krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Question for you guys..
I did a base to Sync3 swap and I remember that I was told the unit was non-nav but had Sat and HD Radio..
I have everything else working but I don't see HD stations? Do the all the units with Sat Radio also have HD? Is there something I need to do to "activate" this?
Thanks guys
AFAIK, the ACM needs to be HD Radio enabled. Couple of questions

i) Does your ACM have the HD radio disclaimer printed on the label beneath the SDARS ID?
ii) Also, did you connect pins 6 and 19 on ACM to the APIM? I am not sure if this will cause HD radio to not work
iii) Did you try changing stations, actually you have to wait for few seconds after tuning to a station and then the HD symbol comes up

If your ACM has HD and still doesn't show up you might have to change few values in As-Built Data using FORScan.
Sponsored

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
AFAIK, the ACM needs to be HD Radio enabled. Couple of questions

i) Does your ACM have the HD radio disclaimer printed on the label beneath the SDARS ID? Not sure, it's already installed
ii) Also, did you connect pins 6 and 19 on ACM to the APIM? Also not sure, Jesse aka OEM Radio used his harness
iii) Did you try changing stations, actually you have to wait for few seconds after tuning to a station and then the HD symbol comes up
Yes I tried direct tune and the knob. No go

If your ACM has HD and still doesn't show up you might have to change few values in As-Built Data using FORScan.
i) Does your ACM have the HD radio disclaimer printed on the label beneath the SDARS ID?
Not sure, it's already installed
ii) Also, did you connect pins 6 and 19 on ACM to the APIM?
Also not sure, Jesse aka OEM Radio used his harness
Yes I tried direct tune and the knob. No go

Sorry, sure that's not much help. But when I took the module to Jesse he specifically said Non-Nav Sync 3 but has Satellite and HD. I had already bought it somewhere else and brought it to him so he had no reason to mislead me :thumbsup:

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Sorry, sure that's not much help. But when I took the module to Jesse he specifically said Non-Nav Sync 3 but has Satellite and HD. I had already bought it somewhere else and brought it to him so he had no reason to mislead me :thumbsup:
Probably wanted an extra $50 for that:D

You need to do some FORScan programming. But double check your ACM for the disclaimer

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Thanks guys. Guess I have some digging to do. Not a HUGE deal, glad I have Carplay and all that working, but it'd be nice to use it to it's full abilities. I'll check this afternoon after work.

I updated as built for the GT theme a while back so I guess I need to renew that 90 day license.

livewire2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
If you're MFT to Sync 3 NO
So this is one of those confusing moments in the thread. I've been reading this since it's infancy.

In the OP you said "4. Bezel to Hub USB Cable and APIM to Hub cable FR3Z-14D202-A & FR3Z-14D202-B
Application: Base to Sync 3 or MFT to Sync 3 if you want Apple Car Play or Android Auto."

Since I'm MFT going to Sync 3 that's why I was under the impression I needed those two cables.

Anyways. So. I ordered the Sync 3 screen and module today with NAV.
Hextall whenever you have a harness ready to go I'll buy one from you.

Which vendor has the cheaper HU5Z hub?

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
So this is one of those confusing moments in the thread. I've been reading this since it's infancy.

In the OP you said "4. Bezel to Hub USB Cable and APIM to Hub cable FR3Z-14D202-A & FR3Z-14D202-B
Application: Base to Sync 3 or MFT to Sync 3 if you want Apple Car Play or Android Auto."

Since I'm MFT going to Sync 3 that's why I was under the impression I needed those two cables.

Cheapest I found for the hub was from Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

The problem is that I never found a local MFT to Sync 3 that I could inspect for compatibility. With all of the assumptions being made when people started swaps I wasn't willing to state anything as fact until I could physically see it.

What harness? The Hub? Those are available now.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Thanks guys. Guess I have some digging to do. Not a HUGE deal, glad I have Carplay and all that working, but it'd be nice to use it to it's full abilities. I'll check this afternoon after work.

