Sponsored

Sync3 and USB devices

Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Mustang GT
I just bought a 16 GT with Sync3 and my Zune HD says it is not compatible with the system. I test drove a 15 w/sync3 and it worked flawlessly.

Any info/advice I would be grateful for.
Sponsored

poorfortune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
'16 Base GTPP - Deep Impact Blue
'15s didn't have Sync 3, to the best of my knowledge. They were Sync 2 w/ My Ford Touch. '16s have a completely different operating system, and hardware.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on an update to correct your issues either. The Zune has been discontinued for a few years now, and software developers are not inclined to put out updates to support older/obsolete devices.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Mustang GT
It was said in an article I read that the Zune is the best MP3 player you will (n)ever own. It's too. Bad,the Zune is the best,and the marketplace still exists thanks to Microsoft switching Zune players to phones.

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
'15s didn't have Sync 3, to the best of my knowledge. They were Sync 2 w/ My Ford Touch. '16s have a completely different operating system, and hardware.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on an update to correct your issues either. The Zune has been discontinued for a few years now, and software developers are not inclined to put out updates to support older/obsolete devices.
I have a 15 with sync2.

It may not help but my USB input gives me the option to "Browse Files". All my albums are in different folders and it lets me play just what is in each one. I'm surprised they would take this option out. Well, maybe I'm not that surprised. Sync systems in general seem to be pretty poorly thought out.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
It was said in an article I read that the Zune is the best MP3 player you will (n)ever own. It's too. Bad,the Zune is the best,and the marketplace still exists thanks to Microsoft switching Zune players to phones.
The Zune was great. RIP.

JR

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I actually still use my Zune 120 hard drive MP3 player. Until recently when I got a 128gb sd card for my phone it was the only way I could take my entire music collection with me. I love it and I'm sad that the Zune and other dedicated mp3 players have gone the way of the dodo. But at least we can carry our tunes in our phones and on flash drives, etc.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP Mustang GT
Happy squirrel....could I use my zune software on my computer to D/L my files to a thumb drive? I am as dumb as a stump when it comes to this stuff.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Ooh, probably not. I have a different model than you (a Zune 120 instead of a Zune HD) and mine uses a small hard drive (while I believe yours uses flash memory). But regardless, I don't think you can download from the Zune to a computer. I believe it is like an ipod in that it is a one way street. Once you upload music from your computer to the Zune it gets merged into one big file. I believe this was a compromise that Microsoft, Apple & the other mp3 players made because the record companies didn't want to make it easier for people to steal music (I guess the idea was that without this protection people would easily steal music by borrowing their friends' zune or ipod and copying everything on to their hard drive. Rather stupid reasoning since you can just do the same thing with a portable hard drive or thumb drive).

In order to get the music on to the zune you must have had your music on a computer at some point. Is it still there? Actually, I just realized I may have misunderstood your post. I can't tell if you're asking if you can download directly from your zune on to a flash drive or if you can download music from your computer to a flash drive.

If you still have all the music on your computer, you can definitely download it on to a flash drive, but I don't think you can use your zune software. That software is meant only for zunes. Instead, you'll just have to copy the music folders from your PC onto the flash drive using windows explorer.

Depending on your flash drive size you may have to format the flash drive first. I believe someone in this forum commented that with Sync2/MFT you had to format any flash drive over 16 or 32 GB (can't remember which) to the FAT32 format. I don't know if that's still the case with the new Sync 3 system (which your 2016 model should have). Unfortunately, I don't have my 2016 Mustang yet so I can't say for sure.

If that's the case, you'll need to download a program to format for FAT32 (because Windows won't let you do that without a separate program for some stupid reason), format the flash drive in FAT32 format, then download your music on to the drive using windows explorer.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
sync 3 is a brand new system to ford, myford touch worked because it was partnered with microsoft

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Since I did not see it mentioned but I have found the following to be true on a 2016 S550 Premium:

If I plug my iPhone USB cable into the USB port found under the center stack in front of the shifter, the phone just charges, it will not uplink or "connect" to the SYNC 3 at all - meaning it's not recognized and even apps in App Link on SYNC 3 won't work.

If I plug the same phone into the USB port found in the center console, the phone connects/uplinks to SYNC 3 and everything on the phone is recognized. The same is true if wanting to update the Apps in AppLink from phone to SYNC 3 or using the "Ford Onwer" app to link to SYNC 3 for health reports, etc.

Try the USB port in the center console and see if you're able to use your device from that port. If it will operate via Bluetooth, make sure BT is turned on in the actual device and that the device has been set up to the BT of SYNC 3 (and make sure it is also "on" in SYNC3). Then go to "Sources" on your SYNC 3 home screen, select BT from there, and the system should pick up the BT device to start playing.
Sponsored