Sponsored

That Classic Foxbody 5.0 sound

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
I missed Fun Ford this past weekend and was really wanting to hear some exhausts on the Coyotes up close. I know that internet vids are not the most telling of exhaust tone but I am having a hard time finding an exhaust that doesnt sound like glasspacks on these new 5 liters. I heard my friends 2014 this weekend with the FR axle back and it sounded really good IMO. Very much like that old school 5.0 sound with H-pipe and flowmasters (long ago i know). However, for my long term goals, I really want a 3" catback with better flowing mufflers for now and LT's later. I love that metallic humm/drone the old mustangs used to get around 2 - 2500 Rpms when rowing through the gears. If I had one complaint on the new mustangs it is that most exhausts I hear have that high RPM "flappy"/"poppy" sound. I am looking for an exhaust that doesnt have that "poppy, flappy" sound like glass packs almost. Reminds me of Borla on the old LT1 camaros when they first came out which I did not care for either.
I am really intrigued by the Magnaflow Comps series catback but Im afraid its going to disappoint me as well....can anyone shed any light on this? Sorry for the long post. I am just at a loss with the new 5.0 exhaust tones. Am I alone on this?
Sponsored

oldlugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Bullitt & '09 KR
My opinion: Without room for large mufflers near the front of the car and longish pipes after them, the exhaust probably won't ever sound like it did on the older cars. If you want that older sound, make room for mufflers near the front (like right under your front seats).
I think that the modern V8 Mustangs still sound pretty good, especially with an " H" type cross-over. Not as well defined (and raspier) with an "X" cross-over.

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
That is a good point Oldlugs...I honestly didn't think about the muffler placement with the new ones being at the end of the exhaust piping.(gosh I am such a newb all over again) I have heard some good sounding Coyotes but never can seem to talk to anyone about what they have. That being said....I know the Magnaflow comp. series is popular and from what I can hear online it sounds pretty good but does it have that raspy flappy sound really bad? I am considering asking this to be my Christmas present but don't want to be disappointed.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
That is a good point Oldlugs...I honestly didn't think about the muffler placement with the new ones being at the end of the exhaust piping.(gosh I am such a newb all over again) I have heard some good sounding Coyotes but never can seem to talk to anyone about what they have. That being said....I know the Magnaflow comp. series is popular and from what I can hear online it sounds pretty good but does it have that raspy flappy sound really bad? I am considering asking this to be my Christmas present but don't want to be disappointed.
Not to rain too hard on the Maggies, but the drone in my '11 with the comp series was terrible, the fitment was iffy, and the customer service wasn't very good. If you can put all of that behind you, the sound was fantastic. I got compliments constantly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Thanks Barrel! I have all but decided I am going with the comp series magnaflow. they seem deeper and less flappy sounding. I really want the 3" catback for long term reasons so that eliminates the Ford Racing stuff right there. Drone is a non issue for me..I don't mind it one bit. This is a weekend only car. I had dual 3" with 1 chamber race flowmasters on a 500hp Camaro years ago that was a daily driver; talk about drone! lol Surely the newer version of the Magnaflow are better fitting.....right? lol

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
The SW does sound pretty darn good....its the only other one I am considering really. I just worry about the "glasspack" sound especially at high rpm. decisions.....

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I still want to hear the Ford Racing or Borla Touring catback. The Sport is raspy and loud, but the Touring may be just what I want.

Tim 2015GT

Fanatic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
The new 5.0 is a totally different monster compared to the 5.0 of old. The new one runs higher compression ratio with completely different head design. You will NEVER get the sound of the older 5.0 in the new 5.0, it is just never going to happen.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
The new 5.0 is a totally different monster compared to the 5.0 of old. The new one runs higher compression ratio with completely different head design. You will NEVER get the sound of the older 5.0 in the new 5.0, it is just never going to happen.
Firing order. Don't forget firing order.

On a side note, I've been listening to all these videos and there's always going to be that tinny/crackling sound that is found on new systems. I bet half of them will sound much better after they carbon up with a few thousand miles on the odo.

Sponsored

PandaMike5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT Premium A10
Firing order. Don't forget firing order.

On a side note, I've been listening to all these videos and there's always going to be that tinny/crackling sound that is found on new systems. I bet half of them will sound much better after they carbon up with a few thousand miles on the odo.
I would agree with you. I will have to say that videos still don't do the sound justice. My friend was kind enough to let me follow him driving my car while I was in his truck to hear the sound. I was partial to my Roush on the 2013, but the Stainless Works has me smiling every time I drive.

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
To get closer to the fox sound look for a mac prochamber. That was the trick with my s197

95cobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Perhaps you should go to the review section and read the post on Magnaflow..

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Ugh, that post on Magnaflow ...not good.....surely they aren't THAT bad.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Ugh, that post on Magnaflow ...not good.....surely they aren't THAT bad.
That's what we're trying to save you from lol. It's probably hit or miss, but it really sucks when it's a miss.
Sponsored