Sponsored

The Down and Dirty ADM Thread

radioactive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
previous 67 GTA fastback, 67 vert, 07 GT
I'm I the only one that finds in funny that every thread degenerates into an ADM discussion except the actual ADM thread?
Now that you mention it, hilarious...so I guess not amymore :D
Sponsored

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
^What a polarizing fact then. The Topic always comes up because it is apparently that ingrained into the whole new car buying experience. If it weren't such a problem it wouldn't be such a recurring topic. Safe to say...if salesmen and buyers are frequenting the same space then when the subject of purchasing it comes up..the pain point for many of you will follow shortly thereafter.

Sort of like preparing for the whole experience of haggling and battling for a best price before even going to the dealer. It's a Stereotype that lives up to its hype. Unfortunately.

radioactive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ADMs are not ingrained into the whole new car buying experience. Limited production or very desirable cars usually see an attempt at ADM. Most mainstream vehicles can be had for MSRP or quite often less.
I don't understand all the hoopla. If you don't like them, don't pay. Make a deal that you're happy with for the car you want. That's all that matters. No one should be criticized for their choice whether you agree with it or not.

TexanZSG21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Kind of a question in line with regards to ADM, how do ordering cars like this go for Ford employees? Are they able to get ahead of the line and get vehicles at a decent price or do they have to slot in with everyone else and have to go through a dealer and potentially get gouged as well? I'm super interested in picking one of these cars up if I can and saw this thread and was just curious how it works for them.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Personally I was told I would get one at MSRP. I was also told I was first on list.
Now the owner wants one, so I am 2nd :) I am ok with that, except.
They are only getting one R, SO Now I need to go see him, figure out what he is doing.
They are getting good allotment for 2016, so should be no issues.
If at last minute they try to charge me ADM I will walk and wait.
Not because I am opposed to ADM, but because I do so much business with them,
I would be pissed, I am about to buy the wife a escape, last month I bought F250 diesel.
In the last 3 weeks, I sent them 3 new customers. This is normal, last year sent them 16 new customers and bought 2 trucks, thats a normal year for me.
They can decide what my business is worth. As for ADM, it really is down to the money, if you got it, want it then get it.
Those who can't, to bad, Life is not fair. If I could afford the Ford GT, I would have one.
Its money and its all relative to how much you have. The rest is just life.

Sponsored

slc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
If you are willing to pay some amount of ADM it's an interesting time to negotiate a deal since dealers don't know anymore than we do and in some cases less. If Ford sets the MSRP too high those dealers that plan to ask a high ADM will be out of luck. Conversely, if there really will only be 4K - 5k cars built for 2016 and the base prices comes in around the rumored $50K mark, anyone who doesn't already have a deal done will most likely have to pay over MSRP if they want a 2106 (at least if they want to spec in themselves).

I had the same experience others have posted where most dealers I spoke with were wait and see, with a strong indication that they planned to spec the car themselves. I finally found a dealer in my region that was willing to agree to a $2500 ADM for their only 2016 and I get to spec it. I usually pride myself on never paying anywhere near MSRP, but this was the only way in my judgment that I had a chance to order a 2016. If Ford decides to go with an astronomical base price I was wrong. I still get a car but I'll be paying a little extra depreciation.

The dealership I went with wasn't overly greedy and was more of a "bird in the hand" type. I have to believe there a few other "wait and see" dealers out there where if some offered them a similar ADM they'd take it. It's really where do you want to place your bet at this point. Hopefully we will all find out soon which way this goes.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
ADMs are not ingrained into the whole new car buying experience. Limited production or very desirable cars usually see an attempt at ADM. Most mainstream vehicles can be had for MSRP or quite often less.
I don't understand all the hoopla. If you don't like them, don't pay. Make a deal that you're happy with for the car you want. That's all that matters. No one should be criticized for their choice whether you agree with it or not.
An ADM...can be applied even at points below MSRP. Like when they try to nail on a Brine process or Surface protectant or interior fabric scotch-guarding. Intangibles that come into play after you've already thought the deal was done.

If you've been doing the car buying a bit...you'll get that an ADM is not just a price over MRSP...its a fee attached to the given price for such intangibles.

So....yes it is ingrained into the whole buying experience. Has been for decades. When a new car comes along is when they're more blatant about it.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
An ADM...can be applied even at points below MSRP. Like when they try to nail on a Brine process or Surface protectant or interior fabric scotch-guarding. Intangibles that come into play after you've already thought the deal was done.

If you've been doing the car buying a bit...you'll get that an ADM is not just a price over MRSP...its a fee attached to the given price for such intangibles.

So....yes it is ingrained into the whole buying experience. Has been for decades. When a new car comes along is when they're more blatant about it.
In that case, you're allegedly receiving a good or a service.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
In that case, you're allegedly receiving a good or a service.
^Ironic...the word allegedly often gets tossed around when a crime is being committed.

But yes for some add-ons I might consider..like if it were for a lifetime of oil changes and maintenance while I owned the car as an original owner for say another $1k over the agreed to price. As I get older I might want to have them do the maintenance instead of busting my knuckles doing things myself. But, mostly its for really intangible crap you don't really need or that can't really be quantified as a value added to the car. It's just money in their pocket...like selling you an extended warranty on an electronics purchase. Odds are you'll never need to use it. But, it nets them a bigger margin at the time of the sale.

