Terrible engineering or driver error?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Clutch slipping has been mentioned. Had a clutch slipping badly years ago. Thing was it did not slip all the time. There was a long pull up a hill on my way home. Had a five speed manual. Fourth gear was the one to one ratio. By that I mean the tack and the speedometer moved in unison ( lock step) during acceleration. When accelerating in that gear each kept pace with the other.
What i noted was if i gave more gas in 4th gear going up that hill the tack would start to swing up in RPM's faster than the speedometer. I could not accelerate going up the hill and the clutch held.
I ordered new clutch parts. When i pulled the transmission and clutch there was a groove cut into the face of the flywheel. Not too deep. Had to replace the flywheel. Seems clutch slip does not have to happen all the time.

What I do from time to time is be in the one to one gear and be cruising at a medium speed. Then on a hill I give the engine some gas and watch the tack & speedo to see if they stay in sync.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Hard to say from the description but sounds like rev hang combined with an aftermarket tune to me. I never noticed it much when I was NA unless I was on my e85 tune. Then it was really noticeable.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
My car has 0 rev hang. Might be the Mach 1 tune? Not sure, and my 2014 GT also did not have any rev hang(but mofo did lock me out at 7K rpm lol as expected).

Sponsored

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I have a 2018 GT. I have an OEM clutch. Why does it feel like my clutch is still engaged, or super delayed when shifting at higher RPM? Shifting around 6k-7k rpm feels brutal. Even if the clutch is warmed up. It’s as if I’m no lift shifting, even though I’m always lifting. The car jerks too.

Why is the clutch so delayed? Is it only my car or just the way it was designed on these cars?

Will a short shifter fix this? Will a new clutch pedal spring fix it? It’s not the end of the world, but annoying when it happens. I don’t want to break something or burn up my clutch.
It's the terrible shifter!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Toyota started the rev hang back in the 80's, part of the Honda "we can make the current emissions" BS

Drive an old school 4 speed, then try to drive one of these. My son gave me his Scion Tc to drive in the winter, I still cannot shift it smooth all the time. If I shift slow it works great, but if I want to row the gears it sucks.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Rev hang? You all mean clutch protection? Thats a drop down in the tune you can disable. Is that what you guys are talking about?

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Rev Hang is very annoying especially on a brisk 1-2 shift........ya almost need to be a magician to pull it off smoothly!!:curse:
I found that turning on the AC minimizes Rev Hang and helps a LOT.....I sure wish I could eliminate it completely!!:crying:

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I feel something involving the slave cylinder is not quite right. It's either physically binding, there's air in the line or something else is preventing it from smoothly operating.

Edit:

Why was the original assembly replaced? General wear and tear or something else?

Are there any noises you're hearing you wouldn't expect as the clutch engages or dis-engages?

The clutch is not slipping or acting up at any other RPM bands, yes?

Agree with others: I would fix this problem with OEM assembly before adding items or making mods.

Warranty on parts and work done?

Dealer installed a new clutch but didn’t seat it properly so I went back and got a brand new one installed.
IMG_9704.png

I don’t hear any noises. When I go to shift at high RPMs, I can feel as if it’s still spinning, through the clutch pedal.

The clutch works perfectly fine in all other RPM. It’s mainly 5k+ rpm

Sponsored
OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Are you talking about after doing a pull, per say, (or any hard acceleration I guess) you clutch in and the rpms just hang there for a while before dropping? I've experienced this many times and it's pretty annoying. I think I read somewhere it was the ECU holding rpms for some reason I can't remember. But yeah sometimes after I do a pull, when I hop off the accelerator, next time I clutch in sometimes the rpms just hold rather than drop. Very annoying
Yes this exact thing! It’s mainly during a pull. I push in the clutch and the revs are still holding, which makes me assume the clutch is still engaged, even though I pressed it in all the way to shift.

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Based on the answers I’m getting, Revhang is normal. I just wanted to double check. If the car is meant to do that, then it’s meant to do that. It sucks especially if you’re on the highway going 100+ climbing up to 7k rpm and shift into the next gear and you get a hard jerk because the clutch didn’t disengage.

What are the dangers of turning off revhang? (Someone mentioned you can turn it off) Is it harder on the clutch, or just emissions crap?

nicksalvadore24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Based on the answers I’m getting, Revhang is normal. I just wanted to double check. If the car is meant to do that, then it’s meant to do that. It sucks especially if you’re on the highway going 100+ climbing up to 7k rpm and shift into the next gear and you get a hard jerk because the clutch didn’t disengage.
I’m glad you posted this thread bc I also now have some peace of mind that I’m not the only one lol. But yeah it absolutely sucks.
Sponsored