I updated as built for the GT theme a while back so I guess I need to renew that 90 day license.
If you post your current ABD we can help

livewire2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
The problem is that I never found a local MFT to Sync 3 that I could inspect for compatibility. With all of the assumptions being made when people started swaps I wasn't willing to state anything as fact until I could physically see it.

What harness? The Hub? Those are available now.
Yeah that harness. PM me the details so I can buy one from you if you could. Get this install rolling.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
CarPlay report

Well, I just finished spending 4 days in my mustang, with the 2d annual Run in the Sun group. We drove from So Cal to Cambria on Friday. Then after running around together for 2 days, we drove to Sand City on Sunday to meet with over 100 mustangs, and a few other cars, followed by a fast cruise on our way back to Cambria, and Monday we sped home again.

This gave me ample opportunity to check out CarPlay and my new sync 3 upgrade. I know I had dissed carplay's nav before, stating that sync 3 was better. But in 4 days of heavy driving and changing destinations, I have come to appreciate the CarPlay system. It is very easy to use, responsive, and easy to see. Also, the text system is much better than sync 3. I was able to easily send texts to our lead car re changes in routing, etc.

I am still glad I got the sync 3 nav, tho. There have been times when apple maps were not available on my iPhone, so a back up nav is a good thing.

Display: At first I was disappointed in the simplistic CarPlay maps display. But over time I came to appreciate the ease with which I could quickly see where I was going, and the larger lettered display for turn info, etc. Traffic updates seemed accurate, also.

Apple music: I signed up for the 90 free trial. BTW I learned that you can buy a year at a time for $99 (just look in the payment options). While there are many music services...I have Pandora and Slacker also...Apple music is very easy to use while driving. Besides the playlists, libraries, etc. I was able to just name an artist, and it would automatically make selections for me, that were not in my library. Plus, the sound is much better than regular radio, or siriusxm (big waste of money IMHO). I will probably just keep it after the trial period.

Negatives?? well, there are still no waypoint features in CarPlay. When I asked for the nearest Starbucks on my route, it complied, but canceled my main destination. Not difficult to reset the dest, but still, waypoints would be nice. I know the upcoming iOS update is adding speed limits, but I hope waypoints is also included.

Bottom line....big improvement over sync 2/mft!!:first:

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
As of last Thursday, my car was taken apart and wire measurements were sent to Hextalls550 for his kit! Once the kit is received, I'll work to install it and should be able to get some pics for everyone to see.

Hopefully we can all appreciate the time he's taken out of his busy schedule to go above and beyond with his in depth how-to, wiring kit development and the support he provides to the community. The more of us that do this conversion, the more of us will be able to help others in the future.

fordmustanglove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang GT
As of last Thursday, my car was taken apart and wire measurements were sent to Hextalls550 for his kit! Once the kit is received, I'll work to install it and should be able to get some pics for everyone to see.

Hopefully we can all appreciate the time he's taken out of his busy schedule to go above and beyond with his in depth how-to, wiring kit development and the support he provides to the community. The more of us that do this conversion, the more of us will be able to help others in the future.
freaking sweet!
:headbang:

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
A few questions about Sync 3

I currently have Sync 2/MFT and am considering this upgrade. Questions:

1) Sync 2 nav displays the speed limit on each road being traveled.

2) Sync 2 nav automatically displays gas station icons on the map when the fuel level gets low enough for the fuel indicator to come on.

Were these very useful features retained in Sync 3?

Thanks.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I currently have Sync 2/MFT and am considering this upgrade. Questions:

1) Sync 2 nav displays the speed limit on each road being traveled.

2) Sync 2 nav automatically displays gas station icons on the map when the fuel level gets low enough for the fuel indicator to come on.

Were these very useful features retained in Sync 3?

Thanks.
not sure about the speed limit.... but syncs 3 does have sirius travel link which does sooo much more than just that.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
not sure about the speed limit.... but syncs 3 does have sirius travel link which does sooo much more than just that.
Does Sirius Travel Link only work with Nav units or do they work on Non-nav units as well? Is there are separate subscription that needs to be purchased for Sirius Travel Link?

edit: nvm, i just saw that it works only with Nav units
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.