The problem with a new car is a dealer slaps a price above the MSRP to net them a real payday based on the projected public desire for a relatively hard to find vehicle. But, in reality...those dealers have the car on consignment so they don't own the car beforehand and adding anything above MSRP is simply greed. They can charge what they want in theory because they are the owner of the car, but in reality they aren't. So ultimately its just Greed. Call it a Free Market if you want, but this only happens according to the FTC in the Automotive Sales business. And according to the FTC its a criminal aspect of the current dealership model.

BLA BLA BLA.... All been said before. and the staunch supporters of "allow the dealerships to thrive" doing what they always do chime back its their right to screw over the impatient public. Well, yes it is their right, they fought really hard to enact laws to make it their right to do so....backed by the National Automobile dealers association. But even the FTC says many of those laws are in and of themselves illegal. So you call it what you want. But there are motions in place right now to burst the entire dealership bubble.

And without a doubt, when it happens...all the folks pissing and moaning about how its the dealership's right to charge ADMs will not hessitate to jump on the bandwagon of eliminating the disgusting practice.

Oh well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

radioactive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious as to know where you get the information that dealers get these cars on consignment. Most often that is not the case. The dealership buys the cars from the factory. Thus, they belong to the dealer not the manufacturer.
As for calling additional goods and/or services as ADM is also not true. There must be full disclosure on these items and it is your choice to have them included or not.
ADM is what it is. A stand alone additional charge by the dealer that is also your choice to pay or not. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong or right. You've mentioned MSRP more than once. I suggest that you refer to what the "S" in MSRP represents.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious as to know where you get the information that dealers get these cars on consignment. Most often that is not the case. The dealership buys the cars from the factory. Thus, they belong to the dealer not the manufacturer.
As for calling additional goods and/or services as ADM is also not true. There must be full disclosure on these items and it is your choice to have them included or not.
ADM is what it is. A stand alone additional charge by the dealer that is also your choice to pay or not. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong or right. You've mentioned MSRP more than once. I suggest that you refer to what the "S" in MSRP represents.

You're going to believe that they buy all their inventory.....You really believe that? That they own it. Or that they own a note on the car or that they have to move product or their margins diminish over time. Think about it.

And it's already been said that the disclosure needs to be presented. By me in fact as this topic has been here longer than you on other threads...even ones dedicated to the topic. Transparency isn't always the same at each dealership. So you, being an educated consumer helps you more than you know.

I don't necessarily hate ADM's like I said if there is a tangible offered at a reasonable price over the agreed price, then I'll take it. Some things are better off just itemized as a "Greed fee". Or dropped upon request or simply removed. ... They want to add those dealer license plate frames on the tab....I say remove them or pay me to advertise for your dealership.

And don't be feces-sous by trying to suggest I need to know what "s" means in MSRP. Consider who's product it is and who's suggesting the price. Then consider who it would be better to buy it from at that price... a Dealer asking for ADM or the Manufacturer asking what they suggest.

If you want to devalue yourself by buying into the whole pro ADM theory then its your right to do so. But, if you're better informed and have more respect for your own intelligence why let a dealership insult you by just accepting it. Sure... you can walk away. You can also do things in your defense to damage their reputation for playing their silly ADM games. Social media is an extremely powerful tool today. And has made or broken many businesses based on how they prioritize their customers.

radioactive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're going to believe that they buy all their inventory.....You really believe that? That they own it. Or that they own a note on the car or that they have to move product or their margins diminish over time. Think about it.

And it's already been said that the disclosure needs to be presented. By me in fact as this topic has been here longer than you on other threads...even ones dedicated to the topic. Transparency isn't always the same at each dealership. So you, being an educated consumer helps you more than you know.

I don't necessarily hate ADM's like I said if there is a tangible offered at a reasonable price over the agreed price, then I'll take it. Some things are better off just itemized as a "Greed fee". Or dropped upon request or simply removed. ... They want to add those dealer license plate frames on the tab....I say remove them or pay me to advertise for your dealership.

And don't be feces-sous by trying to suggest I need to know what "s" means in MSRP. Consider who's product it is and who's suggesting the price. Then consider who it would be better to buy it from at that price... a Dealer asking for ADM or the Manufacturer asking what they suggest.

If you want to devalue yourself by buying into the whole pro ADM theory then its your right to do so. But, if you're better informed and have more respect for your own intelligence why let a dealership insult you by just accepting it. Sure... you can walk away. You can also do things in your defense to damage their reputation for playing their silly ADM games. Social media is an extremely powerful tool today. And has made or broken many businesses based on how they prioritize their customers.
WOW! I'm not sure if you can hear me from way up on your soapbox, but I don't intendend on getting into a pissing contest with you. I asked where you got your information that these cars are on consignment. If you can prove to me that they are, I will humbly stand corrected.
As for being pro ADM that is not the case. I personally don't like them and would certainly prefer not to pay one. This is where negotiation comes into play. If you can work out a deal that YOU are happy with, that's all that matters.