 width tires in the rear even if it is all wheel drive. And offer a better tire, like the Michelin sport cup 2 or The new 4s.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I would expect someone that asks what the Gring is to only assume trap speeds are recorded at a 1/4 strip... smdh.
Google trap speed and tell me how far you have to go down to find it used outside of drag racing. :lol: I even googled trap speeds for Nurburgring and couldn't find anything.

Also I've never heard that track called "Gring", but I have heard it called "The Ring". Are you just making up stuff?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
announce already

Hmm, I wonder if this is why Ford has been delaying the GT500 announcement?!?

I have even started to wonder whether there will be a GT500 in this generation of Mustang. Maybe they just wanted to wait for the competition to announce so they can one-up.
I hear it's being announced but still waiting, dang.
Sponsored