Sponsored

The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 8.59.43 AM.jpeg

And that’s just one piece of the EULA. I just couldn’t click Accept. Too bad, it was nice to see the service info and all of the recall details for my old 2011. I'm relying on paper trail and normal mail instead for my new 2022.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I just don’t like having financial information in a million different places.
The "money apps" are for sure scary but I know a whole lot of people who use them, Mark. I don't but have had to make a couple transfers with Zelle that couldn't be done any other way. Unfortunately, more and more vendors are using this route so it will almost certainly get worse as time goes by.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
According to security experts, the most dangerous thing to post is affinity for Frosted Flakes. Just don't do it!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
According to security experts, the most dangerous thing to post is affinity for Frosted Flakes. Just don't do it!
They are great.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Why, thank you kilobravo.
When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Why, thank you kilobravo.
When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking.
That is a fact. And, just because I am paranoid, it doesn’t mean they aren’t after me!

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have the fuse pulled. Today I got a local traffic warning on the radio display. I was not using CarPlay, I was listening to SiriusXM at the time.

Anyone know how the car get's that type of warning?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I have the fuse pulled. Today I got a local traffic warning on the radio display. I was not using CarPlay, I was listening to SiriusXM at the time.

Anyone know how the car get's that type of warning?
Through the XM traffic data, it loads traffic data and warnings then shows stuff pertinent to your GPS location. No two way involved.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Through the XM traffic data, it loads traffic data and warnings then shows stuff pertinent to your GPS location. No two way involved.
Awesome, thank you for the response.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Tom: Yep, the thread was closed so I couldn't quote you but here's the text.

"You would probably be fine pulling the TCU fuse, but I would bet that Ford will tie the TCU into other circuits down the road."

Concidentally, this topic came up on the fordgt500 forum the other day and it seems that while the fuse will kill cellular comms, it apparently doesn't depower the wifi radio. I noticed this when I went out to the garage and with the car cold and locked, my phone showed a "SYNC9A" network signal that surprised the hell out of me. (Now WHY I didn't check this three YEARS ago is beyond me but, par for my usual course. :-)

I didn't try to follow the power circuits with the shop manual but obviously, the car's wifi network signal is still being transmitted.

However, rather than spend the time trying to figure out how to depower that radio, I am now going to take you up on your recommendation and disconnect the two antennas and power. I'll double check that the phone no longer sees the Sync network but I don't see how it could with those three connections open. Thanks.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom: Yep, the thread was closed so I couldn't quote you but here's the text.

"You would probably be fine pulling the TCU fuse, but I would bet that Ford will tie the TCU into other circuits down the road."

Concidentally, this topic came up on the fordgt500 forum the other day and it seems that while the fuse will kill cellular comms, it apparently doesn't depower the wifi radio. I noticed this when I went out to the garage and with the car cold and locked, my phone showed a "SYNC9A" network signal that surprised the hell out of me. (Now WHY I didn't check this three YEARS ago is beyond me but, par for my usual course. :-)

I didn't try to follow the power circuits with the shop manual but obviously, the car's wifi network signal is still being transmitted.

However, rather than spend the time trying to figure out how to depower that radio, I am now going to take you up on your recommendation and disconnect the two antennas and power. I'll double check that the phone no longer sees the Sync network but I don't see how it could with those three connections open. Thanks.
The antennas would be overkill. If you pull the data/power harness from the modem, that would definitely disable the TCU modem. As for the wifi connectivity? Not so sure about that. Pull the plug and see if your wifi connects to your network.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
My insurance rose significantly with only a windshield claim for rock chip damage. It took me 6 months of ownership before I pulled the fuse on my telematics. I suspect the post break in spirited runs were logged. Im hoping this “old” data won’t reach the new provider.
Sponsored