Sponsored

The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
It used to be(*) that no US agency could spy on US citizens unless it was the NSA, and that could not be brought to court.
Then it was that they couldn’t spy unless it was statistically not a US citizen. So they put the statistic bar at 50.1%, and screwed everybody that fell stochastically south of the 49.9% margin of the algorithm.
And now it is not just US government agencies that can spy on us, it’s any private business and corporate?

(*): above know/no-ledge came from various Hollywood movies. Please take with a grain of salt.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It used to be(*) that no US agency could spy on US citizens unless it was the NSA,
Then Sept 11 2001 happened. The world changed.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Talking heads on the radio this morning say some congress members want the FTC to investigate. Some have said that if they had known their cars were secretly sending out data about them, they would have bought differently.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Thanks for the link, Vic, and if reading that article doesn't convince you to stop your vehicle from "phoning home," I don't know what will.

"When Dahl requested a copy of that report, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page document that included every single trip he or his wife drove in their Chevy Bolt during the preceding six months. The report included a total of 640 trips, complete with dates, start and end times, distances driven, and comprehensive data on driving habits, like speeding, hard braking, and rapid accelerations."

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Its hardly even about insurance companies gleaning thru your driving data, cell info, texts, facial features, personal data - which is all clearly growing quite rapidly.

It's likely even more about selling your life inside your vehicle to marketing companies that want to know everything, from where you buy your gasoline/groceries. To what roads you drive on, & when - exactly.

What places you don't stop at on your local streets/highways, as well as those you do.. Daily, weekly, & to what frequency. Your life will belong to anyone who chooses to buy it.

New York Times Article;
  • Published March 11, 2024
  • Updated March 13, 2024 👇

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

This 10 min video below, is from an attorney. It is for those who still refuse to believe- or think- being spied on is just how it has to be, because of 9/11, & worth it. As well as for those who think unlocking your car at an airport is so vital, because you only seem to misplace your keys when traveling by plane.

The War on Terrorism is long over thanks to $25 Trillion Dollars spent on it, since 2001.
Yet, we just keep spending on these foreign conflicts that net absolutely ZERO gains. 👀

They have now turned all those resources terrorist fighting resources onto the real criminals within American, thankfully 🙏.
The most dangerous terrorists on the planet are now being hunted down like dogs in 2024. School board moms, rural people who own firearms & raise cattle, & Roman Catholic perishener. All are extremely dangerous pple, according to the "Big Guy". 🙄

Thus, tracking your every move, is a vital national security priority. Plus, insurance rates go up!! 👏 👏 👏

👇

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's hardly even about insurance companies gleaning thru your driving data, cell info, texts, facial features, personal data - which is all clearly growing quite rapidly.

It's likely even more about selling your life inside your vehicle to marketing companies that want to know everything, from where you buy your gasoline/groceries. To what roads you drive on, & when - exactly.

What places you don't stop at on your local streets/highways, as well as those you do.. Daily, weekly, & to what frequency. Your life will belong to anyone who chooses to buy it.
Idk about you or others, but I could care less if a grocery store for example knows my daily habits and the fact that I drive by them everyday and go shopping instead at one of their competitors down the street. Them target marketing me by sending a flyer in the mail to attract my business doesn't bother me, and in fact that may end up saving me some money if I get lots of coupons.

What does bother me is an insurance company knowing my driving habits, and then raising my premiums because they think I'm an irresponsible driver.

In short, one saves me money and the other costs me money. You can then see why one bothers me and one doesn't.

Sponsored

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
This thread about technology in our cars would be most useful without political opinions.

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
What does bother me is an insurance company knowing my driving habits, and then raising my premiums because they think I'm an irresponsible driver.
Exactly! We already pay the premium that they've figured out with age, type of car, credit report, history, miles traveled daily, etc. They then snoop and see acceleration and braking instances (even though nothing happened!) and decide to pre-penalize MORE?!?!? Another bean counter idea to beat their customers like cash piñatas!

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
My insurance on my 2001 Mustang was higher than expected because the car was red and statistically red cars might get more speeding tickets and crashes.

I was offended then that my individuality and actual driving history were overlooked for some other big data mining. Oh the irony that I am now deeply offended that it is being harvested.

Nobody cared about privacy yet then. But many of us certainly do now. For sure, it will impact which new car we choose to buy next. Or which old car we choose to restore instead.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Maybe the "ford is spying on you" thread ought to be unlocked and resurrected. Just sayin....

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
It has been a helpful and very informative thread to be sure but you can't really participate in a conversation then moan that it doesn't go the direction you want. Imagine that playing out in a real world scenario and how heavy handed that would be. If you don't like a conversation you always have to option to disagree or not participate but telling everyone else what they can and cannot do isn't going to make the world a better place.
Sponsored