Sponsored

The big Intercooler thread.

teej281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP Auto
A little new to the EBM game here folks, and don't feel like reading over 400 posts about intercoolers to find the info I'm looking for. Has anyone out there tested these intercoolers in a comparison yet so it can be seen which cooler works the best and provides the most benefit to the car?

When searching for an intercooler for my vehicle, I'm looking at stock location units. But if the front mount does that much better of a job I will look into it further. But for auto-x and daily driving, I feel something like the MAP unit may be just what I need. May eventually run at HPDE events with it, but nothing too serious. Anyone out there use their vehicle in a similar way that can shed some light on this?
Sponsored

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
A little new to the EBM game here folks, and don't feel like reading over 400 posts about intercoolers to find the info I'm looking for.
New but don't want to read... may catch some for that. Haha just sayin.

teej281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP Auto
I'm a moderator on mustang forums. I know how forums work and operate. Just think this thread has been utilized more for marketing new products than actually sharing information and informing people about the intercoolers and what each should be used for. Just saying. If someone cares to help, they will. If not they'll just hate and try to be "use the search function" police.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I bought and installed the Mishimoto intercooler about a week ago on my stock EcoBoost. I got in on the 40% off 24 hour sale. A K & N filter, the Mishimoto intercooler and a Mishimoto oil separator kit are the only non factory parts on the car at this point. So, I didn't expect any changes in operation of the engine given these mid-west winter days, but I do expect improvements when the weather warms up. The question I have regards the Mishimoto test data. It indicated that the Intercooler did keep charge air temps down during a dyno pull (-35 degrees). So why was there not even a smal HP gain over stock on the dyno pull after the Mishimoto intercooler was installed, especially at the end of the pull? Was it because there was a corresponding drop in boost due to the mild increase in resistance to flow through the Mishimoto intercooler VS stock intercooler? If this is so, can that mild loss of boost be gained back through installation of a better flowing exhaust and/or intake? Or, is it that only a tune can regain the lost boost and provide some mild increase in power?
A tune will allow you to run more advanced timing without worrying about higher charge temps. My experience with the Mishi IC has been a positive one.

Vulch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost
Mine came last weekend, but it arrived like this, is that going to be a problem? Should I try and bend it back or just let it be?

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
You should return it.

Brianh922

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1
Agreed, I would return it and ask for an exchange.

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
That's no bueno! I installed the mishimoto and the product was very well put together. Gain some slightly noticeable power. Posted best 0-60 times yet. Don't have a tune yet so can't really take full advantage. I think it's rated similarly for HP.

BTW that's what you can see on the outside of that intercooler, imagine what the inside may look like...

m4udin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So the levels is a bolt on? That thing is huge, don't you have to remove the shutters to use that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Levels required the bottom shutters to be removed. It's easier to just remove the whole shutter system.

danzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Vulch

Got my intercooler from them about 3 weeks ago. It was packed in a way that the container box would have had to have been smashed to produce the damage I see in your photo. If your shipping box wasn't smashed, I'd say it was damaged prior to packing at the plant. I'd call them and tell them it's damaged, tell them the shape of the box it arrived in, and tell them you want another exchange. Another photo from a 90 degree angle from what you posted would tell further about the extent of the damage. But just from what I can see, I wouldn't install it as is.

Sponsored

Vulch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost
... Another photo from a 90 degree angle from what you posted would tell further about the extent of the damage. But just from what I can see, I wouldn't install it as is.
Side shot, the box isn't in bad shape, but it looks like it was put at the bottom of a heavy pile for the trip across the country, the cardboard wasn't enough padding to protect the lip from the floor of the truck, I guess I'll shoot them an email. Thanks everyone.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
On behalf of MAP as a whole I sincerely apologize deeply in regards to any damaged intercoolers. At this time, we are offering free exchanges on any damages intercoolers with proof of damage upon opening or delivery. We have upped the box size to 36x12x10 from 32x8x8. This should fix the issue and again contact me if you need anything. We are here to help and love all the support and business. Thank you all again, and we are actively fixing this issue!

danzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
reclaiming lost boost from aftermarket intercooler

If you install an aftermarket intercooler that does keep your intake temps lower, but has more resistance to flow and results in increased loss of boost to the engine compared to stock, how do you regain that loss of boost so that you can actually get some performance benefits from having the intercooler? Right now, the loss of boost and resulting loss of power is about equal to the power benefits of having lower charge air temps and more advanced timing, so it's a wash. I'm thinking improved breathing through a more free flowing intake and/or exhaust might theoretically increase the turbo's flow enough at any given RPM level to regain the lost boost. Is that sound thinking or am I way off base???:shrug:

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you install an aftermarket intercooler that does keep your intake temps lower, but has more resistance to flow and results in increased loss of boost to the engine compared to stock, how do you regain that loss of boost so that you can actually get some performance benefits from having the intercooler? Right now, the loss of boost and resulting loss of power is about equal to the power benefits of having lower charge air temps and more advanced timing, so it's a wash. I'm thinking improved breathing through a more free flowing intake and/or exhaust might theoretically increase the turbo's flow enough at any given RPM level to regain the lost boost. Is that sound thinking or am I way off base???:shrug:
Yes you're off base because dyno tests show significant HP improvement after adding a good aftermarket IC and very minimal improvement after adding intake and/or exhausts.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Well since it's cold out right now, he probably has lost some power in comparison to the stock intercooler because of the pressure loss. The IC doesn't improve HP it only keeps it from dropping, so u won't necessarily feel the benefits until it gets warm out again. When warm out u will hold power longer because u won't be dealing with an IC that gets hot after several pulls and loses cooling efficiency
Sponsored