Sway Bar end link stripped: advise

yellow05gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic GT Premium
Looking for some pointers on how to get the sway bar end link out. When I was trying to take it out the center screw stripped and now the bolt won't come off. Any advise on how to get it out a little easier? thanks guys
IMG_8240.jpg
IMG_8241.jpg
Sponsored

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
At this point you need replacement end links. Just use vice grips on the exposed threads behind the nut and see if it will come off.

Grab a new end link and be done with it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Grab the screw with some vice grips and ideally impact the nut out.

Buy new Steeda adjustable end links after that? Hahah. Or grab an OEM - they're cheap.

I believe that's a 6mm hex. In the future, get the base of the nut off of its pressure point as soon as you can by pushing back in the sway bar end link threads to ensure the lease resistance on the nut and the hex.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Looking for some pointers on how to get the sway bar end link out. When I was trying to take it out the center screw stripped and now the bolt won't come off. Any advise on how to get it out a little easier? thanks guys
I replaced mine with the BMR Bad Boy end links. They are solid. Worst case scenario is drill it out. Car is still drivable without a sway bar take it to a professional if you cannot get it off.

OP
OP

yellow05gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advise gents. I do already have the Steeda adjustable end links, that's what I was putting in. I dont think I have any vice grips. I'll have to look around. I couldn't get a set of regular pliers in there to hold the nut steady.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks for the advise gents. I do already have the Steeda adjustable end links, that's what I was putting in. I dont think I have any vice grips. I'll have to look around. I couldn't get a set of regular pliers in there to hold the nut steady.
Grab it on the back side of the sway bar. Pull the end link nut all the way against the sway bar and grab the end link on the other side with the pliers. You may have to unbolt the rear mounts to take some of the preload off of the sway bar and give you a little wiggle room.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Good choice on the Steeda links. :headbang:

As an alternative to vice grips, wrap a towel into the regular pliars and grip it as best as you can. An impact will take that right off.

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
IF you have a welder, you can weld a rod or screw driver onto the thread portion of the endlink and use it to get enough leverage :) Downside will be your screw driver will go with the end link unless you grind them apart lol

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Oh well good luck with that. ;)

OP
OP

yellow05gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Update** I ended up using a die cutter and cut the bolt off. Ended up having to do this to both back end links. These things are extremely easy to strip so if you plan on upgrading or changing yours out, be careful not to strip yours. I want to think I was being gentle with them, but still ended up doing it twice.

Sponsored
OP
OP

yellow05gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
They're easy to strip out. If you don't use the right tool, sure.
I definitely used the right tools to do it. It is just strange to me the top bolt on both rears stripped out, but the rest were fine.
Sponsored