The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
If you just want a functional hood vent the same exact size as the OEM vent, can you not either trim the vent to open it up or simple take out the vent itself and expose the opening in the hood for track purposes?

Sorry I'm not familiar with how the OEM hood vent for 18s is, but I'm just thinking in general. If you don't want to cut the hood but want more functionality out of the existing hole, then you should be able to simply modify your stock one or a replacement stock one to achieve the same results.
The stock '18 vent has a crazy path, where the air doubles back on itself twice, presumably to avoid water getting in, but beneath both vents is a pretty clear shot to the ground. I removed mine and now the vent itself gets much warmer than with it the gutter pieces in. I drove mine that way through last winter (including snowy days) and everything looks clean in there still. The hole is very small, though and I didn't trim mine at all, so I doubt it's very significant
Sponsored

ripvanbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Vehicle Showcase
If you just want a functional hood vent the same exact size as the OEM vent, can you not either trim the vent to open it up or simple take out the vent itself and expose the opening in the hood for track purposes?

Sorry I'm not familiar with how the OEM hood vent for 18s is, but I'm just thinking in general. If you don't want to cut the hood but want more functionality out of the existing hole, then you should be able to simply modify your stock one or a replacement stock one to achieve the same results.
Ideally, I'd like to find something along the lines of what @wazatataza has. The 2018++ variant, instead of replacing the factory vent, it keeps the factory vent then adds the louver behind it. I could just take out the factory vent for track purposes I suppose, but really I'm after opening it up for the heat and pressure relief aspect.

This is the pic they have on the Track Spec site. Notice how it sits behind the factory vent instead of replacing it fully?

20190210_120313_hdr_3.jpg

ripvanbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Vehicle Showcase
Just cut the hood and get real vents. You won't regret it :)
Suggestions on any “real vents”? I was under the impression Track Spec’s were the goto.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Suggestions on any “real vents”? I was under the impression Track Spec’s were the goto.
Trackspec were the go-to because they were first to the market but their products aren't as good as Race Louvers. Race Louvers uses individually angled blades and wickers to maximize airflow through the vent. Talk to Al at https://racelouvers.com/ he will help you out and answer any questions you have.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
That is my blue mustang :)
So i have trackspec still on the side but i did change the central one with RACELOUVER one.
It seems well done. But to be fully honest i don't have personal data providing they work BETTER FOR ME than the central trackspec one.
I did a trackday with the new setup in LAGUNA SECA but temps were around 70f so not really big issues in overheating.
Aug 1st i have thunderhill where we will be at 100f. I do have data there with full travkspec setup so should be nice to see differences.

On wind tunnel RACELOUVERS generates more downforce also. (About 20lbs more)

Fyi guys

I did this video when i got the car to test the OEM vents.
They do almost nothing even with removing the Underhood foam.
They are done to dissipate heat when the car stops.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
The pic with trackspec and racelouvers together.
Also the fender ones :)
20200531_120212_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200622_141051_402.jpg

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
@Flyhalf noticed the center vent has an extended plate that goes up the hood (presumably to cover the existing hole left by the Trackspec?)... did you request that extension? If so, how much extra did they charge for that?

I have been wanting to go with the RaceLouver center vent, but I already have the trackspec... if I can get the racelouver vent and have it cover the existing trackspec hole that would be outstanding.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
@Flyhalf noticed the center vent has an extended plate that goes up the hood (presumably to cover the existing hole left by the Trackspec?)... did you request that extension? If so, how much extra did they charge for that?

I have been wanting to go with the RaceLouver center vent, but I already have the trackspec... if I can get the racelouver vent and have it cover the existing trackspec hole that would be outstanding.
The 2018 Trackspec/RaceLouvers replacement hood vent is a bit different, but call up Al @racelouvers, tell him you want the same setup for the 2015-2017. He just did mine and it came out perfect (virtually no additional cutting req'd. for the center vent).
IMG_3458.jpg
IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_3455.jpg

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)

yes. the back please is to cover the trackspec hole. and honestly it was just because I did install the trackspec to way back. IF YOU DON'T NEED TO MOVE THE POSITION OF THE TRACKSPEC, racelouver will basically cover it.
i agree . CALL RACELOUVERS. say Alessandro told you to call :)
Albert is a great person. very very knowledgeable .

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Thanks for the replies. @gtorpedo our hood setups look similar, although I would much prefer yours as the racelouver design is superior in my opinion. The trackspec center vent hood placement is wayyy too far back... ugh.

I ended up making custom wickers for my louvers (trackspec/verus). They work well with the wickers and honestly probably don't need to change them out, but... can't stop touching this thing.

107825729_299999764669967_6515804426398949217_n.jpg

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. @gtorpedo our hood setups look similar, although I would much prefer yours as the racelouver design is superior in my opinion. The trackspec center vent hood placement is wayyy too far back... ugh.

I ended up making custom wickers for my louvers (trackspec/verus). They work well with the wickers and honestly probably don't need to change them out, but... can't stop touching this thing.

107825729_299999764669967_6515804426398949217_n.jpg
Al will tell you for optimum performance, you want the front fins of the vent flush to ~2" behind the radiator. The block off plates allow you to shift the center vent forward enough to accomplish this and cover the existing hole you made for the Trackspec vent. Also may look into his side louvers as there is a block off plate up front, as I believe both the Verus and Trackspec are positioned too far forward (in front of the radiator) which reduces cooling efficiency.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I appreciate the advice. Gives me some things to think about... I may look into repositioning the vents I have now and custom fabbing block off plates to cover the existing holes. Will have to do some more tuft testing (and collect temps from my gauges) to see how the positioning affects track temps. I no longer have any heat concerns out on track with my existing setup (custom boxed radiator, venting, grill opened up), but I am quite curious how much delta there is from repositioning the vents ~2 in back from the radiator. Would be a pricey experiment to compare my existing setup against a full Racelouver setup, but I may just be crazy enough to do it one of these days.

As of now, my peak CHT is 240 and peak engine temp is 245 at the end of a 20 minute session with ambient temps in the mid-high 90s. Stockish powertrain.

Curious what you folks with the full race louver setup are seeing...

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Discussion point: coolant overflow tank placement

By looking at it, seems like it is restrictive to post radiator flow going up out of the hood vents. I've been contemplating relocating it elsewhere to see if there is any measurable benefit, but after some searching haven't really found any good information on anyone doing so. I have been thinking of two locations... either move it over to the windshield washer fluid tank area (although still elevated above the radiator) or relocate the battery to the trunk (been wanting to do this anyways) and then move the tank over to the battery area. The issue I see with the latter is that the overflow hoses will be considerably longer and be in closer proximity to higher heat coming off the manifolds.

I'm thinking of trying out the windshield washer location initially and see how that goes.

Has anyone relocated the tank and noticed any improvement in cooling?